I simply can not get good battery life with this phone!

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
It may be a bad unit mat was the to get another one.

Posted via Android Central App

I sincerely doubt it. My battery life is decent, it's just that it loses too much during standby.

Sent from my HTC One :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373495482509.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373495482509.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 71

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I use battery doctor to ensure I get a full 100% charge, even at around 92% the battery shows full, not sure why. I keep power saver on, have no launchers installed, brightness around 40-50%, let it go on standby after 30 seconds, and always ensure if I won't be using my phone for a while to turn wifi/4g and all apps running off. I honestly have like 7% battery drain after an 8 hour or so sleep.

Sent from my HTC One :cool:

aamirani

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Download Wakelock Detector and it'll tell you if something is keeping your phone from going into deep sleep when the screen is off. Found Facebook and Maps to be causing this for my phone.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I generally lose ten percent for 12 hours of idle. That's with updating and syncing on.

From my experience depending on usage the phone burns 15-20 percent.

I got 36 hours with 2.5 being heavy screen time on a full charge.

Download gsam battery monitor it will tell you what's using the battery and how much screen Time you are getting

Sent from my HTC One

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually find the battery life of my One to be fantastic. I can go from 6 am to 8 pm and still have considerable power left. I use my phone for web browsing, checking emails, and reading news. Sometimes I'll stream podcasts for about 1 hour while driving. So, I consider myself a light to moderate user.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I ended up trying a new kernel out, Bulletproof. Battery life is MUCH better now. I'm finally getting decent standby time. Can't wait to see how it lasts over the entire day.
jysuhysa.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

yuiness

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I was initially getting poor battery life within a few weeks of first getting my HTC One. I performed a factory reset, which seems to have taken care of the problem. I usually go to sleep with 30-40% charge after a day of moderate use, including 1-2 hours of streaming audio, with background sync, location services, and Google Now turned on. I also run several location-based Tasker profiles.

nadiainthesky

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
So I have the same issue as the OP -- coming from an iPhone, the battery life on this phone (as much as I love it) is relatively horrendous. Just a few minutes of web surfing will see the battery percentage drop a few percent. I noticed though (while vacationing abroad) that when the plane is on airplane mode the battery life is significantly improved - to the point where it's on par with my previous iPhone. But turning off Bluetooth, GPS, and apps that fetch data regularly now that I'm back in the States hasn't helped. It only seems to be airplane mode that does it.

Does this mean it has something to do with the phone's cell service? ie- it trying to reach towers nearby? I'm not a technical person at all, so this is just a wild guess...
I have noticed (from a little Googling) that some people say they have absolutely no issues with battery life, while others seem to be in the same boat as me. So does it have to do with the area you live in? I live/work in the middle of downtown Seattle, so I have a hard time understanding how this could be the issue, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be, other than maybe just bad luck in receiving a faulty phone.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So I have the same issue as the OP -- coming from an iPhone, the battery life on this phone (as much as I love it) is relatively horrendous. Just a few minutes of web surfing will see the battery percentage drop a few percent. I noticed though (while vacationing abroad) that when the plane is on airplane mode the battery life is significantly improved - to the point where it's on par with my previous iPhone. But turning off Bluetooth, GPS, and apps that fetch data regularly now that I'm back in the States hasn't helped. It only seems to be airplane mode that does it.

Does this mean it has something to do with the phone's cell service? ie- it trying to reach towers nearby? I'm not a technical person at all, so this is just a wild guess...
I have noticed (from a little Googling) that some people say they have absolutely no issues with battery life, while others seem to be in the same boat as me. So does it have to do with the area you live in? I live/work in the middle of downtown Seattle, so I have a hard time understanding how this could be the issue, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be, other than maybe just bad luck in receiving a faulty phone.

Yeah on airplane mode the battery is rock solid. I'm spending the summer in Tucson, AZ and I usually have good LTE signal. I don't think that's my problem either, but the new kernel I'm running improves standby a lot.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I get between 3-4 hours of screen on time but I purposely keep the screen really dim. People may say that's good but believe it or not the phone drains more on standby than with the screen actually on.

I will edit this if the information is further down in the thread, but can you post some screen shots of the your battery usage? The graph too please.

EDIT: Please keep us apprised of battery life on the new kernel. :) Also, when running custom ROM's and kernels, it can be a guessing game to see what works best. I've found that, most of the time, the kernel that comes "bundled" with the ROM works best. That's not always the case, but a lot of the big popular ROM's have already tested the more popular kernels to see what works best.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5 could last forever on standby, literally 3-5 hours without losing a single percent. At this point I'm considering going back to it

I swear you can't read a question about battery life without a statement like this being made. It's awesome that the iPhone can do something, but this is an Android device so it's going to be different. There's things Android can do that iPhone can't, and I wouldn't expect them to be the same if I switched to Apple. I get that you're saying if one high end device can, they all should. But the One has a higher definition screen, it's larger, and the OS does a lot more than iOS does. You cannot expect one to do something just cause the other can. Especially when it's different across the board. I've heard many iPhone 5 users complain about poor battery life.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I swear you can't read a question about battery life without a statement like this being made. It's awesome that the iPhone can do something, but this is an Android device so it's going to be different. There's things Android can do that iPhone can't, and I wouldn't expect them to be the same if I switched to Apple. I get that you're saying if one high end device can, they all should. But the One has a higher definition screen, it's larger, and the OS does a lot more than iOS does. You cannot expect one to do something just cause the other can. Especially when it's different across the board. I've heard many iPhone 5 users complain about poor battery life.

I just got the HTC one yesterday a day I charged it and I have been getting great battery. So it may be your phone.

Posted via Android Central App

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I think you may see iPhone users complaining about battery life because its really one of the only major downsides to android devices. Just about all of the rest of the android OS is superior to iOS, so it's just this one issue that stands out.

Also, you're right, the iPhone 5 has battery performance far below all previous iPhones.

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been a 32GB unlocked HTC One owner since day one. Battery life for me has been very mediocre, barely enough to make it through a work day with light to moderate usage. For some reason this phone drains so much on standby it's ridiculous. Last week I finally gave in and decided to root. I've found that standby still sucks but the screen uses less power so I can get more screen on time on average. I'm running InsertCoin with ElementalX kernel and for every hour of standby I lose ~3+ percent of battery! I'm not even using the phone! I have EVERY APP on my phone Greenified, Google Search, Gmail, and Play Music uninstalled, I have the phone undervolted and monitor everything with Wakelock Detector and GSAM. Nothing looks weird to me but for some reason my standby still sucks. I've literally crippled my phone and have all location services turned off and I still can't get good standby time. My iPhone 5 could last forever on standby, literally 3-5 hours without losing a single percent. I've been using Android for years and the only phone that got GOOD battery life was the Note 2. At this point I'm considering going back to it because I'm sick of micromanaging my phone and still not getting good results.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

Try Juice Defender. Without it, my battery drains quickly. I've used it for about 2 years now. I now own Ultimate - one of the first apps I put on any new phone!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Gps off, auto update on every 15 min. Bluetooth off. Juice defender disabling mobile data while connected to WiFi, etc. Auto brightness.

Sent from my HTC One

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373609172857.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373609172857.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 28

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I never understood this stat. Why is overnight battery loss something people use as a benchmark? Plug your phone in overnight.

Because they aren't actually using the phone during that time so it's a clearer picture of what the phone is doing when unattended. Whereas during the day you are actually using the phone and the screen is on. It's logical. It's how I catch problems usually. If the phone drains overnight I am going to notice it a lot faster then if some app is draining it during the day.

Vineeth Mohan

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I think HTCs quality control practices are to be blamed here. I have an HTC One and the battery life is excellent. I have noticed these variations in performance on different devices and HTC must consider it seriously if they value long term growth and a loyal customer base. Certain HTC One's have call reception issues, some have build quality issues, others have battery issues etc (my HTC One has a significantly obtrusive purple haze when used in extreme low light conditions). So its a mixed bag. This is not a good way to move forward.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc