notification sounds won't change

Spikman56

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Been trying to change my txt notifications sounds and every time I do and hit apply it says it's changed but when I get a txt it's still the old sound and it's damn annoying. Anyone know how to fix this?

Posted via Android Central App

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the default Text Messaging App, or one downloaded from the app store? If you do have another app installed for messaging, perhaps they are conflicting with each other.

Ken CleanAir System

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Where exactly are you trying to change the sound? If you are changing the 'Notification' sound under the 'Personalize' section in the main settings then you are looking in the wrong place. To change the text message notification sound you need to change it from within the text message app itself. Open the Messaging app, then open the settings menu (you'll find it at the bottom of the menu opened by the three dots in the top right corner). Under the Notifications section of the settings you will find the correct place to change the text message notification sound.

This is assuming you are using the default message app. If using a different app for txt and most messages you'll likely find the setting you need in a different, but similar location.

gokarts2

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
have tried through the message app and still can't change it:(
tried restarting the phone and waiting for a text from a friend, didn't work aarrgh

Last edited:

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Handcent is a free texting app, you can set individual notification sounds with it. There is also handcent emojis a free add on.

Alfonso F R

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here: notifications sounds will not change after selecting a different one from the sound selector within Twitter's Android app configuration wizard for the active user. And the preset sound is really damn loud and annoying. Anyone figured out how to do this or any hope on getting Twitter to fix this bug?

I filed an error report today on Twitter's help account. I would reinstall the app, but I'm not sure whether that would fix the problem or not, and I do not want to risk losing all my settings, such as starred users whose updates I want to receive instantly.

BTW, some of these thweets are being skipped, a problem that Twitter is already aware of. And search is damn slow now, has me even waiting over 30 seconds every time, when a year ago it was lightning-quick. Also not all posts are shown for a user unless I manually force an update from the app by pulling the screen down. And lists have similar issues: not being properly updated and such.
I guess that they are moving to a NoSQL-based probabilistic database system due to the large amount of accumulated tweets over the years, and at the same time being too scrooge on hardware resources. I hope that they will change this terrible policy, specially after introducing ads, which should give them some steady source of income to deal with investments in HR and infrastructure. Otherwise, Twitter will be a thing of the past, while we users all move on to the next Google or whatever...

TommyRox

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I go into settings and change the ringtone but it defaults to the default notification ringtone... It will not change to what I choose. I would like to reiterate that I'm not talking about text messaging I'm talking about notifications within the Twitter app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Blake Mead

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem if anybody has a fix please let me know. Twitter on AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

martnava

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
hi, on the htc one m8, if you have done messages/.../settings/notifications/notification sound and then changed the notification sound, clicked applied only to find that the sound is still on the default dahlia, it may be that you need to give the messages app permission to access storage.

to do this, go to your main settings page then go to apps. find the messages app and click on it. find the permissions bit, click on that then tick the "storage" tick box. you should now be able to set your notification to the desired tone and it will stick.

its annoying that the m8 does not at least output an error message saying why it hasnt changed the tone

katie przew

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
If you download Zedge for free, it lets you change your ringtone/notification/alarm sound directly from the app and then you wont have to deal with the shady htc settings. It does show actually up, too, that your ringtone has been updated, when you go into settings. You can also change your ringtone right from the music app (not google play music, just the regular music app), if you have mp3s downloaded that would work for your ringtone. Cheers, good luck.

beth pamula

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
I use Zedge and my notification tone will not change and is stuck on the same tone. Both the app and the phone show it as changed but it still plays the same thing. I've tried deleting the app. Deleting that tone. It still won't change.

Ryanath

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that, it was the only thing I hadn't thought of trying! Now after months of my notification being Delilah and too damn quiet I now have my normal loud text notification again and work can finally wake my azz up when I'm on call! You are a star Martnava! :D

Joeyjojo65

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
hi, on the htc one m8, if you have done messages/.../settings/notifications/notification sound and then changed the notification sound, clicked applied only to find that the sound is still on the default dahlia, it may be that you need to give the messages app permission to access storage.

to do this, go to your main settings page then go to apps. find the messages app and click on it. find the permissions bit, click on that then tick the "storage" tick box. you should now be able to set your notification to the desired tone and it will stick.

its annoying that the m8 does not at least output an error message saying why it hasnt changed the tone

Thanks so much, you just solved my annoying little problem. My phone came up with two notifications about permissions yesterday, so this made sense, mental note, don't accept things without putting on your glasses and checking 😝

bcaka

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Excellent @martnava, this was exactly my problem with several apps where I could not change the notification sound. I made several visits to the local AT&T offices to no avail (they kept saying my phone has a defective antenna, WTH?). Anyway, this security setting was my problem, thanks!

sgputter

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I spent days trying to resolve this on my Galaxy Note 5. Even rebuilt the phone.
I finally fixed it by deleting 'File Commander' and 'ES File Explorer' these apps didn't allow me to select the ringtones or default notification sounds. Once deleted, the standard Android file explorer allows selection of the embedded sounds and mp3 ringtones.

lister fiend

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site

this problem has been winding me up for weeks
i love you & i want to have your babies!
thank you very much

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey