Did the One sell 5 Million Units or Not?

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
How could there be no further growth? It JUST debuted fully on T-Mobile and it hasn't even shown up on Verizon yet?

Rndomuser

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Only HTC themselves know exact numbers - that garbage article uses words like "may have sold". Anyway, why such strange obsession with this data? Are you a shareholder? Or... what?
Also, why are you using 2 links, one of which is just a redirect of first one? Not a very clever of you...

How could there be no further growth? It JUST debuted fully on T-Mobile and it hasn't even shown up on Verizon yet?
The analyst's magic 8-ball got broke again :-\

Last edited:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I agree with your sentiment. That said, realize that by the time Verizon actually releases it, it will be a few months old so their rabid Android fans will wait for "the next great thing". Besides, nobody knows how bad Verizon will bloat that thing out before they release it. I think Verizon got pushed by HTC into selling it since Verizon already had the DNA (Longer, faster, bigger Thunderbolt) which isn't that old...Verizon will lose money on the DNA. Verizon loves money. The One will see modest growth and adaptation, but some people are hooked on SD Cards, even though those are so much slower than internal storage.

Bottom Line: People will have to get used to HTC again after several iterations of stale phones since the Evo4G was followed up by that crappy 3VO. Samsung dropped 6.2% today on fears that the S4 is sluggish. Samsung disputes that saying they've sold 10-million of them. 10-million to the carriers who will want to offload them much like Verizon would like to offload the DNA before selling the One, which is why they are waiting so long. Expect the DNA to go on sale for $49.00 on contract soon.

Last edited:

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Who cares? I ignored this post until I see people ran with the bait and trap.
I'm happy with the product as a consumer. That's ultimately all that matters to me. Htc is doing fine right now and with the One they have a great phone

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Only HTC themselves know exact numbers - that garbage article uses words like "may have sold". Anyway, why such strange obsession with this data? Are you a shareholder? Or... what?
Also, why are you using 2 links, one of which is just a redirect of first one? Not a very clever of you...

The analyst's magic 8-ball got broke again :-\

who is obsessed mate? The links speak for themselves. Last week there was a thread of 5 million Ones sold so I thought these reports were relevant. In hindsight, perhaps I should have revived the old thread and posted in there. My apologies then.

Rndomuser

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
who is obsessed mate? The links speak for themselves. Last week there was a thread of 5 million Ones sold so I thought these reports were relevant. In hindsight, perhaps I should have revived the old thread and posted in there. My apologies then.

You still (conveniently) ignore my point about usage of the words like "may" or phrases like "we cannot know for sure" in that article or my question about the reasons for you using 2 links which basically regurgitate same exact info... Why? ;)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You still (conveniently) ignore my point about usage of the words like "may" or phrases like "we cannot know for sure" in that article or my question about the reasons for you using 2 links which basically regurgitate same exact info... Why? ;)

I'm not looking to fight with you. I posted the links. Folks can read them, ignore them, comment on them or whatever. FWIW, the figures in these links are probably more solid than the 5 million claim because that was anonymous.

I own 2 Ones and have invested 800 USD in them. Certainly I have done my part to support HTC and the One.

Edit: Since my daughter cracked the screen on the first One and I have to fix or replace it make that more like 1k USD.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
HTC's May revenue was 3% less than last year's May revenue. I think this says it all. HTC needs to stop paying attention to what samsung is doing and worry about itself. 5 mi sold is a myth.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I agree with your sentiment. That said, realize that by the time Verizon actually releases it, it will be a few months old so their rabid Android fans will wait for "the next great thing". Besides, nobody knows how bad Verizon will bloat that thing out before they release it. I think Verizon got pushed by HTC into selling it since Verizon already had the DNA (Longer, faster, bigger Thunderbolt) which isn't that old...Verizon will lose money on the DNA. Verizon loves money. The One will see modest growth and adaptation, but some people are hooked on SD Cards, even though those are so much slower than internal storage.

Bottom Line: People will have to get used to HTC again after several iterations of stale phones since the Evo4G was followed up by that crappy 3VO. Samsung dropped 6.2% today on fears that the S4 is sluggish. Samsung disputes that saying they've sold 10-million of them. 10-million to the carriers who will want to offload them much like Verizon would like to offload the DNA before selling the One, which is why they are waiting so long. Expect the DNA to go on sale for $49.00 on contract soon.

What's the basis of this feeling? Smart business sense says VZW already knew they'd take the One, and would have stopped buying DNA's long enough in advance to be ablt to sell through most them still at regular price. That also explains the delay. Short of inside information, there's no reason to assume VZW didn't have their ducks in a row with handling the transition.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I alluded to this in a post last night, who knew it would be news the next day. Talk about timing.

The 2 million mark listed is around the most accurate we have, of course that is with no official sales figures from HTC. And suffice to say I'm sure HTC was expecting to close the gap between them and Samsung further with this phone. T-Mobile won't have much impact because despite a carrier like Verizon not offering it at all, T-Mobile's been offering it in some areas. It's only now available nationwide so sales should pick up naturally, I just wouldn't expect a major bump. If a bump were to occur though it would be from Verizon since the phone isn't offered at all. I'd say one thing that is at HTC's disadvantage is that a couple of those on Verizon or T-Mobile that lived in an area without the One decided not to wait and bought an S4 and are locked into it. This is going to hurt HTC in the long run as well as the delay that happened earlier this year which will probably hurt them the most.

Another thing that is at HTC's disadvantage, and Samsung's really with slumping sales, is that I believe people are waiting on the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 before they jump to these phones and Android. I wouldn't be surprised to see both phones pick up if the iPhone fails to deliver. This is the only reason I have for why the S4 is slipping like it reportedly is, but then again maybe Samsung's market saturation is playing a bigger role in it then I'm currently calculating. Either way, the iPhone is a big domino in all this.

That said, as a consumer I'd wouldn't worry about it, there's really nothing anyone can do about it anyway. Besides, you have the phone you wanted. But if you're looking at from within HTC's offices you've got to be a little disappointed, simply because this phone is regarded as the best android phone on the market, and in some circles best Android phone ever made, yet it's barely making a dent. The Xperia Z, a phone not even commercially available in the US yet has sold double it in about a month and 10 days time. The One has been on sale since early March for territories outside the US, and late March for North America. I'm not sure if the money calls for it, but they might need a more aggressive marketing scheme.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I alluded to this in a post last night, who knew it would be news the next day. Talk about timing.

The 2 million mark listed is around the most accurate we have, of course that is with no official sales figures from HTC. And suffice to say I'm sure HTC was expecting to close the gap between them and Samsung further with this phone. T-Mobile won't have much impact because despite a carrier like Verizon not offering it at all, T-Mobile's been offering it in some areas. It's only now available nationwide so sales should pick up naturally, I just wouldn't expect a major bump. If a bump were to occur though it would be from Verizon since the phone isn't offered at all. I'd say one thing that is at HTC's disadvantage is that a couple of those on Verizon or T-Mobile that lived in an area without the One decided not to wait and bought an S4 and are locked into it. This is going to hurt HTC in the long run as well as the delay that happened earlier this year which will probably hurt them the most.

Another thing that is at HTC's disadvantage, and Samsung's really with slumping sales, is that I believe people are waiting on the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 before they jump to these phones and Android. I wouldn't be surprised to see both phones pick up if the iPhone fails to deliver. This is the only reason I have for why the S4 is slipping like it reportedly is, but then again maybe Samsung's market saturation is playing a bigger role in it then I'm currently calculating. Either way, the iPhone is a big domino in all this.

That said, as a consumer I'd wouldn't worry about it, there's really nothing anyone can do about it anyway. Besides, you have the phone you wanted. But if you're looking at from within HTC's offices you've got to be a little disappointed, simply because this phone is regarded as the best android phone on the market, and in some circles best Android phone ever made, yet it's barely making a dent. The Xperia Z, a phone not even commercially available in the US yet has sold double it in about a month and 10 days time. The One has been on sale since early March for territories outside the US, and late March for North America. I'm not sure if the money calls for it, but they might need a more aggressive marketing scheme.

Except that Samsung IS NOT slipping in actual sales. The reports being bantied about are FUTURE sales of the S4 not current. Currently, S4 sales are setting records. Analysts and consumers like us can speculate on future sales all we want.

IMO, the bigger issue, and the basis for this thread, is who(and why) leaked the 5 million sales figure for the One and is the number being reported today or 5 million closer to reality.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Let's use our brains real quick:

HTC's One has really been available only on 2 carriers until this month. T-Mobile could only be ordered online (the vast majority of people buy in store), and Verizon (the nation's largest carrier) doesn't even have it yet. To sell as many as they have considering this is a good thing. I expect this phone to do well for them. Next year, when they release their next flagship, they will do even better because many S4 owners that purchased only because of brand recognition will realize they made a little mistake.

I know lots of S4 owners. They want my phone. Every time I take a picture of them indoors and show them how good it looks, they get a little jealous. Or when I show them automatically created video highlights. Or when I show them how much better the music sounds. Or the two front speakers. And then they hold it and see how great it feels with the aluminium.

Then they try to get back at me by swiping their hand over the screen a few times (until it works) and the phone shows me the time and missed notifications.

Lol. They are both great phones, really I do believe that. I spent time owning them both before I decided on the HTC One. But consumers are going to see that HTC is not playing games, and if they continue to make great devices (chances are they will), then next year will be better for them than this year, and I believe this year will be good.

They needed T-Mobile and their 43 Million customers, and they needed Verizon and their near 100 Million customers.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Except that Samsung IS NOT slipping in actual sales. The reports being bantied about are FUTURE sales of the S4 not current. Currently, S4 sales are setting records. Analysts and consumers like us can speculate on future sales all we want.

IMO, the bigger issue, and the basis for this thread, is who(and why) leaked the 5 million sales figure for the One and is the number being reported today or 5 million closer to reality.

I understand you're a Samsung guy but you need understand things like this happen some time, the market fluctuates. It may turn back into Samsung's favor, there's no need of getting testy about it unless you have actual stock in these companies.

The "who" did it isn't anywhere near as important as "why" is it was done. It's simple procedure, companies fabricate figures all the time. It's obviously someone affiliated with HTC, no other company would have anything to gain by inflating HTC's sales figures.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I understand you're a Samsung guy but you need understand things like this happen some time, the market fluctuates. It may turn back into Samsung's favor, there's no need of getting testy about it unless you have actual stock in these companies.

The "who" did it isn't anywhere near as important as "why" is it was done. It's simple procedure, companies fabricate figures all the time. It's obviously someone affiliated with HTC, no other company would have anything to gain by inflating HTC's sales figures.

I'm not test mate, just correcting your misstatement.

As to you second point, I completely disagree. Why would someone who worked for HTC release a fabricated/inflated sales figure since he/she would know that when hard numbers came out it would look bad for the company? I speculated when this 5 million story broke that it was perhaps one of the disgruntled departing employees or someone otherwise disgruntled with HTC.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read not one comment in this freaking thread. WHY? Cause I don't care how many phone are freakin sold dangit! In enjoy my one and that's all I need or want to know.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Let's use our brains real quick:

HTC's One has really been available only on 2 carriers until this month. T-Mobile could only be ordered online (the vast majority of people buy in store), and Verizon (the nation's largest carrier) doesn't even have it yet. To sell as many as they have considering this is a good thing. I expect this phone to do well for them. Next year, when they release their next flagship, they will do even better because many S4 owners that purchased only because of brand recognition will realize they made a little mistake.

I know lots of S4 owners. They want my phone. Every time I take a picture of them indoors and show them how good it looks, they get a little jealous. Or when I show them automatically created video highlights. Or when I show them how much better the music sounds. Or the two front speakers. And then they hold it and see how great it feels with the aluminium.

Then they try to get back at me by swiping their hand over the screen a few times (until it works) and the phone shows me the time and missed notifications.

Lol. They are both great phones, really I do believe that. I spent time owning them both before I decided on the HTC One. But consumers are going to see that HTC is not playing games, and if they continue to make great devices (chances are they will), then next year will be better for them than this year, and I believe this year will be good.

They needed T-Mobile and their 43 Million customers, and they needed Verizon and their near 100 Million customers.

You say let's use or brains here and then follow that up with brand championing, you might wanna take that advice of yours buddy.

Look at the 2 million estimated sales to the reported 10 millions of the S4 and see that the numbers aren't favoring what you laid out. And you give out figures of customers that Verizon and T-Mobile have, well how many of those are up for contract renewal? How many of those aren't already locked in to a 2yr deal with a S4? What about the possibility of them buying a phone outside the One and S4? The One isn't going to move 145 million units.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not test mate, just correcting your misstatement.

As to you second point, I completely disagree. Why would someone who worked for HTC release a fabricated/inflated sales figure since he/she would know that when hard numbers came out it would look bad for the company? I speculated when this 5 million story broke that it was perhaps one of the disgruntled departing employees or someone otherwise disgruntled with HTC.

Why do you think companies fabricate figures or hire astroturfers to make fake reviews? To make it seem like the product is great and doing great, no one wants to buy a product that the market isn't showing interest in. That could be viewed as something being wrong with it or undesirable and honestly people are sheep and follow the herd.

And go back and look at the quote where the 5 million mark was made, it was made by an "unnamed source". There's more than enough wiggle worm for what I laid out to occur.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read not one comment in this freaking thread. WHY? Cause I don't care how many phone are freakin sold dangit! In enjoy my one and that's all I need or want to know.

And that's the way it should be, you've done your part.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy