not happy - at all

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone needs to go back and read this.

No kidding. Let's all take a second, step back, and approach this conversation if ? and only if ? you have a genuine interest in discussing workingguy's dilemma and/or the transition from older equipment to current smartphones. There are bound to be obstacles in that transition that are the result of inserting oneself into a target market that doesn't necessarily include all of one's desired uses for the device. Even the Talk Mobile Apps hangout discussed this issue, using Marcus Adolfsson's (Mobile Nations CEO) hobby of flying recreational aircraft as an example of someone who may need niche functionality out of modern smartphones.

I'm going to go back and clean up a few posts here, and let's get things back on track. I'm not saying that some of the replies were completely unwarranted ? there were some good points made as far as what the One can and cannot realistically do ? but to give up and toss this discussion out the window entirely would be a waste.

Edit: also, let me say this: sure, some of the statements workingguy made could be seen as unnecessarily negative or demeaning toward the One or those who use it, but that doesn't mean we need to repeatedly respond and question the worth of the thread. If you really don't like what was said, don't participate in the thread.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry to have to be the one to point this out, but as it would appear that you are in fact quite serious, you will get an equally serious answer. With the best will in the world, every specific issue you mention is absolutely down to ignorance on your part and not some inherent design flaw in modern technology. This is not meant to be another attack on you personally, merely a statement of fact. Ignorance is not just a lack of knowledge or understanding, it is a refusal to accept the facts and I am afraid that is where you are. Your attitude to the One seems to have been predetermined by your previous experiences with modern smart phones and no matter how good the implementation, you were always going to take issue with it.

Firstly, you must acknowledge that the phones of today are designed to a very different set of standards than they were 10 years ago, just about every single thing your phone is designed to do now is based around the internet whereas 10, or even 5 years ago for that matter, mobile internet was just not viable enough to be a useable technology. The seeds were there and growing fast, but for the man in the street, networks at the time just were not set up to carry data in any realistic volume.

Images in SMS messages? When I touch them they open up and I can zoom, save, share or do pretty much anything I want with them. If I save them they go into my gallery under 'All Downloads' and I can get to them at any time I wish. Ignorance of how the gallery works. The gallery app is designed to handle images, the SMS app is designed to handle messages, expecting one to do the other is ignorance.

You don't want to sync anything because the memory is too small? What were you planning on syncing that would eat up 25gb? Not sure if that one is ignorance or just bitterness.

No productivity apps on Google Play? Go to the apps page and swipe to the page to the left to view apps in categories like communications, business, finance and oh what's this one? Productivity. Ignorance.

Blank screen/no keypad? The screen is blank because the proximity sensor turns it off when it is pressed up against the side of your head to prevent accidental activation, and as has already been covered, the keypad is just a tap away. Ignorance.

Why didn't Nokia keep the Communicator going? Because it was not designed to meet the needs of the emerging internet technologies, it had been usurped, replaced, outmoded. In fact, everything that Nokia was doing at the time went the same way because they didn't think the technology would catch on, an error of judgement that nearly finished off the company for good. It was not until they partnered with Microsoft a few years ago to develop Windows phones that they came anywhere near to getting back into the market. Ignorance on their part and I am afraid,wishful thinking for a world that no longer exists on yours.

This reminds me of a joke. My smartphone now contains more processing power than NASA used throughout the entire Apollo missions. They used it to launch a man to the moon, I use it to launch virtual birds at evil piggies.

The fact is that the HTC One can do everything that your Nokia could do, plus countless other things, and do them better, faster and more reliably, believing otherwise is again, ignorance. Android is a very powerful platform but on its own it is nothing, just like Windows or osx, it is only what you make of it, nothing more, nothing less.

Welcome to 2013, its nice.

Could NOT have said it bettter myself. And mind you, I am good with words.

*applause*

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think Mcprice pretty much did a bang up professional job at explaining the issue and fixes. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This was covered in a previous response, but buried in the middle.

Your complaint about not being able to zoom pics in a mms.

Just tap the photo and it opens in another view that is zoomable, can be moved, copied, shared with email, cloud storage , markup tools, what ever you need it to do.

I know you said you weren't asking for advice and that's a shame.
This forum is a great resource.
The users here could have helped with each of your issues.
None of which were shortcomings of the phone, just a new user who didn't understand how to do what he wanted.

I managed 32 people spread over 5 states with one of these "Toys" it was a powerful computing tool that fit in my pocket.
I had information on every tech, every service call they went on, every report they wrote, every photo they sent of problems, marked them up with solutions and sent them back.

If that wasn't enough they called on a Tango video call and we could discuss the problem while they were pointing out what was wrong in real time.

Toys are for the weekend.
My Android phone is for work.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

andresgalvan98

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Coming from having a Nokia Communicator over ten years ago (when flip phone owners laughed at my "brick) I am disappointed with the phone, and the Sprint service. This is a toy compared to the Communicator and nothing more. I need to use these for ACTUAL work and not to post whatever I'm eating or doing at the time. Here is an example.

A customer texted two photos of machinery I need to duplicate. You can look at the photos, but you can't zoom up on them in messaging. Why not? Why can't I zoom in until it pixilates? Could with my ten year old phone. So there is the option to save the file - but where is it saved? It doesn't come up in the Gallery app. (Instead useless facebook photos take over). I plug the phone into the PC so maybe I can look through files but that option, for whatever reason, is grayed out in the HTC sync manager. Well I didn't want to sync anything anyway - the memory is too small for something like this. I still have my Nokia phone browser in my drive browser, but no HTC one. Who really has the time to find apps that should come with a phone? And where, under "Google play" can you find serious productivity apps and not games and garbage? Google play? Really?

Then there's the old phone blank screen when you need to enter a companies automated phone system. "For sales press 3" - except there is no keypad on the screen. This is one of my biggest pet peeves on these types of phones.

I don't live for the phone, so I don't care to post every problem, glitch, crash, etc. I do wish Nokia would have kept the communicator series going. Now that was a tool and not a toy. :(

So you're trying to do 1 of 2 things:
1.) Make yourself sound like a 65 year old who can't use Android, or
2.) **** all of us off by complaining about the stupidest things in the world.

If you're trying to do #1, go get your Communicator back, or get an iPhone. Anything else with real features might be too complicated for you.
If you're trying to do #2, get outta here and learn how to use your freaking phone, because seriously, it's not that hard. Google Play is exactly like the iOS App Store, or the Windows Phone Marketplace. If you think the name makes it strictly limited to games, you need to go pick up some common sense. Android wouldn't be the world's most popular operating system if it didn't have some good apps in every category.

"So like which of these two guys do you wanna be??"

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site

If you're trying to do #1, go get your Communicator back, or get an iPhone. Anything else with real features might be too complicated for you.
If you're trying to do #2, get outta here and learn how to use your freaking phone, because seriously, it's not that hard. Google Play is exactly like the iOS App Store, or the Windows Phone Marketplace. If you think the name makes it strictly limited to games, you need to go pick up some common sense. Android wouldn't be the world's most popular operating system if it didn't have some good apps in every category.

That was productive. /s

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Coming from having a Nokia Communicator over ten years ago (when flip phone owners laughed at my "brick) I am disappointed with the phone, and the Sprint service. This is a toy compared to the Communicator and nothing more. I need to use these for ACTUAL work and not to post whatever I'm eating or doing at the time. Here is an example.

A customer texted two photos of machinery I need to duplicate. You can look at the photos, but you can't zoom up on them in messaging. Why not? Why can't I zoom in until it pixilates? Could with my ten year old phone.
That's why alternative messaging apps exist. They should provide a solution.

So there is the option to save the file - but where is it saved? It doesn't come up in the Gallery app. (Instead useless facebook photos take over). I plug the phone into the PC so maybe I can look through files but that option, for whatever reason, is grayed out in the HTC sync manager.
Look in the Downloads app. I don't know why it doesn't show up in the gallery; it does on my Nexus 4.

Who really has the time to find apps that should come with a phone? And where, under "Google play" can you find serious productivity apps and not games and garbage?
That would be found under the section labeled "productivity".

Google play? Really?
Complaining about the name? Come on, that's just silly. ;)

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I just want to reiterate that my earlier post was not meant to be demeaning in any way but it is very difficult to describe ignorance without it being perceived as insulting. That was not my intent.

And so, mrworkingguy, you now have a choice. You can either lament the demise of your beloved Nokia and curse the advent of modern technologies that don't work in the way that you are used to, or you can take on board some of the (genuine) comments that have been made and use them to improve your experience and bring new benefits to your business. It has to be said that if you have been able to meet the needs of modern business communications for the last 10 years with the same phone, then you should be unstoppable with the power and flexibility of something like the HTC One.

Did the Nokia have a camera, I don't recall, but even if it did it would not have been anywhere near today's standards. As you seem to exchange images with your clients isn't a more powerful camera going to be of some benefit? How about video? Nokia certainly didn't have that 10 years ago. Data transfer speed will certainly be many times faster on your new phone than the old and that has to be a big plus for any business.

The point I am trying to make is that focussing on the negatives and on what you can't do isn't going to solve your problem. Start looking instead at what you can do and I am confident that you will soon realise that you are much better off now than you were before.

Best of luck.

Yilun808

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Can we just delete all the other unnecessary flame posts towards mr. working guy and just leave mcpricex's reply for him to read. I think that will probably solve everyone's issues. Bravo for the educational response.

I'm beginning to see a trend in most "rant" messages on android forums. There are some people who just simply think that a smart-phone should come equipped with everything necessary for them to use as a daily driver. "I should not have to spend hours upon hours researching how to tweak my phone to do what I want. It should just easily and conveniently do what I need, when I need it without much hassle". And to that, I would say, I absolutely agree. I think it's very fair for people who are not into the whole techie/customization scene to ask for a phone that "just works" out of the box. But at the same time, as mcpricex described in his post, the world of technology is also rapidly changing. And unfortunately, those people will need to realize that the device landscape will also constantly change/evolve in order to fit around those rising demands and needs. It would be like blaming Google for revolutionizing the search world because we lived in a "simpler" time when we knew less about the world.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Sure I compared phones and found this one to be easy to write apps for. Plenty of online stuff for that. I learned that others don't like the on switch location, or the home button, or the power consumption before I bought it. Apple products are even more of a toy - engineering apps are rarely ported over, so wouldn't even consider those products.

But the method to close an app is silly at best, and there is no guarantee the app is shut down. While listening to music I went to close the app - it disappeared yet the music continued playing. So I ask how often is this happening where the app isn't shut down and instead sapping power? reboot every other day? Or download a task manager that should already be there under productivity tools?

But really, are some of you out there so personally offended that you need to make personal attacks at me? Fairly thin skinned if you ask me. Yes I came to rant regarding obvious lackings - if you can't take it then continue to anonymously attack another - it is such an endearing quality.

They are hardly a toy.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Can we just delete all the other unnecessary flame posts towards mr. working guy and just leave mcpricex's reply for him to read. I think that will probably solve everyone's issues. Bravo for the educational response.

I'm beginning to see a trend in most "rant" messages on android forums. There are some people who just simply think that a smart-phone should come equipped with everything necessary for them to use as a daily driver. "I should not have to spend hours upon hours researching how to tweak my phone to do what I want. It should just easily and conveniently do what I need, when I need it without much hassle". And to that, I would say, I absolutely agree. I think it's very fair for people who are not into the whole techie/customization scene to ask for a phone that "just works" out of the box. But at the same time, as mcpricex described in his post, the world of technology is also rapidly changing. And unfortunately, those people will need to realize that the device landscape will also constantly change/evolve in order to fit around those rising demands and needs. It would be like blaming Google for revolutionizing the search world because we lived in a "simpler" time when we knew less about the world.

I have also seen the trend you mention but it is just another symptom of the catch 22 situation that device manufacturers face when designing their products. The fact is that you can please some of the people all of the time or you can please all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time. The definition of the perfect phone is subjective, dependant on individual requirements and preferences, and this is where the manufacturer s face their dilemma.

On one hand they can try and make the phone do as much as possible with as little input from the user as possible, but this leads to a fixed way of doing things, a closed system, inflexible. This is the route that Apple took with iOS and for a great many people, it works. They can plug their phones into their computers and their music (for example) just appears on the phone, no stress, no hassle, no input required. But that also means no control, in order to have that level of autonomy you have to use iTunes, you have to have your music in this format and you have to connect to a PC to do it. It works brilliantly, but only if you do it that way.

Android went the other way, giving users the choice, the flexibility. Use whatever music app you want, use whatever format you want, get your music from anywhere, freedom, flexibility, the choice. The problem with choices though is that you have to make them, you have to assess the options, test their suitability and set them up to work in the way that you want them to work. For many people this can be a complete nightmare,as you say, why do I have to mess with it when it should just work, well there is your answer, you pay your money, you make your choice.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

iPhones have "real features"

jameyscott56

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Read up about andriod. It is built to handle thr apps in thr cache. You're not supposed to shut them down. Android uses just as much power for free memory as it does memory filled with apps. It gives android that "snappy" feel.

sent from GSN2 using Tapatalk 4

satannik

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
All of these One fanboys all defensive over their investment.. The S4 is meant for business.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S 4

jameyscott56

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Really? I mean, don't get me wrong. The s4 is a great phone besides some issues with lag to some users. It is not the end all be all though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the the One still has access to the play store, right? I'm pretty sure it can be just as much of a business phone as the s4.

sent from GSN2 using Tapatalk 4