HTC One: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

I have a Zedge on mine. I like how tough it is. Its GREAT protection, and it's nice that the film doesn't start looking scuffed or hazy like some of the other cheap ones I've tried. On the flip side it seems like every phone I have ever used them on seems a little itty bit less touch responsive. Not much, but still. Best buy price matched Amazon for me, and applied it PERFECTLY. No bubbles or anything. ..Plus the girl doing it was really cute so I mean that's clearly a bonus...

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I always have a protector on any new phone as I always baby them initially, towards the end when I know I'm getting a new phone I normally take it off and go completely naked while still babying the phone.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Used screen protectors for a while, found them to be a PIA, last two phones, no screen protector, no problems. I keep my phone in a leather case and keep the screen clean with lens wipes.

George Ionescu

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I don't use any extra layer on my glass, my phone is for everyday using not for display, my note 2 after 1 year is almost in a perfect shape, never using a protector blabla, soon I have to change it for a new version (cracked? change it)

izanaki

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I have had two screen protectors on my HTC one and didn't like them because of how they felt and got the impression from my use that they hampered on the touch sensitivity of the screen. Now with that being said I do have some micro scratches that are hardly visible but nothing major. Advice: Don't keep your phone with your keys in the same pocket and don't let your kids play with your phone ;)

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I hate screen protectors, as they seem to dull the display. For my last two smartphones, I've done without using a screen protector and didn't have any issues with scratches, etc. Now, I do take pretty good care of my phone by keeping it in my front pants pocket all by itself (no keys, etc).

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I don't use them either and I also don't have a problem. But when my phone is in my pants pocket it's the only thing in my pocket. So there is nothing to scratch it.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I do not use a screen protector, but I have a thin case to protect the edges of the phone, which tend to get scratched.

My screen is about 10 months old, and it's flawless.

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I use to, then with my last phone, the Inspire, I didn't & screen remained scratch free. I didn't use one with my One, & I have a few minor scratches. Guess it's just a matter of choice. I still don't have one, but did change my case & I no longer put my phone in my purse.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

t_p

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

no screen protection here.. i like the way it looks too much watching vids and pictures to dull the display with anything. it's a risk i am willing to take to enjoy the phone to the fullest. the screen is amazingly scratch resistant. There have been times I've dropped it in the car etc fully expecting to find scratches but none so far.. the first scratch i notice is when i will begin shopping for a screen protector...

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Don't use them ever. With phones the way they are now I keep it in my front pocket and don't put anything else in it. Done that a couple years now and nothing more than maybe a hair scratch that didn't matter

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Man, it's 2014 and this is still a debate?

Some people have small hands or are just flat out clumsy and drop their phones constantly. Those people probably need screen protectors.

Some people are just rough with their phones and throw them haphazardly into handbags, pockets, back packs, cup holders, drawers, and god knows what else phone will fit into. Those people probably need screen protectors.

Some people work in extreme environments such as construction and manufacturing which make it difficult to use the phone carefully. Those people most definitely need screen protectors.

Some people just have extraordinarily bad luck and mysteriously get bad scratches on their phones. In that case they're probably screwed as something else terrible will likely happen to the phone, but a screen protector may help.

Bottom line is that is an individual, case by case decision.

Me personally, I've owned the OG Evo, Evo 3D, Evo 4G, and now the One each from launch and have never used a screen protector or a case. In that three and a half years, I've never cracked or even had a significant scratch on any of the screens. I did damage the LCD on the 4G by tripping over the charging cord and causing the phone to fall about 4' onto concrete, but that's it.

As such, I don't feel the need for protection on the phone. I like the feel without it (that sounds dirty). But I swear pretty much every person I know that has owned a slab smartphone for any significant amount of time has killed a phone by dropping it or at least spider-webbed the screen at one point, so I can understand why most choose at least a minimal TPU case or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non