HTC One on Best Buy Warranty?

Antitryptic

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
So... I dropped my One today. It was in its case, thankfully, to sustain much of the impact, but the chamfered edge was dented and the left corner of the top speaker got scratched. Also adding to my problems, I get sporadic "no signal" issues now. I was thinking of returning my One on warranty since I have insurance from Best Buy. (I should stick to AT&T from now on) I'm a bit hesitant on returning it though since there's a chance that I may have to get a refurbished device. Everything else is fine with the phone except for the slight external damages and signal issues. Do you think I should just go through with it and exchange the device on warranty?

Last edited:

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
For me, it would probably depend on how bad the signal issues are. Personally, given an choice, I'd rather have a refurb with a signal, than a somewhat damaged "new" phone with no signal. :)

That said, not sure it they'd give you new or refurb...I havent had to use my BB warranty yet. (knocking on wood)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So... I dropped my One today. It was in its case, thankfully, to sustain much of the impact, but the chamfered edge was dented and the left corner of the top speaker got scratched. Also adding to my problems, I get sporadic "no signal" issues now. I was thinking of returning my One on warranty since I have insurance from Best Buy. (I should never had bought from Best Buy now that I think of it; I'll just stick to AT&T from now on.) I'm a bit hesitant on returning it though since there's a chance that I may have to get a refurbished device. Everything else is fine with the phone except for the slight external damages and signal issues. Do you think I should just go through with it and exchange the device on warranty?

according to Best Buy's insurance they will always give you a new device and not a refurb. (You are talking about the $10/mo plan with BB correct?)

Antitryptic

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
For me, it would probably depend on how bad the signal issues are. Personally, given an choice, I'd rather have a refurb with a signal, than a somewhat damaged "new" phone with no signal. :)

That said, not sure it they'd give you new or refurb...I havent had to use my BB warranty yet. (knocking on wood)
I agree with you there, ahah. Here's to hoping you won't damage your device! :D

according to Best Buy's insurance they will always give you a new device and not a refurb. (You are talking about the $10/mo plan with BB correct?)
Yep, I am! Well that's odd since every time I had gone in to Best Buy (or Best Buy Mobile) they always told me there would be a chance that I would get a refurb. I'll probably head over to Best Buy today and ask again... either that or call over the phone. Hopefully I'll get a new device by the end of this... if not, I guess a refurb would be fine. :)

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

That is simply not true. Their insurance plan always gives you a refurbished device. It says it pretty explicitly in their terms and conditions. I have had their plan for 4 years (on different devices of course).

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Once upon a time I believe this actually was the case. It definitely is not anymore. I used my Best Buy warranty on my previous phone and I got a refurbished phone in return. FWIW the refurb appeared new.

Posted via Android Central App

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The Best Buy protection plan gives you a refurbished device majority of the time. There's always a chance you can get a new one, but it's pretty rare. The refurbished devices though are practically brand new and you wouldnt tell the difference.

Sent from my HTC One

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
No doubt the refurbs that they give you are good quality ones.

And I suppose I shoulndt have said "always" refurbished because one time I used it, I did get a new one. But it is very rare. You can tell because the sticker on the phone itself will say "refurbished" or "remanufactured" if it is refurbished. The phone settings will tell you as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Antitryptic

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all of your input! I was able to pick up a new SIM from AT&T today and for now, the signal problems have gone away. Hopefully they don't return. I'll deal with the damage and just put on a case that I like; no point in damaging it even more! Eventually, I'll be getting a new phone and those dents and scratches won't matter anymore. (I don't resell my phones; I give 'em to my bro whenever I upgrade) For now, I'll just enjoy the device that is the HTC One!