Can't access my keyboard on HTC One -- voice only

ntenn

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a major problem with my (8 day old) HTC One and I wonder if anyone can help me. I turned it off last night for a movie and turned it back on a couple hours later -- only to find I could not access my keyboard in text or email. Whenever I try to send a text the "tap to speak" voice input option is all that comes up. I can't seem to access the keyboard by tapping the "keyboard" icon to the left of the mic. I tried disabling Google Voice Input but can't seem to make that work.

I have SwiftKey installed as the keyboard and turning it on or off doesn't seem to help.

I used an iPhone for three years and never had problems like this... I was so excited to switch to an android but am slowly regretting my decision, because now I more or less cannot use my smartphone without my keyboard. How can I get my keyboard back? Please help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-29-10-28-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-29-10-28-19.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2013-08-29-10-28-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-29-10-28-13.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 28

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried going to the notification area to select a different keyboard? Sometimes this happens when I restart my phone, but when I go up there and select SwiftKey again, all is good.

I wonder if you have another app installed that's forcing the voice input?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to restart the phone? Press and hold power button then select "restart" from menu.

I also see that there is a keyboard icon in your notification bar at the top. You could pull the notification bar down and see if the default keyboard input is set to voice instead of one of the actual keyboards.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have never had this happen to me with SwiftKey.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Bradthomas

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
PLEASE HELP :)

I am having the same issue except my phone is on the lock screen with a 4 digit pin to unlock it.

I can't access settings or the app drawer and restarting it the phone still needs the pin. I have 'said' the pin, 'said' it followed by 'enter' or 'return' but it's not working.

The phone also turned off my ringer so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

phamduc89

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
it happened to me. after hours browsing all over the internet, forums and google but none of them helped. finally i figured it out: go to setting > language and keyboard > google voice typing settings > offline speech recognition. go ahead and download the English package (22MB). enjoy! :)

Jhansi Rani

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Please help me, i am not able to scroll any option in HTC after going to Settings from this option not scrolling down except first page,facing problem to see next options to see options like this (->Accessibility, scroll down to the Services Category and click Addons Detector. Read the bottom paragraph. Then turn that function OFF):':)':)':)':)':)'(

margaret1947

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the post above,I am now able to text again.Since yesterday evening I have only been able to use the speak now option an it was driving me barmey.:)

Chaluch

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happened to me on the htc m8 and i just went to the settings and factory reset the phone from there and that seemed to do the trick just fine.

prashantgh

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Was this problem solved and how?

As this things happened with me and I cannot try any other solutions as I can't get to any settings.

Regards,
Prashant

Rasha Ahmad

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I also have the same problem. I cannot access the settings without the password. I tried to restart many times, tried safe mode, delete cache non of them worked. Is there a way to solve the problem without loosing my data? thanks!