Gmail Sync question

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If you check the "Sync Gmail" box, does that mean that Gmail is syncing when you do not have the app open (thus draining the battery)? Or, does it only sync when you open the app?

I do not need email pushed to me. I'm trying to find processes on the phone I can turn off to save battery.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
If you check the "Sync Gmail" box, does that mean that Gmail is syncing when you do not have the app open (thus draining the battery)? Or, does it only sync when you open the app?

I do not need email pushed to me. I'm trying to find processes on the phone I can turn off to save battery.

Turning this off will save battery.

Also, you should look into a battery monitoring app such as gsam if you haven't already, to help figure out what is using your battery.

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Turning this off will save battery.

Also, you should look into a battery monitoring app such as gsam if you haven't already, to help figure out what is using your battery.
I have GSAM and it shows most of my battery being used by the Kernel. I'm not sure what to change to stop this.

Second question, it show Facebook using some power, but I only check it a couple of times a week. What setting(s) in facebook do I need to turn off to keep it from doing anything when I don't have it open?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have GSAM and it shows most of my battery being used by the Kernel. I'm not sure what to change to stop this.

Second question, it show Facebook using some power, but I only check it a couple of times a week. What setting(s) in facebook do I need to turn off to keep it from doing anything when I don't have it open?

It may help on face book to turn off background data. (Settings/More/Usage, scroll down) I also rarely use it, but I know it does occassional wake the device in the background, although I haven't experienced large battery use from it using background.

Do you have Facebook linked in the gallery or blinkfeed? If so you could break those links which should help significantly.

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
It may help on face book to turn off background data. (Settings/More/Usage, scroll down) I also rarely use it, but I know it does occassional wake the device in the background, although I haven't experienced large battery use from it using background.

Do you have Facebook linked in the gallery or blinkfeed? If so you could break those links which should help significantly.

OK, done. I'll see what happens.

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Actually, Gmail uses very little battery power because it is not "syncing" in the way that some think. When am email comes in, your phone is "pinged" to let you know that an email is waiting for you. The email itself does not come "across" to your phone until you go to the app. Gmail is very efficient powerwise.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually, Gmail uses very little battery power because it is not "syncing" in the way that some think. When am email comes in, your phone is "pinged" to let you know that an email is waiting for you. The email itself does not come "across" to your phone until you go to the app. Gmail is very efficient powerwise.

If that is true, why do I see part of the email in my notification before opening the app?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox