Got a strange call on my One yesterday...

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I know it's not the One's fault, but I was a little spooked. A guy with a heavy Russian accent told me he was from Google, and Google was concerned that my computer was infested with malware. He said "Get in front of your computer and i will show you what I mean." I don't think Google is worried about malware in my computer. It was a strange number on caller id, 11125. He said something about Microsoft wrote a wrong code or something. I hung up, went straight to Att and had my number changed.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That is very creepy. Kudos on not falling for whatever his scheme was.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
LOL. Yeah a scam alright. He was going to infect you with malware then hijack your computer for a ransom. You'd be surprised how many people fall for that crap. You didn't need to change your number though because they are usually generated at random. Good job!

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Didn't that security app "Lookout" find a bunch of malware with Russian origins not too long ago? They want to get at bank accounts. I changed my number because this was the last straw with the harassing phone calls. (And how dare they call me on my pristine, beautiful, HTC One. It is sacrilegious.)

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Didn't that security app "Lookout" find a bunch of malware with Russian origins not too long ago? They want to get at bank accounts. I changed my number because this was the last straw with the harassing phone calls. (And how dare they call me on my pristine, beautiful, HTC One. It is sacrilegious.)

Not the actual app but the lookout team made an inquiry to Google about this and Google deemed the apps in question to be scams. If you were getting harassing calls (ex-boyfriend?) then changing your number was a good idea.

I wanna kick some scammers in the teeth....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wish they would call me.. I love messing with fake phone callers phising for things.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a buddy's facebook get hacked and now I'm getting calls like this about Google invading my macbook (which I don't have) and texts from women with various forms of the names Melissa or Ashley who want to show me some pictures on some website.

Sorry to hear you're getting the calls. I'm just hoping they stop calling eventually. I respond to texts with Memes and it seems to be a good way to get them to stop.

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a buddy's facebook get hacked and now I'm getting calls like this about Google invading my macbook (which I don't have) and texts from women with various forms of the names Melissa or Ashley who want to show me some pictures on some website.

Sorry to hear you're getting the calls. I'm just hoping they stop calling eventually. I respond to texts with Memes and it seems to be a good way to get them to stop.
Hmm. Don't look at the pictures! It's a trap. I was in real estate in another state, (Fla) and my number must have been on a public site. I think it put me at the top of a sucker list. No ex-boyfirends, but bill collectors looking for people other than me. Several different names, as a matter of fact. They would leave messages saying "If you listen to this message, that PROVES you are Ms. Xyz!" I think this is another kind of scam. The scammers must think that Fla people are pretty gullible. No one else I know gets these kinds of calls.

lEssence

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I had windows call me and try to do the exact same thing. I out smarter him and asked which computer ? Since I have 3 . He said 'any' and was trying to hurry me. I hung up on his turbon *** ! No racism intended..

Posted via Android Central App

MCGTech

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I know it's not the One's fault, but I was a little spooked. A guy with a heavy Russian accent told me he was from Google, and Google was concerned that my computer was infested with malware. He said "Get in front of your computer and i will show you what I mean." I don't think Google is worried about malware in my computer. It was a strange number on caller id, 11125. He said something about Microsoft wrote a wrong code or something. I hung up, went straight to Att and had my number changed.

I keep a contact called Solicitor which is blocked. all undesired numbers get dumped in there and I never hear from them again... unless they have multiple numbers, then you just keep adding those to Solicitor also. Peace will be yours!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781