HTC one charging questions.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Dear forum users,

Iam planning to go and pick one up if I can find one in stock tomorrow. Can I ask you a question, Im still swaying back and form between HTC one and S4. What I want to know is I have heard that it takes some people form 40%-100% takes 6 hours to charge.

Also plan to use google now and Waze navigation here as I travel a lot, I will buy in car charger, however i hear reports that battery still depleted while using navigation while using in car charger? Is this true? Have anyone tried?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I would say 6 hours is about right. Personally, I charge her before going to bed so does it really make a difference. As long as it's 100% when I wake up, I'm good.

Google now is great but I don't have to have it on. Yes, it did drain the battery faster. I haven't used Navigation but I guess since it takes long to charge having it plugged in wouldn't help.

That's the beauty of having both the S4 for work and One for play. :)

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I would say 6 hours is about right. Personally, I charge her before going to bed so does it really make a difference. As long as it's 100% when I wake up, I'm good.

Google now is great but I don't have to have it on. Yes, it did drain the battery faster. I haven't used Navigation but I guess since it takes long to charge having it plugged in wouldn't help.

That's the beauty of having both the S4 for work and One for play. :)
So honestly which one you prefer and why?:)

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
While I haven't used my in car charger, I can tell you this. It really is because I haven't had to...
Also, I just came back from a trip to NYC. I hadn't been there in over 30yrs. When I was considering what phone to buy, this was a huge concern for me because I love traveling and wanted a phone that could keep up with me.
Getting to the results. I got 13 hrs of constant use taking pictures, using the navigation (google), searching the Web for info, listening to music, posting on FB and checking replies, and still had about 15% left when I got to where I could charge it.
Yeah! That was awesome! This phone more than held up to my needs!
I'm not trying to say that it fits your needs however just sharing my experience in hopes it might assist you in your decision. From what I've seen, the S4 has equal battery life though there is an advantage of instantly replacing a dead one with a full one, that's not an advantage holding the HTC One back!
I love this phone!!!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

MCompeau

May 2, 2013
Visit site
OK, I've had my HTC One since they were introduced. 64GB model on AT&T -- you can never have enough room, right?
so, On Battery Issues -- MY HTC ONE SUCKS when it comes to battery life. To the point that my immediate suspicion on reading this last guy's comment of 13 hours was that a) he's smoking something, and forgot he had it plugged in the whole time, b) he's flat out lying 'cuz he's a fan boy for HTC (or a schill), or c) he used 5 minutes of music, 3 minutes of walking navigation, turned GPS OFF immediately after, Turned his phone completely OFF between every use of it all day, and is still high on something.

Seriously. My battery life sucks. So what's up with that?? If I actually USE my damn phone, for any amount of time (let's say 20 minutes of music, 10 minutes of WiFi video watching, 20 minutes of navigation, and some email reading/surfing) I will be from 100% full down to about 40%. Seriouslly -- this can happen within 3-4 hours.

It's friggin ridiculous -- to the point I have considered exchanging the phone for another one, considering all the (liars?) folks getting extraordinary life out of theirs.

And let's talk charge time -- it's crazy long. Too long.

In fact, using navigation with Scout, or ATT Navigator, or Google Maps (or even Trapster) WITH THE PHONE PLUGGED IN, often provides NEGATIVE charging speed --- meaning that my level will continue to go DOWN about 2% every 5 minutes while driving!!!
This is stupid unacceptable.

Please, someone tell me it's my specific phone?!
Mike :'(

duytuanbme

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is decent to me, screen on duration could be over 4 hours
However charging may take a while, in fact the One's charging time is normal, but it was the last 10% from 90-100 that take up most of time. So it took approximately 3.5 hrs to be full charged.
But I have the habit to plug in the charger before I go to bed, so it's not a problem to me at all

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've had my HTC One since they were introduced. 64GB model on AT&T -- you can never have enough room, right?
so, On Battery Issues -- MY HTC ONE SUCKS when it comes to battery life. To the point that my immediate suspicion on reading this last guy's comment of 13 hours was that a) he's smoking something, and forgot he had it plugged in the whole time, b) he's flat out lying 'cuz he's a fan boy for HTC (or a schill), or c) he used 5 minutes of music, 3 minutes of walking navigation, turned GPS OFF immediately after, Turned his phone completely OFF between every use of it all day, and is still high on something.

Seriously. My battery life sucks. So what's up with that?? If I actually USE my damn phone, for any amount of time (let's say 20 minutes of music, 10 minutes of WiFi video watching, 20 minutes of navigation, and some email reading/surfing) I will be from 100% full down to about 40%. Seriouslly -- this can happen within 3-4 hours.

It's friggin ridiculous -- to the point I have considered exchanging the phone for another one, considering all the (liars?) folks getting extraordinary life out of theirs.

And let's talk charge time -- it's crazy long. Too long.

In fact, using navigation with Scout, or ATT Navigator, or Google Maps (or even Trapster) WITH THE PHONE PLUGGED IN, often provides NEGATIVE charging speed --- meaning that my level will continue to go DOWN about 2% every 5 minutes while driving!!!
This is stupid unacceptable.

Please, someone tell me it's my specific phone?!
Mike :'(

I would definitely say that it must be your phone or some app that is always on I the background. But on my evo lte which is a lot like the htc one and I get 14 hours of heavy use and about 18 with moderate use. My friend who has the htc one gets about 13 hours of really heavy use and about 18 to 20 hours of moderate use.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
LTE can drain the battery quickly, especially if you are on places with not so good coverage.
Apart from that you can download this:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en&token=hwCW3bEE

And check your performance, so you can be more specific.
Charging is about 3 hours (I think) and yes it is slow.
The slowest part is from 99% to 100% which can take ages.
However the battery performance is very good in my case. With my use I get about 30 hours from each charge.

ha5smu

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to see you have really poor battery life.

I am seriously thinking it must be a faulty phone. I have just come from an iphone 5 to the HTC one and although the battery life is not as good, I still find it to be very good. It does take a while to charge, but not as long as some other people have said. I use my phone quite a lot for web browsing and Netflix through 3G and find that the battery hold up well.
I have had an issue with in car chargers though. I think it is related to the amps the charger puts out, but the charger I got with the phone did not even charge the phone in the car. When I used my wifes backberry car charger it worked fine, so it would appear not all car chargers are equal.
Also when I had to exchange my HTC one due to a headphone issue the sales guy who had an S4 asked me about my battery life, which I said was good. He said the S4 was terrible as it was 9:30, it was fully charged at 7, he had only listened to some music on the way to work and it was down to 40%. The reviews of the S4 do not reflect this. It may be out of the millions of phones sold all battery's are not equal. Obviously with the S4 you can change the battery, but if the HTC one is bad I would get it changed.
Also on mine I am running a custom launcher with lots of widgets and a live wallpaper.
Have you rooted your phone?
Also check the battery stats in settings. It will tell you what has been using your battery and a graph of its use over time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My battery life can be bad.... But that's because I stress mobile data hard while at work.. And screen on time :p.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

czervik85

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I travel about 90 miles a day, almost 2 hours, and simultaneously use waze and stream Google Play music or pocket casts. My evo 3d would die on the charger. My one will retain most of the battery life. I do use power saver and automatic brightness on the screen. I will also occasionally shut the screen off if I will be on a long stretch of highway.

I almost wanted to get a s4 so I could use multiwindow for this but it doesn't look like those apps are compatible. I ended up getting a one for other reasons and don't really regret it yet.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my 64GB One a little over a week ago and installed Battery Guru on it from Qualcomm. I now typically get about 12-13 hours before I start thinking about charging (down to 25-30%). This is with about 4-5 hours of music playback (mostly local, but some streaming through Play All Access), under an hour of playing games, a few hours browsing, and Facebook/Google+/Twitter use.

I'm loving the battery life. This is almost as much usage as I got from my Galaxy S3 WITH Mophie!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36