HTC One - some issues

rdslg

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello there

First of all, sorry, if some things should be posted in a different thread, but I wanted to give a first verdict after a couple of weeks with my first Android phone after almost 6(!) years with iPhones ;)

The first couple of days were weird, there are many things Apple really did well. But after some time I realised what Apple did to their users by "forcing" them to do what they think is good. Scary!

Ok, back to the phone. Basically it's the nicest device I have ever owned. Unfortunately the build quality is by far not as good, as I expected from those reviews on the web. There are several gaps, one with the top speaker cover is so big that my finger nail fits in... and the white plastic inlay is far from being precisely manufactured. I contacted the DACH (German/Austrian/Swiss) service as I bought in Austria, but they are... useless. This is where Apple does do a lot better job. They said from the pictures I sent, the gaps are within the acceptable range, but I can send it in on my cost. Thanks. That's a joke.

I initially also had problems with transferring the music from iTunes with their HTC blabla manager, but it's a huge bug. I just try to get rid of iTunes step by step - at least for listening to music on the phone. (Another thing where Apple started forcing their users, I can remember when I had to use iTunes in 2007 for my iPhone, all was so different and far from being logical... but over the years one gets used to it!)

My biggest unsolved issue so far is that I for heaven's sake cannot disable automatic network selection... I spent several hours searching for a solution, but there really seems to be none! Come on! I spend a lot of time in the UK and have a data package with my Austrian provider that gives me free data and talk in their partner network abroad. But as soon as I lose the "right" network in a basement for example, the phone switches to a different network with data roaming still switched on. And then it's getting really expensive...
I was looking for apps instead as the function to switch off auto select just doesn't exist in Android, but haven't found anything yet. Any ideas?
(BTW: when I was asking this question to the DACH service people they just referred me to my Austrian network and that I should be careful with data roaming... *wth* did they even read my question??)

Also the way the buttons of the headphones (don't) work, are a bit confusing. I found an app for that, but it kills the battery. Let's hope this get's better with the update. Oh, and voice control also doesn't work for me. When I am on the bike I just can't make it work properly. Luckily my AIAIAI headphones with the Apple remote still work.

Overall I think it's a great phone, the stereo speakers are phantastic and the camera is incredible!

But, please, HTC, focus a lot more on your customer service (in DACH), it's absurd...

Have a great day, Droids! (or whatever...) :)

Patrick

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
First of all congratulations on your purchase.

The gaps are a common issue among HTC One devices, I have one on the top of my device but I have learned to live with it. I am not going to go through the hassle of getting a replacement device because, well, a lot of people got replacement devices with even worse issues so I'd rather live with a tiny gap.

I only use one network provider, however if you go to Settings > Mobile Data (tap it, don't tap the ON/OFF thing) > Network operators - you should be able to manually select a network provider.

Headphone controls are an issue with the One at the moment as only a few actually work, or to be specific volume controls. PowerAmp allows you to use the controls and it is not a battery draining application by any means, it uses the same amount the default Music Player does, at least for me.

Give the device more days to settle and for the battery to improve. Also set Software Updates to automatic so you can receive the latest as soon as it came out - with the HTC One, software updates are crucial to fix issues and bugs, whereas with the iPhone it wasn't.

Finally, if you're willing to install a custom ROM, you'll make your life a lot easier as 4.2.2 based ROMs are much better than 4.1.2 based ones, in my honest opinion. That will require you to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery, which may or may not void your warranty depending on where you live - you CAN go back to stock at any time but it's not as simple as it sounds.

rdslg

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Tarek, thanks for your reply. Haha, that's exactly what I feared regarding the gaps...

Unfortunately that doesn't work. I have chosen "my" network, but as soon as the reception is gone, like in a basement, and there are other available network the phone still joins them...

Thanks for the advice with Power Amp and regarding the updates, will try that!

Well, I was very tempted to go for the custom ROM and 4.2.2, but I read an article where they compared the camera with stock and custom ROMs and the cam is one of the reasons I bought the phone, I really want to take good pics in low-light conditions, and HTC's camera software seems to be significantly better.

Thanks again!

Cheers from London,

Patrick

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
There are Sense-based and AOSP-based custom ROMs, meaning that there are custom ROMs that have every Sense feature on them as well as the Sense camera by HTC so there's absolutely no difference except custom ROMs are highly modifiable and have some much needed tweaks, not to mention 4.2.2 is much better than 4.1.2. However, that's always a personal choice. I am sorry that the network selection didn't work.

rdslg

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Ah I see, didn't know that. The whole Android planet is fairly new to me... It took ages to get into the iPhone's jailbreak and so on, now all starts from scratch, haha ;) Thanks.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Ah I see, didn't know that. The whole Android planet is fairly new to me... It took ages to get into the iPhone's jailbreak and so on, now all starts from scratch, haha ;) Thanks.

If it took you ages to get into the jailbreak, you might find the whole Android mortification scene quite difficult. Haha! Hoo-ray for tutorials, though.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
If it took you ages to get into the jailbreak, you might find the whole Android mortification scene quite difficult. Haha! Hoo-ray for tutorials, though.

That's an interesting typo for sure (mortification/modification).

I can't offer much advice on the network selection issue beyond what TarekElsakka already suggested, however as far as music is concerned I would suggest looking into Google Play Music. You can essentially 'mirror' your existing library into the Play Music cloud library, and then with the monthly-subscription All Access service gain fairly extensive radio and library integration functionality. Andrew Martonik has some good thoughts about it up here:

Google Play Music All Access will be my first paid music subcription service | Android Central

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
lmao! nice catch.. I guess I didn't bother to re-read the post. I'll just never get used to typing on a touch-screen device.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Data roaming can be turned off in settings. I can't tell if you already have it off or not, but it should prevent it from connecting to "roaming" networks.

rdslg

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Data roaming can be turned off in settings. I can't tell if you already have it off or not, but it should prevent it from connecting to "roaming" networks.
Unfortunately it can't. Believe me... You can choose a favourite network, but as soon as this network disappears, the phone choses another one. I found a solution, there is an an app called Roaming Control, and it monitors the networks the phone is joining, allowing data roaming only for the ones you want.

@Tarek, don't worry, I only meant timewise, I've been working in IT for very long, so I am sure I could find my way through easily, but over the years for some reason I just don't want to be bothered anymore, if you know what I mean. It seems I am getting old :) Although I really enjoyed starting up the One for the first time, I felt like a kid, haha...

@Patrick, thanks for the advice. I fear that a lot of my music is not out on Google Play yet, mostly recent productions from smaller artists, partly unreleased bla bla... ;) Thanks though.

Have a great weekend, guys!

Patrick

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays