Frustrated with Charging the HTC One in the Car

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what I'm going to do now.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah I am using a custom kernel of ARHD 21.0 and have been using Waze, Google maps, and playing music and I can't get it to overheat when using power save. Previously I was on ARHD 12.3 (custom ROM) and it only happened like twice.

Now it constantly charges and I have no issues with battery drain. If you are traveling long distances is it an option to turn the screen off for awhile if you're driving on the express way and going a long way with no turns for a long time?

Sometimes I just turn mine off. I still get maps guidance telling me where to turn and what exits to take that play through my car speakers or Bluetooth headset. It still tracks where I'm going and gives me voice guidance.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

jrasero23

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Battery Saving Mode is built in to the phone and switches on at around 14%.... although I only use my GPS at about an Hour at a time iv not had any problems you describe-. even while listening to Rad.io while using the GPS iv not had any problems with over heating or discharging. untouched my one will stay in the 90% battery range for half the day...also I get all day use out of my HTC ONE with moderate to heavy use-.

I wish you good luck with the S4......

Well Verizon could have fooled me, because you claim battery saving mode is built in and switches on at 14%? That is when I saw the fastest drain

Stamponephoto

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just used my Verizon HTC One for 3.5 hr trip. I left it plugged in and I didn't get any noticeable drain. My issue was temperature. With the screen turned to low it still managed to get up to 136?F! I had to take off the case and turn off the screen just so it didn't burn a whole through the upholstery. I hope it didn't do any permanent damage to the phone. Is there anyway to keep the screen on without it getting so ridiculously hot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Of course I do some driving yesterday and it got so hot it wouldn't charge anymore. Never lost a percentage but it stopped charging from overheating. Consistently inconsistent!

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thanks

So at the end of the day, what do you think of the charging times with the htc one? Too excessive? Compared to the s4 or g2.

I almost got one last night but I backed out.

I probably should pick up a cheap sprint galaxy nexus and use that along side my 5.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure how they compare. I know that on an iPhone 4, charging was slow with GPS but it didn't stop from overheating. Like, ever - unless I left it on my seat and the sun was beaming on it and it truly did overheat. I think that happened once in my entire life of my 2 years with the phone. There is a lot that I love about the HTC phone - there truly is. Personally, battery charging isn't one of them. My battery life is just fine, but using apps and then...having the phone overheat randomly, but reproduce-able (mostly) by using GPS sucks. It's not a dealbreaker for me, since I can usually turn the screen off anyway and get it to charge, or use my juice pack once I'm done using GPS, and so on. So yeah, not a fan of the charging and overheating, but it's only with GPS (in my case) and it's not a real bother since I don't have to use GPS all the time anyway - it's just an every now-and-then feature.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I am using a custom kernel of ARHD 21.0 and have been using Waze, Google maps, and playing music and I can't get it to overheat when using power save. Previously I was on ARHD 12.3 (custom ROM) and it only happened like twice.

Now it constantly charges and I have no issues with battery drain. If you are traveling long distances is it an option to turn the screen off for awhile if you're driving on the express way and going a long way with no turns for a long time?

Sometimes I just turn mine off. I still get maps guidance telling me where to turn and what exits to take that play through my car speakers or Bluetooth headset. It still tracks where I'm going and gives me voice guidance.

That's good to know. I haven't been using Android long enough to even think about getting into the custom ROM scene. I'm still trying to figure out why everybody hates Sense and other similar launchers. :)

But maybe a custom ROM is the way to go. I just don't know much about it at all.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Do any custom ROMs enable quick charging or is that something that's set in hardware?

Well custom kernels like elementalx and the like say they charge faster. Reading through the forums there they seem to indicate that this only affects is when you are connecting via USB. Almost like it forces AC charging like speeds anyway, but won't enable much else. But someone else can feel free to correct me.
I have stuck with using Google maps, having voice navigation on, removing or disabling my lock screen and then turning the screen off. It charges fast this way and when I need to prepare for turning it announces it. And if I want to see the map quick it is just a quick turn on and turn off without worrying about the lock screen. Works perfectly for me so maybe it's an assistive option/combo for others in need?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have stuck with using Google maps, having voice navigation on, removing or disabling my lock screen and then turning the screen off. It charges fast this way and when I need to prepare for turning it announces it. And if I want to see the map quick it is just a quick turn on and turn off without worrying about the lock screen. Works perfectly for me so maybe it's an assistive option/combo for others in need?
Sounds a little less than "perfect" to me.

Perfect would be that I'm able to stream audio from the internet via Bluetooth to my car stereo while using google maps to navigate and gain battery as long as it's plugged in.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well that's easy to agree with, of course. However, given the way the phone is actually made, that's simply not possible without doing things that others aren't interested in doing. And they don't want to root and void a warranty because something they feel should work better in their flagship phone...doesn't.
My suggestion isn't ideal for most people because they don't want to compromise...they want fast charging, they want it to handle more than a single amp like "other" phones do, and so on.
My combination isn't the perfect solution, of course. However, given the situation of the battery tanking hard core when GPS is used and getting too hot for comfort...the combination of items I listed above gives me more hours than I had before...and if I'm actually charging it, it charges and stays fully charged while I'm driving around, making the issue less severe.
Did I like how GPS worked in my old iPhone4 better than this? Yes I did, as I had all of the things that I previously mentioned above. But given that I wanted to try Android and the HTC One, I'll stick with using this type of combination until someone posts something better ;)

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm stumped by this new development:

I had been using a car charger that I had bought which is specifically for HTC.

It always charged in AC mode until recently. It now only charges in USB mode. The one big change I made to my phone was to install CM 10.2. But I don't know why that would make a difference.

Any thoughts?

ewthompson585

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Any new developments here? My take is that the heat and battery issues have been massively under-reported in official reviews, considering forums like this one are chock full of horror stories like the OP's. I have been looking at getting the (new) HTC-One. But I really think I need to let some "real" reviews hit the wire before making the purchase.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I use a 2.0 amp Anker car charger and drive everywhere with bluetooth and Waze running with the screen on. I even occasionally stream music and my battery does not drain.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I use a 2.0 amp Anker car charger and drive everywhere with bluetooth and Waze running with the screen on. I even occasionally stream music and my battery does not drain.

Yeah just kinda stinks that it doesn't charge... I still turn mine off so it charges while driving. Then I just listen to voice navigation... And it charges as well. But I could keep the screen on with an iPhone and it charged constantly with no problems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Any new developments here? My take is that the heat and battery issues have been massively under-reported in official reviews, considering forums like this one are chock full of horror stories like the OP's. I have been looking at getting the (new) HTC-One. But I really think I need to let some "real" reviews hit the wire before making the purchase.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I did hear a very good review in a recent podcast (in fact, I think it may have been Android Central's own podcast, but I can't recall). They made two important points: (1) The 2014 HTC One charges much faster now because it takes advantage of Quick Charge; and (2) the 2014 HTC One does not overheat when running a bunch of resource intense apps, such as navigation.

To be honest, I am very impressed with the new One since it seems to have addressed every single complaint and desire that I had. I wanted knock-on technology. Solved. I wanted SD storage. Solved. I wanted onscreen buttons. Solved. I wanted Quick Charge. Solved. I didn't want overheating. Solved (at least according to reviews). I wanted longer battery time. Solved.

My only real complaint is that I didn't want it larger. Still, I may not care about the size after seeing it in person. I expect that I'll be getting the new One in a couple of weeks.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I was able to resolve this by flashing a custom kernel that enabled fast charging and using a 2ma charger. This enabled me to maintain or gain battery while streaming music and using navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38