How to turn off the HTC One?

wixo001

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys!!!

Hope everything is fine with all of you.

The thing is Im trying to turn off my brand new HTC one by long pressing the top button but nothing happens, just the restart thing appear.

????

Thanks in advance,

Wixo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
When you long press the top/power button, you should be presented with four options...power off, restart, kids mode, and airplane mode. What options do you see?

Posted via Android Central App

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there ANY chance you are holding down another button (volume?) while you are doing this? If not, then I would take it back immediately!

Good luck.

wixo001

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there ANY chance you are holding down another button (volume?) while you are doing this? If not, then I would take it back immediately!

Good luck.

Nop I just tried it, even without the case on.

I live outside USA, I bought it online from HTC website. :s its difficult for me to send thing back to the USA I hate when this happens.

wixo001

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I live outside USA, I bought it online from HTC website. :s its difficult for me to send thing back to the USA I hate when this happens.

I mean case off

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with OP, it usually takes me several tries to shut he One off and I cannot do it unless the phone is unlocked first. It's a royal PIA.

rick_evelyn

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I know this Is prob in the wrong thread but just wanted to know if there was anyway to use a micro sim card in the 1st galaxy note

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

You can do a forced restart by holding the power in for 10 seconds. Try that to make sure you can get that to happen. This will help determine if your power button is working as it should. (Just eliminating possibilities, here.)

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Like madlaw said it has to be unlocked to shut it down.

I responded before I saw Madlaw's post. Yes, that is by design, and I'll bet that is the problem, here. The phone is still locked, so it's not behaving the way it would if otherwise.

wixo001

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I did,

First of all I did try to turn it off before holding the power button for 10 seconds and didn't work.

Then I reset the phone back to factory settings and guess what, it is working :D

Thanks a lot everyone for your fast reply!

Hope nothing happens now, sorry for my english is not good.

Cheers,

Luis

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I did,

First of all I did try to turn it off before holding the power button for 10 seconds and didn't work.

Then I reset the phone back to factory settings and guess what, it is working :D

Thanks a lot everyone for your fast reply!

Hope nothing happens now, sorry for my english is not good.

Cheers,

Luis

Yay! Glad you didn't have to return your phone.

Don't worry about your English. It is far better than my Spanish, French, German, etc.!

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Just checked. You can turn off the phone from the lock screen. It just takes holding down the power button forever!

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Just checked. You can turn off the phone from the lock screen. It just takes holding down the power button forever!

According to HTC's website, it will restart after 10 seconds. I did try this today, and it said it would restart in 3...2...1, but I let go before it got all the way down, as I didn't really want to restart. If you keep holding it down, will it not restart, but just power off?

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
According to HTC's website, it will restart after 10 seconds. I did try this today, and it said it would restart in 3...2...1, but I let go before it got all the way down, as I didn't really want to restart. If you keep holding it down, will it not restart, but just power off?

Mine powered off. I was confused as well but give it a try to see if I did something different to get a power off.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine powered off. I was confused as well but give it a try to see if I did something different to get a power off.

OK, so I tried it and got two different results, based upon how long it was held down.

The first time, I had the screen off. I then pressed and held the power button. Almost immediately, the screen came on, as expected. After three seconds, the home and back buttons began to flash on and off. After seven seconds, I got the message that said to keep holding the power button for 3 (then 2, then 1) second(s) to restart. After it got past that, I continued to hold the power button down. Then, the red LED turned on. When I let go after maybe five more seconds, she was completely shut down, WITHOUT restarting. I then powered it back on.

After waiting for the phone to completely restart (widgets loaded, etc.), I repeated everything from above, but this time, released the power button immediately after the countdown. As advertised, the phone restarted itself almost immediately.

Good to know that you can, indeed, force a power-off, if you needed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC