New to Android and need some help

Jcozmo

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok im a new user of android, I had an opportunity to trade my iPhone for and HTC one while not having to give up my iPhone because work gave me one.

I am determined to take the next 8 months or so to find out how the other half lives as the saying goes...

I have some initial issues I would like some feedback from experienced Android users.

1. I'm having a general issue with perceived responsiveness. It seems that often "tapping" is not accepted and I have to "press" much more, is this just typical of Android or a possible phone defect?

2. My biggest gripe at the moment is with the most used app for me - the browser. At first I assumed that chrome was the browser I should be using as I use it on my desktop. I have found this to be completely unusable. It's extremely buggy, freezes consistently and is totally unresponsive to clicking links, is this typical?

Firefox is even worse than chrome, it's also pixikated and extremely slow. This led me back to the stock browser, which is decent but still not great, or what I would call an adequate comparison to safari in the iPhone. Att unfortunately add this idiotic share bar that pops up every time I go to a new screen, any way to disable this?

What browser performs best on this phone, I use a browser so much that having a poor experience with it is damn near a deal breaker for me, any advice is appreciated.

One mire thing, I don't use the app that much but is it typical for Facebook to also be unusable? It's just the unresponsivness that is infuriating and something I'm not used to ever have to deal with from the OS or mainstream apps that is driving me up a wall here

Posted via Android Central App

JNordgren

May 29, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you may have a flaky phone. I also came from iPhone (just a regular 4) and I find my One to actually be more stable and responsive than my 4 was. I hardly ever have an app force close and I've done quite a bit of experimentation with launchers and widgets and such. I would see if you can get it replaced and hopefully you have a much better experience.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
The phones default browser is the best, unfortunately. As far as the responsiveness of the touch part....you need to make sure that you have the latest firmware; the newer firmware addressed the issue with touch responsiveness. If not, then you got a bad device, I would imagine.

Jcozmo

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean latest firmware? How can I check.. I have hear them refer to 4 .2.2 as firmware but we don't have that here yet for download

Jcozmo

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
And man I am having a horrendous time with the keyboard so far, but I'm assuming its me getting used to this, but its hard to keep believing that sometimes

Jcozmo

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I say it that way regarding the firmware because it sounds weird to me to call the os updates as firmware

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One is the fastest, most responsive Android based phone I've seen or used, it absolutely meets or exceeds the iPhone 5, and is noticeably smoother than the GS4.

If it acts like you are saying - it's defective or otherwise broken. Replace it.

You are not experiencing a software issue, or a lack of firmware update.

Jcozmo

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hodan I have no reason to make it up, I want it to meet or exceed what I gave up for it, but I wonder how I prove its defective to att, just show them the browser is awful and sometimes takes several taps to enter the URL bar? Moving around the home screens is very responsive it seems selective. In that I would be very difficult for me to try and say it's a hardware issue, I wish I had access to someone such as yourself tobhand the phone to and say is there something wrong with this phone or me, but I don't know that I could do that confidently with a salesperson at att

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I use Dolphin as my default browser. It's only gotten better over the years and is pretty sweet after the last update. Very fast and responsive.

As for the keyboard, I use SwiftKey (free trial available). I also hear good things about Google Keyboard (free). Both should be improvements over the stock keyboard.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I moved from a 4S to the One like 2 weeks ago, and I haven't faced the same issues you have. I can't comment on why you're seeing that lag or un-responsiveness, but maybe you can try formatting the phone and see if that fixes it? My One has been as quick as my 4S, and the only thing I sometimes have to press twice is the capacitive buttons for Back and Home. I think this is more to do with me just missing the button and pressing the empty space next it though.

For the browser, I use Chrome, and I love it. I used to use Chrome as Default on iOS, so it feels quite familiar and is quite quick. The Chrome Sync thing is cool too, if you use Chrome on multiple devices.

David_LFC

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I also recently moved from iPhone 5 lost it on holiday and thought it was time for a chance.

Know what you mean about the address bar. After using safari for so long just couldn't get used to chrome or stock

After trying about 10 browsers and finally settled with boat browser

One button favourites (at the bottom of the screen)
Gesture's including back to top
Full screen
Responsive

For keyboard tried both kii and Google and settled with Google

Know what you mean for back and home button

Things I miss most though is lock info and bite SMS as had it jail broken. And chomp just not as polished.

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I also recently moved from iPhone 5 lost it on holiday and thought it was time for a chance.

Know what you mean about the address bar. After using safari for so long just couldn't get used to chrome or stock

After trying about 10 browsers and finally settled with boat browser

One button favourites (at the bottom of the screen)
Gesture's including back to top
Full screen
Responsive

For keyboard tried both kii and Google and settled with Google

Know what you mean for back and home button

Things I miss most though is lock info and bite SMS as had it jail broken. And chomp just not as polished.

Me too. IPhone 5 to htc one. SwiftKey keyboard works awesome IMO. I love chomp as it is very close to bite. I use Chrome. I noticed the bug as well when tapping on the address bar and no response. However, I'm really enjoying Android so far.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
One mire thing, I don't use the app that much but is it typical for Facebook to also be unusable?
No matter what Android phone you use, expect the Facebook app to be anything from terrible to mediocre. It's pretty much always been like this. At one point there was a rumor that Facebook was forcing employees to use Android phones in hopes that it would motivate them to make a Facebook app for Android that didn't suck, but I'm not sure it worked.

Facebookers Force Fed Terrible Android App in the Hopes It’ll Make Them Want to Fix It | WebProNews

Browsing is usually considered to be better on iOS than Android as well. Just keep searching for a browser you like the best. I agree that Dolphin is one of the better ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12