Has anyone heard of water damage to this phone yet?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if the design of the phone makes it a little more resistant to damage from getting wet.

I know the ports and speaker grills still leave it exposed, but the sealed nature of the rest of the phone may give it some protection from a splash or something. I'm sure if it gets submerged it will probably fail just as any other phone.

But has anyone had a spill on the phone that you think would have caused damage with a "regular" phone that the One survived?

doboYeee

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriends htc one and my htc one was in her purse during a water ride. So much water got in the purse like halfway and our phones got soaked. Mine ended up working perfectly but hers had water in the speaker grills and headphone port. She turned it off to prevent water damage and after about 3 hours I tried to turn it back on. It turned on to the loading screen then went flat black, so I assumed there was still water in it and it short circuited. Wouldn't turn on at all afterwards or have the orange led when plugged in. Once we got home, I put it in a bowl of rice overnight and the next morning plugged it into the charger. The orange led turned on and the phone powered on dramatically! Sorry for the long story, but just putting my experience with the htc one and water damage. I would say its pretty damn good!

Phil Hendy

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm it's pretty good, dropped my One down the toilet, yes really, it was 80% submerged for 2 seconds dried it off immediately, powered off, put in container with rice in a warm cupboard for 3 hours, dried it completely with a hair dryer for 15 minutes then placed inside a tea towel in a gas oven at gas mark 1 for 10 minutes, left it cool overnight plugged in and have ZERO problems :)

Posted via Android Central App

grgiwoyna

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
While these are certainly success stories for the time being (good for each of you), I'd imagine you'll encounter issues down the road eventually leading to cascade failure. Not trying to be a Debbie-downer - just speaking from experience and the experience of others that had initial success only for their devices to completely fail sometime down the road (and sooner rather than later).

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had other phones work after water issues, but soon fail after. I lost a lot of pics (prior to cloud storage) so if you don't regularly back-up, it would be a good time to do so. Just food for thought, but I do hope your phones keep working.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

llallz

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i dropped mine in the toilet the other day, it was submerged for at most a second. The part that's stupid is that i had it in the Defender Otterbox which has a built in screen protector, plugs that seal off the headphone jack, as well as the power supply port... I took it out immediatley, dried off, etc. Put it rice overnight and the following day, upon plugging in the power cord the phone was stuck in a boot loop and after some tinkering, if i hold the power button it does launch in safe mode and the phone is fully operational, however; if i let go of the power a second later the phone cuts off back to the boot loop screen. Also, i tried a hard reset by holding the volume down button until that screen pops up but as soon as i hit volume down again to select factory restore or reboot it cuts off to a flat black screen and back into the endless boot loop non-sense. -_-

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah i dropped mine in the toilet the other day, it was submerged for at most a second. The part that's stupid is that i had it in the Defender Otterbox which has a built in screen protector, plugs that seal off the headphone jack, as well as the power supply port... I took it out immediatley, dried off, etc. Put it rice overnight and the following day, upon plugging in the power cord the phone was stuck in a boot loop and after some tinkering, if i hold the power button it does launch in safe mode and the phone is fully operational, however; if i let go of the power a second later the phone cuts off back to the boot loop screen. Also, i tried a hard reset by holding the volume down button until that screen pops up but as soon as i hit volume down again to select factory restore or reboot it cuts off to a flat black screen and back into the endless boot loop non-sense. -_-

Darren Blackmore

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I had an incident today.
My one x dropped down a river bank and ended up 100% submerged in 4" of water for about 12-15 seconds! It has a rubber case but the headphone port, usb port, Mic hole, speaker grill and earpiece grill are fully exposed.
I had been filming some friends kayaking and was a long way from home. I shook it off and switched it on from standby, it behaved perfectly. Maybe foolishly I filmed another 5 mins worth of clips. No problems.. I placed the device on the windscreen heater for an hour.
I'm now home 3hours after it's swim. I've plugged it in to charge as I'm thinking the heat from charging may help and have just been looking at the filmed clips and reading and replying to this thread for about 40mins..
I will back it up in the next hour and will place it on a heater left on in standby. I have insurance but hope it's gonna be alright!

Any suggestions would be welcome but so far it seems fine..

Yuriy Aleksander

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I damaged mine immediately after it got into a direct flowing source of water. Do not buy, too many problems with the phone, definitely not as good as advertised. Major issues with keyboard.

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I damaged mine immediately after it got into a direct flowing source of water. Do not buy, too many problems with the phone, definitely not as good as advertised. Major issues with keyboard.

How does that make any logical sense? You're telling people to not buy a phone because you were careless enough to damage your own by exposing it to conditions it was neither designed nor advertised to withstand?

And as for everyone else saying that they put their phones in rice... please stop propagating the myth that it's the best thing to do for a water -damaged phone. Our devices are worth hundreds of dollars so stop being cheap and buy a few silica desiccant packs and an airtight container like a Tupperware container and do it properly. Rice has lots of very fine, starchy dust that you do not want inside a wet/moist device.