My HTC One is using too much data?

andy24king

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry is if this is duplicated somewhere else, I'm a newbie. So go along and please answer accordingtly. I've had to turn off my mobile data off this week, cos I've only 144mb left of my allowence. Now I keep checking the possible problems, apps runnung in the background, I'm right in thinking widgets use data right, I've only got the bbc weather widget, so thats widgets sorted.

Apps using data in the background - well actually apps runnung in the background are as follows, antivirus and that reads 1 process 1 service, and that checks every night using my wifi; the usual hTC stuff; dropbox but thats wifi only; maps 2 processes 2 services; and finally swiftkey (excellent app).

What about blinkfeed? do I need to reduce the amount of information I'm getting but then that only updates thru wifi too. And I know the usual, don't donwload apps using 3G, don't play videos/music using 3G cos I know all this uses data.

I think I've covered most of what I know about data. Anybody else please help?

Last edited by a moderator:

saalnaz

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: My hTC One is using too much data?

Strange. Because I think the phone manages data usage nicely. I'm on wifi mostly though but even when I use data no issues at all.

Posted via Android Central App

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Sorry is if this is duplicated somewhere else, I'm a newbie. So go along and please answer accordingtly. I've had to turn off my mobile data off this week, cos I've only 144mb left of my allowence. Now I keep checking the possible problems, apps runnung in the background, I'm right in thinking widgets use data right, I've only got the bbc weather widget, so thats widgets sorted.

Apps using data in the background - well actually apps runnung in the background are as follows, antivirus and that reads 1 process 1 service, and that checks every night using my wifi; the usual hTC stuff; dropbox but thats wifi only; maps 2 processes 2 services; and finally swiftkey (excellent app).

What about blinkfeed? do I need to reduce the amount of information I'm getting but then that only updates thru wifi too. And I know the usual, don't donwload apps using 3G, don't play videos/music using 3G cos I know all this uses data.

Just go to settings/More/Usage, scroll down and see what is using data in the background. If you don't want an app to use it, restrict it from using background data there as well.

Phil Woods1

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm using too much data according to Verizon. Nice person at Veri Store said try using a WiFi connection, that way I will not be charged for data downloaded through the WiFi portal. Is that correct????

dhewie84

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

This is my first smartphone, and was pleased to see how easy it is to restrict data usage. I simply keep mobile data off all of the time unless I am away from Wifi. It's an easy swipe down and then tap on the Mobile Data, so you don't have to worry about the phone using data when you don't want it to.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site

Go to Settings / More / Usage to see the list of apps that are consuming data. Tell us what you have there. If you use Dropbox for uploading photos, double check that it only uploads them on Wi-Fi. The same applies for other apps like it if you don't want to use more data.

This is my first smartphone, and was pleased to see how easy it is to restrict data usage. I simply keep mobile data off all of the time unless I am away from Wifi. It's an easy swipe down and then tap on the Mobile Data, so you don't have to worry about the phone using data when you don't want it to.

There's no need to manually turn off mobile data while on Wi-Fi. Android (and other OS) will always use Wi-Fi as long as you are connected to a network that has internet connectivity.

dhewie84

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

True, but I don't trust it to not do something to use data when I'm not connected to wifi (I do have background data restricted on all apps) since we have a small allowance of data. One of these days I plan to test it out to see if any data does get used, but since it's so easy to turn it on/off, I haven't bothered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair