SwiftKey Question

ddillon80

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
So I've had this phone for about 3.5 months and over the course of that time I have made some changes with the keyboard. First, I started out with the stock Sense 5 keyboard with the trace feature enabled. I stuck with that for about a month and then went with Swype which I def liked better but I kept hearing about how great the SwiftKey keyboard was. I stuck with Swype until 3-days ago when I finally purchased the new version of SwiftKey, on-sale now for $1.99 in the Play Store, and I have to tell you I wish I purchased this app the day I got the phone. It is by far the best keyboard I have used.

I do have one gripe and maybe it's something that can be fixed in the settings so for all the SwiftKey experts I have a question:

When typing an "I" SwiftKey does not auto-capitalize it. Swype and even the stock keyboard did this. Is there a way to get SwiftKey to auto-capitalize "I's" other than when it is at the start of a new sentence? Thanks :)

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So I've had this phone for about 3.5 months and over the course of that time I have made some changes with the keyboard. First, I started out with the stock Sense 5 keyboard with the trace feature enabled. I stuck with that for about a month and then went with Swype which I def liked better but I kept hearing about how great the SwiftKey keyboard was. I stuck with Swype until 3-days ago when I finally purchased the new version of SwiftKey, on-sale now for $1.99 in the Play Store, and I have to tell you I wish I purchased this app the day I got the phone. It is by far the best keyboard I have used.

I do have one gripe and maybe it's something that can be fixed in the settings so for all the SwiftKey experts I have a question:

When typing an "I" SwiftKey does not auto-capitalize it. Swype and even the stock keyboard did this. Is there a way to get SwiftKey to auto-capitalize "I's" other than when it is at the start of a new sentence? Thanks :)

Don't have a One, but my SwiftKey always capitalizes an I. Did you check your settings thoroughly?

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
That's weird, to me it does. When I press the "i" it's shown in lower case, but it's immediately inserted in uppercase as a correction.

Maybe you should try selecting it manually a few times, in the future it will insert it for you.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been using SwiftKey for years... Best keyboard ever. Please be sure you go into the settings and authorize it to back up daily to your Google account... This way your predictions save even when you get a new phone :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I got it on sale too a week ago. I have it using Spanish and English and it auto capitalizes the letter I after tapping space or the letter on the suggestions box.

I'm not that impressed with it. After reading lots or praise I expect to be blown away honestly. May get back to the stock one, which I found to be great but I always like to try stuff. I will use it for another week and see if I keep it or return to stock.

The only things I don't like about SwiftKey is that you can't choose not to auto space after a period, comma or other punctuation sign. I also don't like the layout of the numbers/signs. Most of the time I handle the phone one hanged and having the numbers on the left side feels weird.

The themes need to improve to look more flat IMHO but they are ok. I'm using the default theme.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got it on sale too a week ago. I have it using Spanish and English and it auto capitalizes the letter I after tapping space or the letter on the suggestions box.

I'm not that impressed with it. After reading lots or praise I expect to be blown away honestly. May get back to the stock one, which I found to be great but I always like to try stuff. I will use it for another week and see if I keep it or return to stock.

The only things I don't like about SwiftKey is that you can't choose not to auto space after a period, comma or other punctuation sign. I also don't like the layout of the numbers/signs. Most of the time I handle the phone one hanged and having the numbers on the left side feels weird.

The themes need to improve to look more flat IMHO but they are ok. I'm using the default theme.

You won't be blown away as in the keyboard isn't going to tap into your brain and type for you or anything... It has to learn you.

In all seriousness I think people read the reviews and expect that. You have to use the keyboard for awhile and then it will learn you... That's when it is useful. In the first few weeks it is just another keyboard. Mine has learned me and I can type certain words and finish the rest of the sentence without typing since it's learned what I am most likely going to say. The spelling correction and space correction can be awesome to when typing rapidly.

As for the common and period space.. I agree that should be an option and not forced. Contact support and let them know... They really do listen to suggestions like that.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy