Cracked Screen

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ahh the drama of teenage girls. So the 17 year old got into a fight with the 14 year old and the One was the victim and fell about 3 feet onto the tile floor. It was in a gel type case. It has a small chip in the lower left hand corner of the screen.

Has anyone heard of the screens being replaceable? If so, please link.

My other option is to try and get insurance and file a claim.

Poor kid has been crying for an hour.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've heard reports that the One's screen is a tad tough. A Google search may help more. As for insurance just call them (either your network provider or a third party insurance) and ask if you can add insurance. I think most companies give you X days after purchase to add it. Good luck, sorry to hear you might have to blow money this quickly after buying something.
Also, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but for other people who might read this, do not tell them the phone is already broken. ;)

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
If you are with Att they give you 30 days from activation to get the insurance. Deductible is $200. I don't know about the repairability of the screen. Actually, a fall on a tile floor during a fight--I think it came out pretty well. You might try Craigslist if you go the fixit route--they usually have tons of phone screen fix people listed. Also, I seem to remember someone sending their broken screen phone back to HTC, and it was less than $200.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Costco's retail price to buy a HTC One is 279. It probably be cheaper to do that than sign up for insurance and use the deductible.

Gothamoddisee

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You're not likely to find anyone to replace the screen since removing the screen actually irreparably destroys connections within the One. Because of this, I researched 3rd party insurance companies and found that Worth ave Group was the most reputable with the lowest deductibles at $50. Considering you can get coverage for three years for less than $150 it seems like your best route.

All that said, I'd love to find out I was wrong and that we Oners have better options.

Ahh the drama of teenage girls. So the 17 year old got into a fight with the 14 year old and the One was the victim and fell about 3 feet onto the tile floor. It was in a gel type case. It has a small chip in the lower left hand corner of the screen.

Has anyone heard of the screens being replaceable? If so, please link.

My other option is to try and get insurance and file a claim.

Poor kid has been crying for an hour.

Posted via Android Central App

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Costco's retail price to buy a HTC One is 279. It probably be cheaper to do that than sign up for insurance and use the deductible.

Where are you seeing this price? On Costco's website I only see options for new lines w/ 2-yr. contract, upgrades and add-a-line. I don't see anywhere you can buy the phone outright for $279???

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Where are you seeing this price? On Costco's website I only see options for new lines w/ 2-yr. contract, upgrades and add-a-line. I don't see anywhere you can buy the phone outright for $279???

It lists the retail price as 279. I am not sure on their rules for outright retail purchase, but in California any subsidized phone is taxed at it's retail price. So when I bought my S4 I had to pay 55 dollars in taxes. When I bought the HTC for my wife from Costco it was only 25 bucks.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that is the subsidized price.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
And my opinion on the subject would be to make the 17 year old (if that's whose phone it is) work off the cost of repair or replacement. An expensive device becoming collateral damage from a fight shows lack of appreciation for the things she is given. That's just my opinion though, not telling you how to raise your kids.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
And my opinion on the subject would be to make the 17 year old (if that's whose phone it is) work off the cost of repair or replacement. An expensive device becoming collateral damage from a fight shows lack of appreciation for the things she is given. That's just my opinion though, not telling you how to raise your kids.

You're 100% correct. I found a place nearby that will replace the screen for 149. They have done several already. My daughter will be paying for it with baby sitting money. Going forward I have insurance on all of our phones with the company suggested in this thread.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You're 100% correct. I found a place nearby that will replace the screen for 149. They have done several already. My daughter will be paying for it with baby sitting money. Going forward I have insurance on all of our phones with the company suggested in this thread.

Hopefully they do good work, as I hear it is a difficult tear down. Kudos on teaching your children responsibility, too many kids these days get away with it (my husband included!)

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Man please take some before and after shots of the phone. Where are you taking it for repair? I am so uneasy about shops who are unaware of the difficulty taking on this job and then destroying my phone.