HTC One 4.2 Update Partially Available Now

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Looks like HTC has delivered again. In parts of Europe (Sweden, Russia, Denmark, Serbia, Norway, Hungary, Romania, UK and Finland) HTC has released 4.2 for the HTC One. It is a 417 MB software update so plan accordingly. The new update will have all the new features incorporated into the latest Android build, along with many welcomed improvements to HTC Sense 5. To check if it's available where you're at simply go to Settings > About > Software updates > Check now. You may be prompted to install a 1.48 MB bug fix that is needed before the full update. The rest of us will need to be a little bit more patient before the 4.2 update is released. Most likely within the next few weeks and don't be surprised if the Developers Edition gets the update first. Please post below if you've installed the update and let everyone know what you like/dislike about the new update.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm anticipating an early 2014 date for AT&T but then again I may be optimistic. If this phone doesn't get KLP and within a short time of it's availability the One will be the last HTC phone no matter how pretty it is...

Brian

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
If this phone doesn't get KLP and within a short time of it's availability the One will be the last HTC phone no matter how pretty it is...
So you're blaming HTC for a decision made by a carrier?

K will be available sometime after October '13 for the One. Whether or not your carrier supports it is another matter.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In a few months we may have it in the states... Maybe... :p.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
In a few months we may have it in the states... Maybe... :p.
The states will get it right after, or at the same time as, the UK does. Most likely within the next few weeks. Because of the carriers most likely the Dev Edition will get it first in the states. Then it's just a matter of time before the other variants get it whether the carriers like it or not.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to express this again. Makes no difference to me whether or not I get an update. This phone is sheer joy to use each and every day.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Grizzly_Atoms

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to express this again. Makes no difference to me whether or not I get an update. This phone is sheer joy to use each and every day.
Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

It's nice that you feel that way, but often these updates patch critical security issues, back door exploits etc. That's the reason these updates should be issued in a timely manner, and it's THE biggest downfall to the fragmented Android OS.

downhillrider

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand. Its obviously ready since its rolling out. I bought a unlocked One from HTC so I don't have to wait on ATT to update so I'm just wondering why its not available for everyone yet.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I think they're just getting all of their ducks in a row. HTC can't make any mistakes or companies like samsung and Apple will make a big deal about it. Google WANTS manufactures to release 4.2 so that they can officially release 4.3 in October. It's coming, soon. Make sure you have all of the pre-updates installed first.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
If anyone really wants 4.2.2 now there are many sense 5 Roms based on it. I'm running one on my HTC one

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be patting HTC on the back for just now starting to roll out the update. It's many months old; it's heinous that the phone didn't ship with this update. I love my One and it isn't that it doesn't work, but it has old software and it looks like it will always be running out of date software.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be patting HTC on the back for just now starting to roll out the update. It's many months old; it's heinous that the phone didn't ship with this update. I love my One and it isn't that it doesn't work, but it has old software and it looks like it will always be running out of date software.

Going to make this easy for you...

I have a friend that works for Motorola in the cell phone division. I get to see all the pre-release phones before they are out. They generally take 9 months to take a phone from start to finish. When you write a custom UI on top of stock Android, they are using the most recent at the time when they start the phone development 9 months before release. They can't update to a new version prior to going live with the phone since that is not the version they beat up for 6+ months. They will start the integration and testing of the newer versions when they come out, but that takes several months. There is no doubt HTC has developed and been testing the One for months with 4.2.2 and Sense. But it just takes longer than you think. What you WANT is not possible unless you go Nexus.

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Going to make this easy for you...

I have a friend that works for Motorola in the cell phone division. I get to see all the pre-release phones before they are out. They generally take 9 months to take a phone from start to finish. When you write a custom UI on top of stock Android, they are using the most recent at the time when they start the phone development 9 months before release. They can't update to a new version prior to going live with the phone since that is not the version they beat up for 6+ months. They will start the integration and testing of the newer versions when they come out, but that takes several months. There is no doubt HTC has developed and been testing the One for months with 4.2.2 and Sense. But it just takes longer than you think. What you WANT is not possible unless you go Nexus.

I can totally go with this until I see that its chief competitor was able to release with 4.2.2. Is there an explanation for this that I'm missing?

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I can totally go with this until I see that its chief competitor was able to release with 4.2.2. Is there an explanation for this that I'm missing?
2 things:
1, Samsung has more money than God to throw at it. Or Bill Gates. Whichever is your deity of choice.
2, Even given that, the S4 launched with significant lag issues that it took a couple of updates to improve, yet most reviews praised how super smooth the One was out of the gate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez