Sorry. Rant. Is anyone else as sick of "it just works" as I am????

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I recently joined and posted a couple of threads in trying to sort out which phone to buy - HTC One, GS4 or Note 2. In the process of my weeks of research on these phones, I found several forums and sites where many opinions from all types of users are posted and read all with great interest. Of course, in all of this reading, there was the inevitable comparison with the iPhone, and in so many cases, whenever someone pointed out how nice some features were of their non-iPhone, an iPhone person would chime in with some version of "I don't care, my iPhone just works."

Well, after a few weeks, I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing that phrase! We know already! I have owned several phones, and guess what, they ALL JUST WORK! If they didn't, I wouldn't have them. Maybe some of you have had phones that haven't just worked, but that cannot be the majority or there would not still be android phones out there today with all of the various versions of the OS. My Evo had gingerbread and worked great. Plus, maybe the earliest versions of iPhone, with their totally simplistic iOS "just worked," but if you go over to the iMore forum, there is a thread with a poll where 47% of the new iPhone 5 owners have had to return their device. There are threads on lag, battery life, when to restart/reboot your iPhone and all sorts of folks with questions on why their home button isn't working properly, purple haze on photos, etc. Also, what about the dropped calls and maps situation from the recent past.

I am not trying to put down the iPhone itself or anyone with one, I am sure it is a great phone that works just fine. So does my One. It just works. It really does.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I recently joined and posted a couple of threads in trying to sort out which phone to buy - HTC One, GS4 or Note 2. In the process of my weeks of research on these phones, I found several forums and sites where many opinions from all types of users are posted and read all with great interest. Of course, in all of this reading, there was the inevitable comparison with the iPhone, and in so many cases, whenever someone pointed out how nice some features were of their non-iPhone, an iPhone person would chime in with some version of "I don't care, my iPhone just works."

Well, after a few weeks, I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing that phrase! We know already! I have owned several phones, and guess what, they ALL JUST WORK! If they didn't, I wouldn't have them. Maybe some of you have had phones that haven't just worked, but that cannot be the majority or there would not still be android phones out there today with all of the various versions of the OS. My Evo had gingerbread and worked great. Plus, maybe the earliest versions of iPhone, with their totally simplistic iOS "just worked," but if you go over to the iMore forum, there is a thread with a poll where 47% of the new iPhone 5 owners have had to return their device. There are threads on lag, battery life, when to restart/reboot your iPhone and all sorts of folks with questions on why their home button isn't working properly, purple haze on photos, etc. Also, what about the dropped calls and maps situation from the recent past.

I am not trying to put down the iPhone itself or anyone with one, I am sure it is a great phone that works just fine. So does my One. It just works. It really does.

While I some what agree with you partly...This post is just as if not worse then said threads.

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
In what way? This is not an Apple bash. It is basically that I am sick of this stupid phrase that gets repeated so often, most of the time without any knowledge or experience with any other device. The iPhone is not perfect. It doesn't just "always work," but it just keeps getting repeated all over the place. The implication is always the same, "My phone works, yours doesn't." I don't belong to other forums, just go there to read the info, so it is not a personal issue. No one has directed this at me, nor have I been all over touting the perfection of my phone. I have only had the One for a few days, so far, so good, and it works flawlessly.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Someone from Apple said that during the release of the iPhone 4...It's been the mantra of iSheep ever since. You can't change it until they come up with some other "cool saying" they can overuse to describe the iPhone.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Someone from Apple said that during the release of the iPhone 4...It's been the mantra of iSheep ever since. You can't change it until they come up with some other "cool saying" they can overuse to describe the iPhone.

I think it goes back to pre iPhone days. It was the mantra with Mac vs. PC as well.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If whatever you're using doesn't just work, there's a problem. Glasses, waterbottles, toothbrushes, cars, computers, can openers, shoes, and yes, phones. What I'm hearing with that statement is, "I'm not distracted by any failures and faults of this product that would inhibit my user experience and I'm content." And if they are, good on them. I hope most people here are content too. If there are people who aren't, they complain and switch phones. The point is, a device can fail one person but be amazing for another. It's subjective. It always will be.

But yes, a diversity in ways people would choose to word that would be less annoying for someone reading many comparison threads. I get your frustration.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
As a new Android user who is loving the OS and my One i can say that Android doesn't "just work" the way iOS does. The end user doesn't need to know anything or configure anything to have a great experience on an iPhone. You can't really say that about most Android devices. I think part of the fun of Android is the customization and how much you can tailor the OS to suit your needs, but this also comes at the price of an OS that is more complicated. I don't think one OS is inherently better than the other, they just take different approaches and each speaks to a different audience.

There will always be some defective devices or bugs in an OS, but iOS and Apple blow away the competition on user satisfaction surveys. Again, their OS is more simple, it's easier to use and harder to screw up. At the same time, you better want to use it the way it's designed to work because you can't change much.

This is the fundamental difference iOS and Android and it's a perfectly reasonable distinction. Anyone who claims that one OS is better for everyone than the other OS is misguided at best. Anyone who claims that all users of "the other" OS are somehow fools or lesser people is just silly.

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

First, why do you even care and second why start a 2-paragraph+ thread about it? IMO it's just not that important. If iPhone owners choose to own their iPhone "just cuz it works" then good for them. And to answer your initial question in the OP - No I am not as sick of hearing "it just works" from iPhone owners as you are but that's just me.

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't dislike the iPhone or care if those who use it love it and will never buy another kind of phone. My rant isn't really about the company or the phone itself. It is just that I have ventured out into the tech forums for the first time in years recently and noticed this mantra, usually used as a retort to another person in a superior and demeaning sort of way. It is like the iPhone could never, ever possibly have 1 thing about it that isn't designed perfectly or work absolutely flawlessly. Even when it doesn't, there seems to be some blind eye turned or glossing over of the issue. My final straw was just earlier this week reading a medium-ish post where "it just works" was repeated 3 times. Sorry, its just annoying. If the original intent of the saying was referring to the simplicity of the OS, then a lot of folks have gone off message. Again, it may be the perfect phone and perfect OS, and its simplicity may be a thing of beauty, just enough with the "it just works" every 2 or 3 posts already! For the first time, I am getting what the phrase "iSheep" means, LOL!

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't dislike the iPhone or care if those who use it love it and will never buy another kind of phone. My rant isn't really about the company or the phone itself. It is just that I have ventured out into the tech forums for the first time in years recently and noticed this mantra, usually used as a retort to another person in a superior and demeaning sort of way. It is like the iPhone could never, ever possibly have 1 thing about it that isn't designed perfectly or work absolutely flawlessly. Even when it doesn't, there seems to be some blind eye turned or glossing over of the issue. My final straw was just earlier this week reading a medium-ish post where "it just works" was repeated 3 times. Sorry, its just annoying. If the original intent of the saying was referring to the simplicity of the OS, then a lot of folks have gone off message. Again, it may be the perfect phone and perfect OS, and its simplicity may be a thing of beauty, just enough with the "it just works" every 2 or 3 posts already! For the first time, I am getting what the phrase "iSheep" means, LOL!

I have an iPhone 5 as well as an HTC One and I've never claimed that my iPhone is perfect. However, it IS easier to use out of the box for the majority of people.

I love my HTC One, but I had to research and find apps that would allow me to use it the way I wanted to. I'm a musician, and some of the albums I listen to have gapless tracks. Trying to find an Android app that handled gapless tracks WELL was a laborious process. Android apps in general tend to not be as fully-featured as their iOS counterparts, i.e., MLB at Bat, Xfinity Remote, no easy AirVideo equivalent.

And maybe I'm missing it, but can someone please tell me how to switch audio inputs between Bluetooth and the One easily when, for example, listening to music? I know there has to be a way besides turning off the Bluetooth device, but I can't find it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the phrase " it just works " is relevant on many fronts. After all these smartphone platforms Win/iOS/Android/BB all work out of the box or else they wouldn't pass certification and testing. Problem is in how you take things as " it just works ". For some the iPhone is the way to go, others like BB and its business orientated approach to things as known best for with its proven top security and awesome email system both personal and in the professional world. Others like Android who don't mind some bumps in the road on occasion with Android's ever improving OS and integration into our daily lives. Somewhere in the middle of it all is Windows making its mark in the smartphone world. Regardless of how you look at things all these platforms are constantly changing, innovating and competing against one another to bring the next great idea to the market. Sometimes along the way what looks great on paper or in some test units doesn't always fair well once it hits the mass market even with preliminary closed group/market testing of a new mega device.

Bottom line its a gamble each time one of these platforms and the OEM's bring a new device, design and OS/skinned UI to the market. Will they like it? How easy will people adapt? Will it be a short lived success or turn into the next great thing? Most importantly how well will it work once its subjected to the millions of consumers who will throw everything you can imagine and more at the device and find its strengths and weaknesses.

Then comes that statement... " It just works... " and then you just follow protocol.. Wash, rinse & repeat...

Just my 2 cents...

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Then why do you bother to read 2+ paragraphs when the title clearly says what the subject is. Why bother to spend time replying? Yes, good for them. Chose whatever phone you like for whatever reason you like. If that is because it just works, fine.

Apologized and also put RANT in the title. Rant means - this is annoying to me and I am going to go on a bit about it. My question, is it just me or are others tired of seeing it.

Skip the post if you don't like the subject!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in agreement with the op. Give Joe user an HTC One out of the box and they won't have to do much of anything to enjoy the phone. Special case people like our musician friend above are just that.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
When I switched from my iPhone to an Infuse the transition was simple and my Infuse just worked. Also Froyo is nowhere near as good as Jelly Bean. Either way it just reminds me of Miami Heat fanboys that is riding the bandwagon until the wheels come off. Spouting off one liners and know next to nothing on the subject. I suppose it would be easier to just ignore it.

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone being the first really popular smartphone is the explanation for this. Almost everyone's first reference for a smartphone as we know it is the iPhone, so anything else will require an adjustment. Android will always be less intuitive to some people not because it is inferior, more customizable, etc but because the iPhone is the standard from which we judge. I like Android much more, but the iPhone was the first smartphone I owned and the first one I saw when friends and family all started using it en masse. It seems simple because it is generally the most familiar. There will be people who this doesn't apply to, but those are the minority.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While it is annoying usually people who use this argument aren't saying other phones don't work.. They are more saying out of the box it's much easier to use.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, its just annoying
It's only annoying if you let it annoy you.

For the first time, I am getting what the phrase "iSheep" means, LOL!
It's a label used by those who are unwilling to realize that iOS and iPhones may be the perfect device for others. It really says a lot about someone when they need to resort to name calling to pump themselves up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463