Ending the Menu Key Argument for Good(Hopefully)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Personally I'd rather just have a dedicated capacitive menu button at the bottom with the others. I like it on my GS2. It's what I'm used to. It's convenient. I used it just now to begin replying to this thread in the Tapatalk app. None of my regular screen size is ever effected, and apps don't have to worry about an UI button on every page and what it's going to look like and where it's going to go. One-stop menu button. Always in the same place.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed 100%. I still think the Nexus S was the best designed and well planned Android phone ever built. The menu key was always in the same spot and I never had to look for it. I also prefer capacitive buttons over on screen buttons.

But -- I can see why Google wants everyone to adhere to a standard. Having every device the same, and more importantly the navigation and UI of all the apps the same, supersedes anything Jerry wants :p

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
That is preference, but you should know, as has been stated in this thread, Google wants the menu button gone. I agree the black bar is ugly, but that's the app developer's fault.

Yes I do know. Thank-you. Pretty sure I said, "Personally I'd rather...."

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed 100%. I still think the Nexus S was the best designed and well planned Android phone ever built. The menu key was always in the same spot and I never had to look for it. I also prefer capacitive buttons over on screen buttons.

But -- I can see why Google wants everyone to adhere to a standard. Having every device the same, and more importantly the navigation and UI of all the apps the same, supersedes anything Jerry wants :p

I like on-screen buttons better because you can make them disappear and have no buttons or have as many buttons as you want, move them around, have them hidden by gestures, etc. It's one more thing to customize and it makes whatever direction you're holding the device irrelevant if they buttons are retrieved relative to your usage, rather than hanging out Thor knows where.

That being said, probably 95% of people that have on screen buttons will never do anything to modify them, so I realize my argument has no bearing on the merits of on screen versus capacitive for the majority of Android buyers.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am now educated on this subject but still don't get why HTC made this choice when they could've put in a menu key and avoided the whole problem. In a perfect world the apps would all be updated and there'd been no issue.

Posted via Android Central App

I don't get why Samsung includes it. We're both confused :) Samsung made the first complaint device with the new standards, and then instantly forgot about it. Not sure why, for some reason they don't answer that question on twitter.

What ends the argument for me, is this: If Google went dictatorial with their design standards, etc. both the menu button and physical home button (as well as SD cards for that matter) would be obliterated from the face of the Earth. I'm also very glad they they are open, but in the case of buttons, the standards are pretty clear and I think apps should conform with the standards, even if OEM's choose not to. That way the experience can be optimized for everyone, regardless of the design of the device that they choose. This black bar thing is 99% the app developer's fault, and the main cause seems to be that because of the high number of devices that have menu buttons, they don't have a market share incentive to improve the experience. The uproar from the One hopefully can change that.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree that I like my dedicated capacitive buttons on my Galaxy S3. I know where is is all the time, don't have to look for where the menu button is. Also, for me, having the menu button (be it capacitve or on screen) keeps everything streamlined. But, it's what I am used to, having an S2 and S3. I am glad Samsung ditched the Search button. Never used it. Like I want a shortcut to Samsung's garbage browser anyway....

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Samsung puts menu key on phones + Samsung sells lots of phones -> Developers are not encouraged to update their apps to follow Google's guidelines -> Most non-Samsung phones have a black bar -> More sales for Samsung.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Also,

{HTC follows Google's guidelines} so {HTC does not include a menu button on their phones} however {HTC also leaves out a multitasking button} therefore {HTC is drunk} so {go home, HTC}.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Samsung puts menu key on phones + Samsung sells lots of phones -> Developers are not encouraged to update their apps to follow Google's guidelines -> Most non-Samsung phones have a black bar -> More sales for Samsung.

Insert stern teacher voice: Your input is neither being asked for, nor appreciated! I surmise from this statement that all 1,500 of your posts are rife with nothing but nonsense and condemn you to the forums of a less awesome Android blog. Be happy that I didn't curse you with a 4" screen and may the Maker have mercy on whatever shred remains of your so-called soul.

Just kidding, I think that cycle is accurate and that's why I hate it.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Insert stern teacher voice: Your input is neither being asked for, nor appreciated! I surmise from this statement that all 1,500 of your posts are rife with nothing but nonsense and condemn you to the forums of a less awesome Android blog. Be happy that I didn't curse you with a 4" screen and may the Maker have mercy on whatever shred remains of your so-called soul.

No plz i fan! :p

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, then more confusion. I dont have a black bar on my Nexus 7. So Google is ok with an HTC One that has a black menu bar while the Nexus and S4 dont?

#thumps forehead with heel of hand# no, you won't have a black bar on your nexus will you? Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Posted via Android Central App

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Well whats stopping HTC from making the "HTC" logo the menu button im pretty sure (90%) that there was a mod to Remap the "HTC" logo as a button. Maybe HTC will have it as an option on the display,gestures & buttons settings like the multitask option on the One X,S,V, Evo.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well whats stopping HTC from making the "HTC" logo the menu button im pretty sure (90%) that there was a mod to Remap the "HTC" logo as a button. Maybe HTC will have it as an option on the display,gestures & buttons settings like the multitask option on the One X,S,V, Evo.

Correct; there is a mod that allows the HTC logo to be used as a button of your choice.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just love the arguments that say, though not in so many words, "Google has spoken, therefore there should be no menu button and life is in balance." Sounds like what all the iFans say about what we generally consider stupid design decisions on the part of Apple.

Google isn't infallible, and their "solution" to dealing with older apps that don't meet new design guidelines, is, frankly, idiotic. Taking up a whole bunch of screen real estate just to show one button is ludicrous. Samsung handles it better. Apps that conform to the new standards don't need the menu button, and it doesn't get it the way of those apps. Apps that don't conform still work the way they were designed, without having their display covered up with an ugly black bar.

The "pure-Android," "Google knows best" crowd are as annoying as the iPhone fanboys.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I just love the arguments that say, though not in so many words, "Google has spoken, therefore there should be no menu button and life is in balance." Sounds like what all the iFans say about what we generally consider stupid design decisions on the part of Apple.

Google isn't infallible, and their "solution" to dealing with older apps that don't meet new design guidelines, is, frankly, idiotic. Taking up a whole bunch of screen real estate just to show one button is ludicrous. Samsung handles it better. Apps that conform to the new standards don't need the menu button, and it doesn't get it the way of those apps. Apps that don't conform still work the way they were designed, without having their display covered up with an ugly black bar.

The "pure-Android," "Google knows best" crowd are as annoying as the iPhone fanboys.

I hope we can distinguish between agreeing with a decision and worshiping the decision maker. While the buttons of course don't need to be identical, the general way that a person navigates through the system probably should be standard. What stops developers and OEM's from adopting the standards? I think the point is, that the black bar isn't the solution, it's a side effect of the cycle return_0 described.

When I say, "If Google went dictatorial with their design standards, etc." that's not saying that they should, or anyone wants them to, it's a thought exercise to imagine the hypothetical. That's why it's followed with, "apps should conform with the standards, even if OEM's choose not to. That way the experience can be optimized for everyone, regardless of the design of the device that they choose." This allows OEM's that include a menu button to provide a good experience and those that do not to do likewise.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

+1000

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm gonna be honest here, you guys are far worse then "iSheep" at least they don't argue between each other and don't mock Android users unlike some people on this forum have done to me for owning an iPhone.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
This thread certainly went down an interesting path. To summarize:

• Google has recommended guidelines for managing apps with action bars
  • Developers may or may not follow those guidelines
  • HTC may or may not make a button change to compensate for apps that don't follow the Google recommendation
  • Many Android users are going to buy a Google Edition HTC One regardless of how HTC or app developers program the menu functions

Am I close?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This thread certainly went down an interesting path. To summarize:

• Google has recommended guidelines for managing apps with action bars
  • Developers may or may not follow those guidelines
  • HTC may or may not make a button change to compensate for apps that don't follow the Google recommendation
  • Many Android users are going to buy a Google Edition HTC One regardless of how HTC or app developers program the menu functions

Am I close?

94% accurate with a 2% margin of error, mostly defendant on the intended quantity of "many".