So what happens if my HTC One battery goes bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Wait, who had the right answer?

If the battery poops with 1 year, warranty is in effect.

If battery poops after factory warranty and before next upgrade, would HTC charge to replace? If so, how much?

I paid squaretrade $69 for a 2 year warranty (plus $99 deductible). Better than carrier insurance unless i lose the phone. So a battery replacement would cost me $168.

I know this is iPhone and not HTC, but I am sure it will be similar.

iPhone Owners
Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan?s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner.

I never buy the insurance either.

Rndomuser

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
right. except that if it ends up that it is extremely costly to replace the battery on the ONE, the resale value will be terrible. I've always been jealous of iPhones for their tremendous resale value.
Smartphones are a bad investment, iPhones are not significantly better:

priceonomicsiphoneresalevalue.png

Think of them as a "disposable product" instead and don't buy such disposables if you cannot afford to simply replace them after a couple of years (especially the models with non-removable battery) or buy only the subsidized, inexpensive (doesn't have to be the "latest and greatest") models together with a new contract ;)

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The mods are continuously reviewing posts and handling situations that we feel are inappropriate or breaking the TOS. If you have any questions regarding the rules or how we enforce them, please feel free to shoot me, or any of the others in the moderating team, a PM with your concerns. Thanks.

Jennifer

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Htc ain't exactly got the best reputation for battery life so it's a very valid concern.

I had the same issues with my evo

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Htc ain't exactly got the best reputation for battery life so it's a very valid concern.

I had the same issues with my evo

They only have a bad reputation from people that have never actually used an HTC device. Their devices for the last several years have all had exceptional battery life.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
They only have a bad reputation from people that have never actually used an HTC device. Their devices for the last several years have all had exceptional battery life.

Several years? The thunderbolt isn't quite 3 years old. That was a mess of a phone but it looks like they have gotten better.

Sent from my Note 2

ipeaches

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Insurance is a waste of money. If a year passes and your battery becomes a nightmare just get the newest Nexus device. If your gonna spend $200 then just go all out. New device and a new battery! Thats what I will be doing. But I have a feeling I will sell my One in a year anyways. I seem to upgrade every year now a days.

You took the words out of my mouth. This is my plan as well. I was either going to do this or bring a charger every where I go. LOL.

I haven't bought insurance for any of my phones for almost 10 years and I've never regretted it.

Also, with Verizon's insurance plan, after paying the deductible you may not even get a new phone, more often than not, you get a refurbished phone. I think I could do better with a phone off eBay.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is a very good question and one that I struggle well as I decide if i'm going to keep the phone. It is FACT and undeniable that these batteries over time do give out. If the didn't then the stores wouldn't keep replacable batteries on deck. My GN2 has shown tremendous wear and tear and can barely muster through 8 hours without needed a charge. My friend has and HTC phone with a non removable battery and she can't even get past 5 hours without needing to charge. I truly believe that Li Ion batteries have a most a 1 year life spand. Especially for those of us who charge overnight.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Use it has a nice looking paper weight. Lol. the battery is a li-po ion. They usually have a 600-800 recharge cycle rate before they start to die. It should be good for two years. U might have to email htc about the cost of replacing it. Usually carries have a warranty/repair center and they might be able to replace it there.

But with how often phones change they might nor carry batteries for ut in a year or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This is a very good question and one that I struggle well as I decide if i'm going to keep the phone. It is FACT and undeniable that these batteries over time do give out. If the didn't then the stores wouldn't keep replacable batteries on deck. My GN2 has shown tremendous wear and tear and can barely muster through 8 hours without needed a charge. My friend has and HTC phone with a non removable battery and she can't even get past 5 hours without needing to charge. I truly believe that Li Ion batteries have a most a 1 year life spand. Especially for those of us who charge overnight.

That's just not true at all. I've always been able to get over two years of decent battery life on my phones including the one I am using now. But yes, at some point all batteries need replacing. But none of us are going to be using the same phones five or ten years down the road. At least I hope no one here will be!

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
That's just not true at all. I've always been able to get over two years of decent battery life on my phones including the one I am using now. But yes, at some point all batteries need replacing. But none of us are going to be using the same phones five or ten years down the road. At least I hope no one here will be!

You have a very special case then..Just about everyone I know that has an Iphone has battery that basically is depleted and can't hold a charge for long.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You have a very special case then..Just about everyone I know that has an Iphone has battery that basically is depleted and can't hold a charge for long.

Read the article I linked in this thread and change your charging habits and you may find your battery health exceeds your previous experience. As anecdotal evidence my two year old EVO 3D battery has probably 80% capacity which is pretty good in my mind considering I only discovered the best way to maintain battery health a year into ownership. Best luck.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

He's not the one with the special case. It is not normal, and is certainly out of spec, for a battery to have the issues you describe after that period of time.

Rndomuser

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Htc ain't exactly got the best reputation for battery life
Generalizations are bad, mmmkay?

Edit: Looks like I was more or less right in my first reply...

"All around me a familiar faces
Worn out arguments
Worn out faces
Bright and early for their shilling races
(this thread is) Going nowhere
Going nowhere..."

;)

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Not true at all

Htc evo 4g
Htc evo 3d
Htc evo shift
Htc Thunderbolt
one x
Droid DNA
Evo 4g lte
htc one s (was great when it was new, but died pretty quickly)
Htc Rezound

All have bad battery life.

I've owned a couple of those devices and either me or a lot of customers or people close to me can attest that those devices have terrible battery life.

And with battery life it doesn't get better over time, no it goes the other way around...

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not true at all

Htc evo 4g
Htc evo 3d
Htc evo shift
Htc Thunderbolt
one x
Droid DNA
Evo 4g lte
htc one s (was great when it was new, but died pretty quickly)
Htc Rezound

All have bad battery life.

I've owned a couple of those devices and either me or a lot of customers or people close to me can attest that those devices have terrible battery life.

And with battery life it doesn't get better over time, no it goes the other way around...

Now I know you're just making stuff up because the DNA does not have anything resembling terrible battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance