How can HTC be this incompetant

Allen_B

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I have had the advantage of using a new HTC One head-to-head with the Samsung Galaxy S4 since the wife upgraded the same day. After using both, I can objectively say the the One is a better built and better designed device, but you wouldn't know it based on press and marketing.

I stopped into Best Buy yesterday (unrelated item) and noticed a display for Samsung devices that was VERY prominent, well designed and twice the footprint of Apple- HTC had ZERO representation.

Is HTC stoned, stupid or fully incompetent? I am not a fanboy per se but I have to wonder who is running the "show" for HTC because they are shooting themselves in the forehead with marketing apathy.

I know some within the industry review these boards and I ask for their opinions. If anyone from HTC is reading this, I bought the One and love it but I find it perplexing that you seem to work to undercut your own products or (at the very least) seem content with getting the proverbial sand kicked into your face by the beach-bully ****** when you offer an arguably superior product...

/r

Allen

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
OK, Allen, two things that bug me about this thread, and I don't mean to be condescending: First, you are saying that it's HTC's fault for the way a gargantuan company such as AT&T sets up their stores? They are one of the largest corporations in the world; they will set their stores up as they see fit. If they realize that HTC is hot (which it is becoming, again), they will change their layout accordingly. Second, if you are going to refer to someone as "incompetent", at least spell it correctly. ;)

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I have had the advantage of using a new HTC One head-to-head with the Samsung Galaxy S4 since the wife upgraded the same day. After using both, I can objectively say the the One is a better built and better designed device, but you wouldn't know it based on press and marketing.

I stopped into Best Buy yesterday (unrelated item) and noticed a display for Samsung devices that was VERY prominent, well designed and twice the footprint of Apple- HTC had ZERO representation.

Is HTC stoned, stupid or fully incompetent? I am not a fanboy per se but I have to wonder who is running the "show" for HTC because they are shooting themselves in the forehead with marketing apathy.

I know some within the industry review these boards and I ask for their opinions. If anyone from HTC is reading this, I bought the One and love it but I find it perplexing that you seem to work to undercut your own products or (at the very least) seem content with getting the proverbial sand kicked into your face by the beach-bully ****** when you offer an arguably superior product...

/r

Allen

Companies have to pay for that kind of product placement usually. HTC, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have the money to do that. But is disappointing none-the-less. Plus, I haven't really cared for the HTC One ads I have seen. They should be highlighting the use of the camera in low light and zoes, the great design and materials, and boomsound. Instead, their pushing blinkfeed, and not even doing a good job of describing it.

Allen_B

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
OK, Allen, two things that bug me about this thread, and I don't mean to be condescending: First, you are saying that it's HTC's fault for the way a gargantuan company such as AT&T sets up their stores? They are one of the largest corporations in the world; they will set their stores up as they see fit. If they realize that HTC is hot (which it is becoming, again), they will change their layout accordingly. Second, if you are going to refer to someone as "incompetent", at least spell it correctly. ;)

Yes, your tone is condescending but I accept that since you seem to have missed the entire point of my mini-rant.

My post had zero to do with AT&T- while they tend to also shoot themselves in the foot with marketing, I made no mention of them. My beef is with HTC and their inability to effectively launch a product and the abysmal performance of their marketing team.

I will humbly take the typo, but I can't understand similar antics from a multinational company like HTC. If you disagree that HTC (again, not AT&T) is in fact "incompetent" as it relates to the launch of the product, then I ask that you state your case. Otherwise, pick apart spelling and linguistics at you leisure and respectfully, leave this discussion. I posted in a bit of frustration but you seem to have missed the entire point.

I am just surprised that a multi-national company with so much on the line with the launch of a new flagship product would seemingly miss the mark so badly. Side-by-side the One will compete well and win the majority of the face-offs. The problem for HTC is that they either don't have the resources or are unwilling to expend them. O would argue that letting the product speak for itself in targeted marketing would be just as effective as the full media blitz that Samsung is pressing (and can afford), but even that is non-existant.

Again this is an out-loud head scratcher, not a request for an English lesson. I realize HTC is not in a postion to match spending with Samsung (or Apple) but something productive would seem to be in order...

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
How much does it cost to put up a banner, poster, even a sign at stores? Not asking for an Apple/Samsung section at Best Buy.

hTc reminds of BlackBerry/RIM. I was one of the few that thought the PlayBook was THE best tablet out there when it came out and no one knew about it. I've been stopped over a dozens times and ask if it was the new iPad or they ask me why I chose it.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, your tone is condescending but I accept that since you seem to have missed the entire point of my mini-rant.

My post had zero to do with AT&T- while they tend to also shoot themselves in the foot with marketing, I made no mention of them. My beef is with HTC and their inability to effectively launch a product and the abysmal performance of their marketing team.

I will humbly take the typo, but I can't understand similar antics from a multinational company like HTC. If you disagree that HTC (again, not AT&T) is in fact "incompetent" as it relates to the launch of the product, then I ask that you state your case. Otherwise, pick apart spelling and linguistics at you leisure and respectfully, leave this discussion. I posted in a bit of frustration but you seem to have missed the entire point.

I am just surprised that a multi-national company with so much on the line with the launch of a new flagship product would seemingly miss the mark so badly. Side-by-side the One will compete well and win the majority of the face-offs. The problem for HTC is that they either don't have the resources or are unwilling to expend them. O would argue that letting the product speak for itself in targeted marketing would be just as effective as the full media blitz that Samsung is pressing (and can afford), but even that is non-existant.

Again this is an out-loud head scratcher, not a request for an English lesson. I realize HTC is not in a postion to match spending with Samsung (or Apple) but something productive would seem to be in order...

You are correct about the ATT reference. It could have been any of the big three, or Best Buy, as you mentioned. I totally messed that up. But, you do admit that HTC may not have the resources to do what you wish for them to; how is that incompetent? Palm was in a very similar situation two years ago. Sadly, because they couldn't promote the wonderful new product, they died. I don't feel HTC is in any way close to being in such a precarious position.

I pointed out your typo as pure irony. If you are going to trash someone, it really is in your best interests to get that correct. Otherwise, your credibility is immediately affected, and not in a positive way.

If it makes you feel better venting on me, go for it. I think you'll find that you were incorrect in your assumptions about me, but I doubt that it really matters. Enjoy your new phone(s).

nav525

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Don't you think HTC knows what's on the line? They're doing as much as they can with the resources that they have. The Sprint HTC One has been prominently displayed as a sponsor for TNT during the NBA playoffs..I would say that's a pretty big deal. Comparing them in terms of marketing with Samsung just isn't fair. Or you could choose to believe that they are so incompetent that they are choosing not to market their flagship phone on purpose so they can go bankrupt.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
How much does it cost to put up a banner, poster, even a sign at stores? Not asking for an Apple/Samsung section at Best Buy.

hTc reminds of BlackBerry/RIM. I was one of the few that thought the PlayBook was THE best tablet out there when it came out and no one knew about it. I've been stopped over a dozens times and ask if it was the new iPad or they ask me why I chose it.

As a retailer, I'm going to answer that truthfully. It costs a hell of a lot of money. To get a banner up is a ton of money. To get a section like a "Samsung Experience" that costs fortunes.
Putting up a banner in one store, you'd probably scoff at the price they rent that for. If you take that and multiply it by the number of stores that banner goes up in, then multiply that by the duration of advertising, neither of us could ever afford that in our lifetimes.
I know this wasn't part of what you were saying, however I'm going to touch on the "Samsung Experience" store within a store. My company "rents" spots in our store to other companies. The truth of the matter is there's no reason to do this at all. We'd probably put their stuff there anyway based on volume of product in our location. The chances are very high of that occurring, however to be sure they rent the spots. We rent anything from one endcap to the whole front of the store to a given company. The latter is obviously pretty extreme and rare. Installing a "Samsung Experience" costs tons and tons of money because it takes up tons and tons of room. You wouldn't think so to look at it, but if you consider putting in large shelves and filling it with different SKUs that you could be selling for Apple products or the like it begins to make sense why this is so expensive. The reason Samsung does this is to avoid paying rent and having to get permits. Also they only have to hire maybe five people tops, whereas a real retail store would need a real staff to run it. It's easier for them to pay a little more for the "Experience" in a Best Buy than it is for them to open up a shop.
Advertising is a hard gig. I agree with most of what's being said here in that HTC isn't making the most of it's opportunity. I honestly feel I could do a better job (with absolutely no experience in marketing) than they are doing. Granted, I'd never even get an interview for the position and I'm probably a little biased toward myself! I also honestly feel I could throw a stone in anytown USA and hit someone that could do a better job, so I guess I'm not saying much.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't complain about HTC's presence in Best Buy considering how much it cost to do what Samsung has done. Additionally Samsung may and Best Buy may have signed an agreement preventing other companies from doing the same thing. But what I DID find irritating is that in my local Best Buy, there were scores of cases and accessories for the S4 filling up an entire rack in Best Buy's phone section and exactly ZERO for the HTC one. I haven't been back since to see if that has changed, but I hope it is at least a little more balanced now.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy's job isn't to be fair and balanced. It's to sell ****. Just like a grocery store. And just like a grocery store you can pay to get better placement.

End caps aren't cheap. Special placement isn't cheap. And Samsung has WAY more money than HTC. Period.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What bugs me, is everyone used to complain that Apple had all the accessories and Android phones had nothing. Now Samsung has finally cracked that, and people are STILL mad because there aren't tons of cases for their exact phone.

This cultural change takes time and money. hTc will get there eventually if they keep making awesome devices like the One. But we can't expect them to get there after 1 month of finally having a decent flagship that's uniform across multiple carriers.

It's not entirely their fault, although I would say about 45% of it is.

Posted via Android Central App

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy's job isn't to be fair and balanced. It's to sell ****. Just like a grocery store. And just like a grocery store you can pay to get better placement.

End caps aren't cheap. Special placement isn't cheap. And Samsung has WAY more money than HTC. Period.

Is there a way to like your post but dislike the reality it states?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

I have tried every trick i can think of to give you an infraction for bad language. :)

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Do like me and boycott best buy! Best buy is in financial trouble, so they are selling out to the highest bidder!

SENT FROM ANDROID CENTRAL'S TOP SMARTPHONE OF 2013!! WOOT WOOT!

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy's job isn't to be fair and balanced. It's to sell ****. Just like a grocery store. And just like a grocery store you can pay to get better placement..

Well I know that. But to have ZERO things for a new phone? That I have not seen before. I wasn't expecting to see a two sided rack full (like the s4 had), but I also wasn't expecting to see nothing at all either.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Do like me and boycott best buy! Best buy is in financial trouble, so they are selling out to the highest bidder!

Selling out... Isn't that the point of a retail store?

Making money from a brand for promotional space is something even a retailer that is doing well would do.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

This is a good point. Best Buy is staring down the road that Circuit City went, and might end up at the same destination. So any money for them is good in their eyes

It kind of bugs me when people say that they "Can do a better job at marketing than so and so exec of xyz company" (or any other job or that matter). Because if that were the case, then you'd be out there doing the job. Not on a forum B*tching about how someone else is doing terrible at it. HTC is doing a decent job of getting the word out about the One with the resources they have. If you ever choose to flip to ESPN you'll notice that just about everything is "brought to you by the HTC One," that message reaches millions of people very easily. Also, they have changed their slogan and have engaged in gorilla marketing campaigns, which they did none of, or very little of, before they came out with the one.

Finally, they SHOULD be pushing blink feed. In case some of you may not have noticed, social media is EVERYTHING now days. Hell some employers won't even give you an interview if you don't have a damn Linkedin account. They should be showing consumers how the One will make checking their twitter, facebook, pintrest, Linkedin, and instagram profiles easier. Just because they aren't highlighting other features now, doesn't mean they won't in the future. At first there were only boomsound commercials, now there are blinkfeed commercials, next could be the camera, who knows.

But to say HTC is incompetent because they aren't shelling out the dough to mass market like Samsung is a little dramatic, jut my two cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress