HTC One: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

HusamHaopsh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

I've had my Note 2 for around 6 months now, and I personally think that installing a screen protector is the best investment I ever made on this phone, after 2 weeks of buying it I accidently dropped it outdoors in a car wash while trying to take a photo of my car =S
The screen protector got scratched real deep, but after replacing it everything is fine!
a month after that I decided that the note 2 screen was way too big to be private, so I installed a privacy screen protector (which dims the screen a bit) but does the job just as great... I have had a few more drops since then... in some cases outdoors, and so far no screen damage (thank God).
If I did not have the screen protector on my screen it would have been cracked a long time ago...

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Personally, I hate screen protectors, but I can't in good faith tell anyone *not* to use one if they're willing to put up with them. (Because I'm certainly not going to have anyone *blame* me if they scratch their screen!)

To me, they make the screen less responsive and just always look and feel "dirty". I haven't used one on my last 3 phones, and outside of a few very tiny rare scratches (the kind you don't see unless you're REALLY looking for them), I've never had any problems. If you're a real perfectionist, I guess this could bother you...but I really don't care. I also have friends that seem to beat the living hell out of their phones (mostly females who carry them in purses), who can probably benefit more from a screen protector than I could, but I prefer to just try to be more careful. I generally do carry my phone in my pocket, but always make sure the screen is turned inwards towards me and that there is NOTHING else in that same pocket.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Share your opinions! What are your experiences with them? Does the HTC One's glass scratch easily? If you use one t kind? Is it working well?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I use a screen protector. I view it the same way as a previous post did: $20 to protect the screen on my device.

Race Director

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Screen protectors are terrible. It me it destroys the look and feel of the device.

If you get a scratch in your screen they are EASILY removed with a mild car wax.

Having said that I have never had a mark on any of my Android devices for the last 3-4 years but have helped a few friends and neighbors clean up scratches on their devices

ash001

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it's important coz "prevention is better than cure"

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

No screen protector, I hate the way they look & feel.

If I start to see very fine scratches (the kinda that you can only find by really looking for them), I'll use a bit of car polish, buffs them right out, viola...perfect screen again. I don't walk around with sand in my pockets(?), I take care of my phone, and I think screen protectors are a scam.

But, by all means, if you feel better having one, go for it!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Well let's see here........WITH a screen protector, you get that nasty edge with little fluffs and dirt and it looks disgusting. Without a screen protector, if my screen cracks I can convince my wife to let me buy the Note 3. So I think i'd prefer to not have the nasty edge of filth that destroys the appearance of the device.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

I have never seen a scratch free screen without a screen protector. Many will claim scratch free, but they'd be wrong. I've found micro-scratches on every protectorless screen I've looked at. Either buy cheapo protectors and replace them monthly or try an expensive one, but don't use your $600 phone without a screen protector.

coxley24

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I have an Otterbox on my Note 2 now, but I do like the "naked" feel and look without anything actually. But with smartphone prices these days, you need to protect your investment. I'm very OCD about my phones, and if there is just a little scratch, it'll bug me forever. So after a long winded response, I'd say go with a protector!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Many will claim scratch free, but they'd be wrong.

Umm...............bold claim that could never be proven.

I can't even begin to describe how annoyed I get by scratches. I see a scratch, and my experience with my device is RUINED. I see scratches on friends screens, and I want to chastise them for their carelessness because I feel like they are mistreating their phone and do not appreciate what they have. However, I replaced my white S3 with a blue one back in January. I had a Zagg HD screen protector on my white S3 and I had a regular Zagg on my Razr Maxx and Bionic before the S3. On my blue S3, i've yet to put one on because I am loving the feel of the bare glass on my finger without that rubbery feel of the Zagg. I also hated the edges getting dirty and corrupted with lint.

That big, long run-on explanation of my life story is to illustrate my love for scratch free screens. That being said, I am prepared to burst your bubble and say that my device has no hairline scratches on it. I have a cloth here that I just used to clean my screen. I am holding it in bright flourescent lighting on almost every angle, and there are no hairline scratches. You don't have to believe me, and that's okay. But it is the truth.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

^I have no choice but to believe you. I've looked at perhaps 30 phones in the last couple years, each one I've seen without a screen protector has had small micro scratches. Some definitely worse than others, but I've personally never seen a naked phone without scratches. I saw a 3 day old MAXX HD with 2 micro scratches in the middle of the screen. I protect my screen day 1. If I could get away with a completely naked phone without scratches, I would.

superbleester

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I've had my Note 2 for around 6 months now, and I personally think that installing a screen protector is the best investment I ever made on this phone, after 2 weeks of buying it I accidently dropped it outdoors in a car wash while trying to take a photo of my car =S
The screen protector got scratched real deep, but after replacing it everything is fine!
a month after that I decided that the note 2 screen was way too big to be private, so I installed a privacy screen protector (which dims the screen a bit) but does the job just as great... I have had a few more drops since then... in some cases outdoors, and so far no screen damage (thank God).
If I did not have the screen protector on my screen it would have been cracked a long time ago...

I bet that was a big scary fall. I hate dropping my phones.

superbleester

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Umm...............bold claim that could never be proven.

I can't even begin to describe how annoyed I get by scratches. I see a scratch, and my experience with my device is RUINED. I see scratches on friends screens, and I want to chastise them for their carelessness because I feel like they are mistreating their phone and do not appreciate what they have. However, I replaced my white S3 with a blue one back in January. I had a Zagg HD screen protector on my white S3 and I had a regular Zagg on my Razr Maxx and Bionic before the S3. On my blue S3, i've yet to put one on because I am loving the feel of the bare glass on my finger without that rubbery feel of the Zagg. I also hated the edges getting dirty and corrupted with lint.

That big, long run-on explanation of my life story is to illustrate my love for scratch free screens. That being said, I am prepared to burst your bubble and say that my device has no hairline scratches on it. I have a cloth here that I just used to clean my screen. I am holding it in bright flourescent lighting on almost every angle, and there are no hairline scratches. You don't have to believe me, and that's okay. But it is the truth.

Wow, that is amazing. A true scratch free device.

superbleester

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Personally, I hate screen protectors, but I can't in good faith tell anyone *not* to use one if they're willing to put up with them. (Because I'm certainly not going to have anyone *blame* me if they scratch their screen!)

To me, they make the screen less responsive and just always look and feel "dirty". I haven't used one on my last 3 phones, and outside of a few very tiny rare scratches (the kind you don't see unless you're REALLY looking for them), I've never had any problems. If you're a real perfectionist, I guess this could bother you...but I really don't care. I also have friends that seem to beat the living hell out of their phones (mostly females who carry them in purses), who can probably benefit more from a screen protector than I could, but I prefer to just try to be more careful. I generally do carry my phone in my pocket, but always make sure the screen is turned inwards towards me and that there is NOTHING else in that same pocket.

I could not agree more.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site

I bought an Invisashield from AT&T about 4 days ago and finally had to rip that thing off. The screen looked OK when you're viewing it straight on, but any angled view shows a blurred effect - as if the screen was ever so slightly under a thin layer of water. The back and home buttons became unresponsive and scrolling became frustrating because my finger was no longer able to slide up and down the screen smoothly.

Having said that, I would use a screen protector IF I could find one that worked well.

Lisa_Pinguo

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

As for me, no!

Yes, many people will buy a screen protector when they got a new smartphone to keep it nice. Do not pay much attention to your smartphone, it's just a phone, not your baby.

You can change another one when it is too old or ugly to use.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I'd rather buy a phone from someone who has used a screen protector. I'll find a scratch if it's there.

And there are screen protectors that look and feel great so that's no excuse not to have one. Anyone complaining about screen protectors just had crappy ones.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

I'd rather buy a phone from someone who has used a screen protector. I'll find a scratch if it's there.

And there are screen protectors that look and feel great so that's no excuse not to have one. Anyone complaining about screen protectors just had crappy ones.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Except lose change WILL scratch a screen protector, but NOT the screen on the HTC one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol