Cracked my HTC ONE screen!!!

DJxDARIENx

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If your a rewards program silver member I think its the first 30 days of purchase. Best buys replacement through geek squad is probably the best. I have had I got my EVO in 2011. As long as you don't have water damage or the digitizer broken then they will replace it with no problems. Plus its ALOT cheaper compared to company replacement!

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Ugh...got the quote for mine and it's going to be 225$ which seems more than the norm and also over my 200$ cutoff. At this point though, I'd get charged 35$ to get it sent back unfixed so I told them to do it anyway. I'll be interested to see if there's a specific work order included when it comes back so I can see the exact breakdown of the work.

grgiwoyna

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
and they just sent me a text the other day asking if I wanted to put insurance on it and I ignored it....DANG

You mean you actually purchased this device and walked out of the store (assuming it wasn't purchased online) without insurance of some type? Man, that's gutsy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You mean you actually purchased this device and walked out of the store (assuming it wasn't purchased online) without insurance of some type? Man, that's gutsy.

A lot of people do it. I have never had insurance and run my stuff naked. :eek:.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

-Scienide-

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people do it. I have never had insurance and run my stuff naked. :eek:.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Same here man. If I drop it, that's my own stupid fault. I've had this argument with my sisters for years. They always insure their phones. Paying something like ?10 a month every month for the duration of a two year contract for insurance. That's ?120 a year. in the last 5 years they haven't made a single claim. That's ?600 of insurance money and no claim.

That isn't worth it in my opinion. If I drop and destroy a ?500 phone then that's my own stupid *** fault and the majority of the time the manufacturer can fix it for less than the cost of a new phone so insurance doesn't have value unless you drop your phone once every 2 years or something. I've dropped a couple of phones over the years but I've never I've never killed a phone.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I run naked most of the time but always keep insurance. It may be a freak accident and then I'm screwed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Have you done the math on the insurance? I don't what your policy is, but the one my carrier offers isn't worth it unless you break 2 phones during the course of your contract (or get it stolen). Paying 225$ is still much less then I would have paid over the three years of my contract.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Just to wrap my story in case anyone in Canada is looking for cost estimates. On top of the 225$, they charged tax so it ended up being 254$ which was a huge pill to swallow. Since I was at the start of a 3 year contract and the local repair shops still didn't have parts, it only made sense to pay it however I will be very interested to know what third party shops end up charging when they get the parts in.

As an aside - when I picked it up, the guy who's in charge of sending off all repairs at the local Bell store asked how it broke. I told him and he said he was asking because after several months of selling this phone he hadn't seen any other ones with screen damage. Doesn't make me feel super happy about my break, but lends a little more confidence to the repair and the suspicion that it was just a really fluky situation.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I suppose repairing hardware on this phone will be more expensive than any other device because of the trickiness of the closed shell,that's why not having it under warranty or insurance is like gambling

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Cracked the glass real bad last night and was wondering how do I go about getting it repaired? I tried me local cell phone repair shops and when I tell them which phone I say HTC ONE and they go htc one x or htc one s no HTC ONE! Like they never heard of this phone and this was two different places. Just looking for some info on where to send the phone.....number or website thanks.

Look into this.... worthavegroup.com

I use them on all my phones. Very cheap, and have had to use them twice over the last 2 years. Only a 50.00 deductible and a straight forward easy claim process. You could easily, get the insurance today, and file the claim next week and its covered. Look through the site, its worth it.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Look into this.... worthavegroup.com

I use them on all my phones. Very cheap, and have had to use them twice over the last 2 years. Only a 50.00 deductible and a straight forward easy claim process. You could easily, get the insurance today, and file the claim next week and its covered. Look through the site, its worth it.

+1000 on Worth Ave Group. Cheap and excellent service. They sent me a check for $549.00 on my One and I was able to pick up a new one on Ebay for $495.00.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just shattered mine the other night...insured thru at&t, still going to cost me $125. They don't cover the screen...go figure.

This is why I don't have insurance.. It is to cover the device but doesn't cover the main part of the entire phone? Lol.. Amazing.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
This is why I don't have insurance.. It is to cover the device but doesn't cover the main part of the entire phone? Lol.. Amazing.

So what would you do if you cracked your screen? I'd assume the $125 is just a deductible.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Chris Wallen

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you have fixed the phone yet, but sending the phone back to HTC is your best bet. There is a shop in the Twin Cities that will replace the screen on a One, but they charge $100 more than HTC, and there is no guaranty that the warranty won't be voided. HTC takes about 2 weeks to do the job, but they cost less and your warranty will still be good.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So what would you do if you cracked your screen? I'd assume the $125 is just a deductible.

I doubt it's a deductible if they don't cover it. You usually only pay a deductible with your insurance if.. They cover it. Sounds like he just paid for the screen replacement out of pocket.. Like I'd do if I broke mine.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I doubt it's a deductible if they don't cover it. You usually only pay a deductible with your insurance if.. They cover it. Sounds like he just paid for the screen replacement out of pocket.. Like I'd do if I broke mine.

I know Sprints insurance covers it with a $150 deductible.

yellow slider

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
they don't require any evidence that the phone (One) is OK? does anyone can "loose" his phone and get claim the money from them? sounds too easy for thieves.
how does it work? does it matter where I live?

Thanks!

QuasarZ71

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife dropped her HTC One a few weeks ago and cracked the screen. We have a rider on our homeowners for our smart phones with $0 deductible. It's $3 a month to cover both mine and my wife's HTC One. You should look into adding a rider to homeowner's or renter's insurance.

We bought a replacement HTC One and emailed the receipt to the insurance company. In less than a week we had a check to cover the replacement cost. My insurance agent didn't even know this was an option until I asked him to check into it. He's switch from carrier insurance to a rider after seeing it in action.

I still have the old phone too. It's in perfect working order except the glass is spider webbed. I was thinking of having it repaired and then selling it or just selling it as is. It would work well as a test phone for a developer.

Edit: The only issue I had was that the 3rd party Sprint store in town would not sell us a replacement without a contract. They gave me some malarkey about world phones and they can't sell one without a contract because Sprint and the government doesn't like it. I knew it all came down to them trying to sign me into another contract since that's were they make their commission. I ended up buying it through Newegg.com and had to wait a few days instead of getting one on the spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos