Rooting the HTC ONE?

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyone done this yet? I've had iphone's since they first came out; and have jailbroken each of them, from the beginning, however, I must admit, that i'm a little intimidated by the process described in rooting my beautiful HTC ONE. Have any of you tried it on the HTC ONE? If so, how's it going so far?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The process, no matter how automated, is always intimidating the first time. I will say this, however: it pays to be familiar with the process if you want to get into custom mods/ROMs/etc. in the future, and you have a great user base to support you should anything go wrong along the way. If you want to root your One, my advice is to read up and just take it step-by-step, but definitely go for it. Be aware that the process typically voids your warranty, though it is possible to fully revert to stock if you need to send it to HTC for any reason. Edit: to clarify, in the case of the One, unlocking it by using the HTCDev site will void the warranty as far as I am aware.

Start with these:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...c-one-t-dev-unlocked-international-model.html
[TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.4 [6-16-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers

Toolkits like the one I linked to are very helpful, especially when trying to revert to stock or fix any problems during the initial unlock/root process, but there's something to be said for going through the paces manually so that you get used to what's involved.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is fairly easy and fool-proof. It'll only get a bit difficult if you start wanting more out of your device, like going S-OFF, changing CID and such. And by the way, I'd go with TWRP 2.5.0 recovery because I find it easier to use. Here's how to flash it if you don't know: how to instal TWRP Recovery for the HTC One | HTC One Manual

And this is the TWRP file you need to download (not the one in the tutorial because it's old): Techerrata Downloads - Browsing m7

Once you have your fastboot folder, place TWRP inside it and then boot into fastboot mode on your device. Afterwards enter this command:

fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryhere.img

fastboot erase cache

reboot back into bootloader and then enter recovery.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
This is my first Android device, previously I ran ios jailbroken. The process is slightly more complex than jailbreak in ios, but in the same ballpark. I'm rooted to enable a couple apps. No issues so far.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Is it pretty easy to root on a Mac? All the tutorials I've read had been for a PC.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it's basically the very same procedure except you use terminal rather than command prompt in Windows. Download the same fastboot folder and place it on the desktop of your Mac. Move the recovery .img file into that folder on the desktop and rename it recovery.img.

Actually instead of me talking about this, just follow this tutorial: [GUIDE] Set up ADB and Fastboot on a Mac easily (With Screenshots!) - xda-developers

Download the fastboot .zip file attached in the thread and place it on the desktop and follow the instructions. It's very, very easy. And the command to flash recovery is:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Make sure your bootloader is unlocked first, though.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
rooted first day I got the phone...did S-OFF day after it was released..but I wont go anywhere near the CID stuff :p ..Just follow the links about and its pretty straight forward. For s-off I read alot of sites to find the easiest way, it did look alittle intimidating at first, then I found a link that posted how to do it in terminal ON the phone itself, and man that was cake!

Also if following the poster above me ...dont forget to download SuperSU or Superuser as well!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
While I have the H1 Developer Edition (so S-Off was already there) I found rooting to be pretty easy and followed QBKING77's video on YouTube How to Root the HTC One (International, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile) - YouTube to do it. The biggest challenge I had was getting my phone to be recognized by my Win8 64bit laptop but that was resolved by finding the latest drivers for the H1.

The best thing to do is watch the video a couple of times and follow his directions, he also has one for S-Off so you can search for that on YouTube.

imchipman

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you bro, I tried couple weeks ago and got stuck half way threw it. Lucky I got I back to normal. I may try again if I find a easy one on you tube. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463