127 degrees Fahrenheit!

Patrick Williams13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
We are in the midst of a heat wave over here in Ireland and my phone was plugged into the official car dock today and the phone hit 53 degrees Celsius (127 F) surely that is not far from spontaneous combustion! It was way too hot to touch. Anyone else hit these scorching temps?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
We are in the midst of a heat wave over here in Ireland and my phone was plugged into the official car dock today and it hit 53 degrees Celsius (127 F) surely that is not far from spontaneous combustion! It was way too hot to touch. Anyone else hit these scorching temps?

Hi there... I was left my phone in the car (iPhone), right in the sun light I waited for it to cool down and it worked fine after. Just try not to make it a everyday thing.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I hit 152 on my DNA only once and in the basement of my house not charging I feel it was an app that hung the CPU

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

-Scienide-

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
We are in the midst of a heat wave over here in Ireland and my phone was plugged into the official car dock today and the phone hit 53 degrees Celsius (127 F) surely that is not far from spontaneous combustion! It was way too hot to touch. Anyone else hit these scorching temps?

We're having the same heatwave across the pond in England. My phone gets way too hot when my lad plays games on it. Freaked me out. In the car I have my phone mounted in a cradle that's in front of an air vent. Stick the aircon on and the phone becomes ice cold to touch. Its awesome lol

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
53 degrees Celsius is too hot. Electronic components start to drift at around 42-43 degrees Celsius, this is the gold in the microprocessors starts to expand more than what is allowed by the specs of the casing.

Normally you have heatsink to prevent that, but this doesn't work up to really high temperature and may even inhibit it.

So at around 42 C the gold expands and the electronic signals take slightly more time to transfer (it may help to understand that electricity does not travel at the speed of light. It is actually quite very slow). At temperatures of mid 50s the metal may have expanded to the point of not being able to contract back to normal (stretch). At temperatures of above 60 C, the gold contacts may break, causing what is commonly referred to as burnout.

The moral of the story is cooling it down may return it to normal if it wasn't past the manufacturers specifications, but there is a point of no return and you would always see a degradation in performance.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AC Forums mobile app

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
It's usually like that over here in Egypt, or at least it was about three weeks ago, now it's getting better and remains at 35 in the morning.

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes when I am working I have to drive while talking on my phone via hands free headset, run the GPS, and charge it. The last 3 or so smart phones I have had got pretty hot when doing this. It sounds crazy but what I do is sit the phone up against the AC vent in my car, or even sort of wedge it in there. (Its usually hot where I live anyhow). This really cools it on down where I can keep going.

grgiwoyna

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there... I was left my phone in the car (iPhone), right in the sun light I waited for it to cool down and it worked fine after. Just try not to make it a everyday thing.

I think you misunderstood the OP's point. I believe he's saying that it was quite warm where he is and that his device became exceptionally warm while it was placed in the car dock, not that he left it in the car in direct sunlight..

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
We're having the same heatwave across the pond in England. My phone gets way too hot when my lad plays games on it. Freaked me out. In the car I have my phone mounted in a cradle that's in front of an air vent. Stick the aircon on and the phone becomes ice cold to touch. Its awesome lol

Is it bad that I read this and in my head it was a british accent?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

-Scienide-

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't everyone there? If so, why not? I think it'd be fun to traverse a society with endless tophats and monacles...

Of course we not! I hate it when people get this wrong. We actually wear Bowler hats, hold umbrellas and pints of beer, all while standing in the rain lol

Europa-Brit-seen-by-Frenc-001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy