Use for an NFC Tag.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I setup a tag to turn on / off the WiFi. I wanted it near my door, but didn't want to just stick it where it would be visible, so I tried putting it underneath the light switch cover. Amazingly it works great without any problems.

2013-05-18 16.05.27.jpg

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
i have one hidden in the visor of my car that turns off wifi, turns up the media volume and opens my music player at the same time

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy and Radio Shack carry the Samsung TecTiles. They're pricier than other options, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
i have one hidden in the visor of my car that turns off wifi, turns up the media volume and opens my music player at the same time

I have another one that will turn on bluetooth and open up Google Music at the same time so I can play my music through my home bluetooth receiver. I just haven't found a good hiding spot yet.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my tags off amazon. The TagsForDroid brand seem to be great. I've had no trouble with them at all. Just be careful as there's two different kinds of tags, and certain devices only support certain formats.

goneflyfishing

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
so is there a way without rooting the phone that allows using NFC tags while the phone is asleep? I understand this is a safety thing but shouldn't we have a choice?

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to essentially touch my phone to them. My One lives in a thin case so maybe without that you wouldn't have to.

How close does the phone have to get to the tag to initiate the action?

It may depend on the individual tags themselves, but with my light switch tag, it works fine being on the back side of the light switch plate (about 3 mm) and with my Otterbox case on (about 3-4 mm). Plus I find I can activate with it being at a slight angle, adding another couple of mm. So all in all I can get this tag to activate with the phone approximately 6-9 mm away from the tag.

bbaker901

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
This is how I use my tags:

1) One by the door when I walk in to cut on WiFi, cut off bluetooth, cut on remote app to turn on the TV.
2) One in the car to cut off wifi, cut on bluetooth, set volume on high.
3) One at my desk at work to cut on wifi, cut off bluetooth, set volume to silent.
4) One in my wallet set to send a text to my bank for a balance when I tap my wallet in my pocket with my phone. I love that...lol
5) Also have an NFC keychain set to text my girlfriend that I'm available to talk if she's available as well everytime I tap it.

All from Tagsfordroid ordered off amazon and I'm using the NFC Tasker App. I'm still trying to build the habit, since this is a new world for me coming from a samsung epic, but it's automating my life quite nicely. I'm digging it!

stesyl

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you noticed any difference in battery performance using NFC. I would think you would have to keep it enabled all the time right?

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

1) One by the door when I walk in to cut on WiFi, cut off bluetooth, cut on remote app to turn on the TV.
3) One at my desk at work to cut on wifi, cut off bluetooth, set volume to silent.
4) One in my wallet set to send a text to my bank for a balance when I tap my wallet in my pocket with my phone. I love that...lol
5) Also have an NFC keychain set to text my girlfriend that I'm available to talk if she's available as well everytime I tap it.

All from Tagsfordroid ordered off amazon and I'm using the NFC Tasker App. I'm still trying to build the habit, since this is a new world for me coming from a samsung epic, but it's automating my life quite nicely. I'm digging it!

Which NFC Tasker App are you using? I put "NFC Tasker App" into a search and a bazillion choices came up. Paid or free, and which one?

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm coming from an iPhone where I just left the wifi on all the time. Does it affect battery performance that much on the One to just leave it on?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone where I just left the wifi on all the time. Does it affect battery performance that much on the One to just leave it on?
Having any radio powered on will draw battery life down. My recommendation is to turn everything on that you would ever expect to need on and live like that for a couple days. See how the battery performs. If it's fine, then leave it like that. If it's not making it through the day then start making adjustments.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I noticed very little effect on battery life on my EVO 3D, so I just left the WiFi on all the time. On the One, though, the annoying popup that I get every time I access an app that needs data when my WiFi was on, but not connected was enough to warrant the change.

ksavaiano

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I setup a tag to turn on / off the WiFi. I wanted it near my door, but didn't want to just stick it where it would be visible, so I tried putting it underneath the light switch cover. Amazingly it works great without any problems.

View attachment 68630

thats a great idea! Curious, have you thought of any other "hidden" spots for nfc tags? Was thinking to put one on my nightstand for alarm clocks, but didnt want to just stick it in plain sight. Also had a great idea for any music lovers! Place a tag on your guitar that launches a guitar tuner app, or place a tag somwhere on a drum kit that launches a metronome!