Ending the Menu Key Argument for Good(Hopefully)

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That's where I'm confused I guess, according to Alex on the front page and the linked tweets, Google doesnt want the menu key hidden. Am I reading it wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Your link is a year and half old. I'm read what Alex wrote on the home page.

They don't want the onscreen menu button to be hidden and remapped to a hardware key. They have made it standard to have a soft menu button, whether it be a black bar at the bottom of the screen, or incorporated into the app.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
That's where I'm confused I guess, according to Alex on the front page and the linked tweets, Google doesnt want the menu key hidden. Am I reading it wrong?
As I understand it, they want some visible manifestation of the menu button. Preferably, by their standard, an on-screen overflow button. But if not, the manufacturer can buck the standard and put a physical button on, as long as there is a dedicated visual manifestation of the menu function. What they do NOT want is a menu button that is not visible and obvious, ala long pressing the back button or some other "hidden" way, as I believe HTC did on the One X and the Evo LTE.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
They don't want the onscreen menu button to be hidden and remapped to a hardware key. They have made it standard to have a soft menu button, whether it be a black bar at the bottom of the screen, or incorporated into the app.

OK, then more confusion. I dont have a black bar on my Nexus 7. So Google is ok with an HTC One that has a black menu bar while the Nexus and S4 dont?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
OK, then more confusion. I dont have a black bar on my Nexus 7. So Google is ok with an HTC One that has a black menu bar while the Nexus and S4 dont?

Your nexus 7 has a soft menu key, and the s4 has a hard menu key. While it differs from the standard, it is still functional.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So Alex was just speculating on whether or not HTC would address it, not saying the Google was mandating the elimination of the black bar.

I think I got it now.

Thank you for coming up to speed without being insulting or disrespectful to any other members in the process.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You should unless you've rooted and installed a custom ROM. It just also contains the Back, Home, and Multitasking on-screen buttons.

On the Nexus I see the menu dots in the upper right hand corner, out of the way. On the One, the bar on the bottom.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
On the Nexus I see the menu dots in the upper right hand corner, out of the way. On the One, the bar on the bottom.

I believe that in some apps that don't support the right hand menu button, a bottom bar may be seen. Don't quote me on that, though, because I don't personally have an n7, I've only played around with one.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Excellent point.

As of January 2012, Google changed application guidelines (not hard, fast rules -- guidelines) to depreciate the menu. Apps that follow the guidelines (use Google Play as an example) will show three dots in the Action Bar (usually at the top of the screen) for secondary things like settings. Anything outside of the main functions of the app, which should be included on the Action Bar itself.

When an app is not built to these guidelines, you'll see a three dot menu item. On devices like the Nexus 7, it's placed along with the on-screen buttons. On devices without on-screen buttons, it's put in the same place but with only one item (the three-dot menu) it looks like a black bar with three dots in the center.

When a device starts up there is a file that's read that tells the OS a little about the hardware. In this file you can define that the device HAS a physical menu key, or doesn't have one. WHen an app calls for a menu, it's displayed as described above, based on whether the device has a key or not.

The best news is that Google knows developers are ignoring this recommendation, so they are revamping things again with a new layout using a sliding panel from the left, like the one in the Android Central app. This was a big deal at I/O, to let developers know that the best looking apps will all be uniform with this new panel.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Excellent point.

As of January 2012, Google changed application guidelines (not hard, fast rules -- guidelines) to depreciate the menu. Apps that follow the guidelines (use Google Play as an example) will show three dots in the Action Bar (usually at the top of the screen) for secondary things like settings. Anything outside of the main functions of the app, which should be included on the Action Bar itself.

When an app is not built to these guidelines, you'll see a three dot menu item. On devices like the Nexus 7, it's placed along with the on-screen buttons. On devices without on-screen buttons, it's put in the same place but with only one item (the three-dot menu) it looks like a black bar with three dots in the center.

When a device starts up there is a file that's read that tells the OS a little about the hardware. In this file you can define that the device HAS a physical menu key, or doesn't have one. WHen an app calls for a menu, it's displayed as described above, based on whether the device has a key or not.

The best news is that Google knows developers are ignoring this recommendation, so they are revamping things again with a new layout using a sliding panel from the left, like the one in the Android Central app. This was a big deal at I/O, to let developers know that the best looking apps will all be uniform with this new panel.

BTW, the AC app is pure awesome. 10x smoother than desktop web version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674