camera issues

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So I have the HTC One from sprint... Went to a concert this week and was disappointed in the camera. I changed alot of functions and still did not get quality pictures.... Suggestions? On normal function, everything is super bright and the faces look soon bright, you hardly can make them out! Help! I am ready to change over to an S3 or S4.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So I have the HTC One from sprint... Went to a concert this week and was disappointed in the camera. I changed alot of functions and still did not get quality pictures.... Suggestions? On normal function, everything is super bright and the faces look soon bright, you hardly can make them out! Help! I am ready to change over to an S3 or S4.

Can you post some of the pictures you took?

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I don't understand the motivation behind posts like this.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

A dark concert? And your considering a galaxy s line? Prepare to be even further disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Tell them to get better lighting at that venue. :p

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
In actuality, the HTC One's camera does much, much better than the Galaxy line in low light. However if it's pitch dark and the lighting is bad or weak, then you'd probably need a professional camera with a big flash light in order to take good pictures, not a smartphone.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
OP. Did you try using night scene? Did you maybe use burst mode? There isn't one cell phone on the market that's going to take "quality" pics at a concert unless your near a light (not florescent) and having a lot of patience waiting for the phone to focus. What I would do is start taking pictures at night and playing with all the settings till you get something close to what you want.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a phone that took stunning pictures at a concert (not even from Nokia). With as far off as the subject usually is a phone is useless for taking good pictures unless perhaps you are on the front row. Digital zoom is horrible. I take my Nikon DSLR or my Galaxy Camera in situations like this and leave the phone in my pocket.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm guessing without seeing the pictures that some of the problem is focus. If you tap on the screen in the area of intended focus, the brightness can change. Try tapping on the lightest area--the focus should darken the picture somewhat. the camera was probably trying to lighten up the dark areas, and whited the faces out. Htc says that tapping on a mid-range part of the intended picture should give an overall good effect. With such a dark venue, you just have to experiment. The fun thing about this camera is that you can immediately see the focus results on the screen each time you tap. I would think that a concert with areas of low light and very bright light would be challenging for just about any camera.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I know the commercials like to show concert pics, but you're in a dark venue (typically fine for the One) focusing on a brightly lit stage. It's a camera, not an eyeball.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I really wasn't asking about this problem to get smart a** replies. I was sitting front row, and used the night function and got better pictures that way, but still not the quality I expected. And I am not getting great pics, outside of concerts! The faces look very bright, and the colors seem off. I was asking to get some suggestions on maybe a setting I need to change. Not sure how to attach a photo to this thread.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I really wasn't asking about this problem to get smart a** replies. I was sitting front row, and used the night function and got better pictures that way, but still not the quality I expected. And I am not getting great pics, outside of concerts! The faces look very bright, and the colors seem off. I was asking to get some suggestions on maybe a setting I need to change. Not sure how to attach a photo to this thread.

I'm sorry you got snarky remarks. What are you using to view and post on this forum? Using something like Tapatalk makes it very easy to post pictures but there are other ways that aren't too complicated. What settings are you using in the camera app? Did you use tap to capture to take the pictures? Post some of the pictures and we'll try to help you. The bright faces sounds like what would happen if you just used the shutter button and not point focusing or if you did point focus you might have picked a dark area to focus on thus blowing out the well light parts of the picture.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same gripes with the HTC One camera. It reminds me of the camera on the Sony Ericsson P990...

I have played around endlessly with the settings and still get very noisy pictures with low light.

Here are two screen captures from my instagram, one from last night with the One camera and an older one taken with a Galaxy S3.

It seems I deleted the picture from last night to show it without the filter, but I added the one saved in the instagram folder so you can get a better idea.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1371999340987.jpg
    1371999340987.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1371999373160.jpg
    1371999373160.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1371999433916.jpg
    1371999433916.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 40

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same gripes with the HTC One camera. It reminds me of the camera on the Sony Ericsson P990...

I have played around endlessly with the settings and still get very noisy pictures with low light.

Here are two screen captures from my instagram, one from last night with the One camera and an older one taken with a Galaxy S3.

It seems I deleted the picture from last night to show it without the filter, but I added the one saved in the instagram folder so you can get a better idea.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

A low-light picture works fine....When you are trying to focus, or introduce higher lumens than the surrounding area that will also be in the picture, you will have a problem. The picture taken with your S3 has more light sources in it than the one taken by the One so yes, it will look much better. Take 2 pics, one with each phone, of the moon tonight with a building on the horizon and the One's picture will look better.

Edit: Where were you at with those pics? PR?

Last edited:

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
To attach photos, you can either attach them from the phone using the taptatalk or android central forums app to post. Or you can email them to yourself, upload them to an image hosting site (like imgur or tinypic), then when posting, you'll use the direct URLs to the image and the "insert picture" button when posting (bottom row of icons, next to filmstrip). Or do this:
[*IMG]http://urlhere.jpg[/*IMG]

Only delete the *s!

In low light without flash, I get good lighting, but a lot of noise. I'm still playing around with the camera, though, and I hope someone here will be able to provide some tips!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A couple posts were removed/deleted to clean things up to preserve a friendly and helpful atmosphere.

Paul627g
Forums Moderator.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Then you should remove the one where she says all she got were smartass comments as my comment that prompted her to say that wasn't remotely smartass. Feel free to ban me for saying that. I'll just come back under another name and IP if I want. You're quite biased.... Bad trait for a mod.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Let's not start attacking the mods now... Come on.

As for the camera issue, and excuse me if this was already brought up, but OP, what camera mode/settings were you using?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12