when to charge

batman741

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've seen opposing views on the threads. I usually wait until the battery is below 10 % and then charge it fully- somehow I recall this being the key to bettery longevity.

However I've also read in forums that this is bad for the phone, that it should be charged earlier.

Any thoughts as to the optimal charging procedure to ensure max battery life?

Posted via Android Central App

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
As you already said, this is something that's always will cause arguments from both sides.

I personally prefer to charge my phones as often as I can without worrying. Normally, I would use my phone and plug it once in the afternoon for about 30-45 minutes so it can last until I go to bed (at 12:00am-1:00am). Some times when I'm at home and I know in advance I will be going out for long periods, I will charge it to 100% even if the phone was at 70%-80% just to be able to use it without having any thoughts about it's remaining battery.

I've being doing this for 3- years and all phones have had great battery life.

My advice, charge it as often as you need to. Don't worry about the battery life cycles.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not necessary but I got used to it and don't see the harm...

Whenever I get a new toy, before I use I charge it 100%. I don't charge it until drops down to 20%. After I do, I charge it whenever I need to and I also try to avoid it letting it drop below 10%.

I don't even know it helps or why I bother knowing that I will sell it after 4-6 months depending what's out.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't wait until it's 10%. This gives you no advantage and in truth if you drain it that much (if for example it goes to 0%) it will mess with the longevity of your battery.
I usually charge it when I know I'm going to use it for many hours without being able to charge. I charge between 20%-40% depending on the situation.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've seen opposing views on the threads. I usually wait until the battery is below 10 % and then charge it fully- somehow I recall this being the key to bettery longevity.

However I've also read in forums that this is bad for the phone, that it should be charged earlier.

Any thoughts as to the optimal charging procedure to ensure max battery life?

Posted via Android Central App

Deep discharges such as letting it drain below 10% then charging until full will reduce the life of your battery. It is true that a battery has a certain amount of charging cycles until it starts to decline, but the amount of discharge per cycle will predict how many cycles the battery will remain good for. Charge when you can and try to avoid dropping below 20 percent when possible. Your battery will last several years this way.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Just charge when it's convenient (bed time, in the car etc...) and don't worry about it. Whatever you do it's not going to make a huge amount of difference and certainly isn't worth the hassle of stressing over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Agree with mojofilter. Just charge it whenever you want. I have chargers at home, work and in the car. Plus a portable battery charger. Usually when it's gets to near 50%, I'll put it on a charger. And I charge it overnight.