Turns out the HTC One DOES have a microSD card slot (But not for us)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yup. The HTC One HAS a microSD card slot, but only for the Chinese and Japanese markets.

Can't stop me from trying to import them. xD

27-htconedualsim.jpg

Seggzy

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
its real. AC has already talked about this variant. Basically China demanded it, so as to not lose the market, HTC complied.

It takes away the all metal unibody though.

SD slot is still a non-issue. With cloud services out the wazoo and the fact that if i really need more physical storage... all i have to do is plug in any flash drive (including sd card)... it doesnt matter.

Or they're fake crappy knockoffs. China's extremely good at ripping things off.

KIRF Articles on Engadget

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
It's real. HTC makes a variant for the Chinese market which has the SD card and the removable back. All of the news sites have already reported on this variant, so it would be best to assume that it is real.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
It's real, I live in Japan and own the HTC J One. Not only do I have a microsd slot, I have a multi color LED :thumbup: of course I'm still on 4.1.2, and not even the latest update at that....

Nemephosis

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Alright, if you guys say it's real then. I would just hate to see anyone end up with a cheap, ripped off piece of garbage instead of a premium unit is all.

j_rivers

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup. The HTC One HAS a microSD card slot, but only for the Chinese and Japanese markets.

View attachment 79706

They are localized versions for the Chinese Telecom operators... The product quality is poor due to the change of the design or some other reasons... You can unlock A Sprint one M7 simcard lock to make it a international phone.

sent from my m7spr using tapatalk 4

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Be careful when importing one. ie the Japanese version is a CDMA device, sure it has roaming capability on GSM/HSPA, but as usual CDMA operators (AU by KDDI in this case) are notorious for refusing to unlock phones.. Actually only one operator in Japan unlocks phones (NTT DoCoMo), and it's a concept they championed not for the good of users but because they wanted iPhone users to use their services instead of their competitors'.

On previous HTC J phones sold on AU, there were talks that if you flashed some international ROM and radio image on it (The HTC J Butterfly, to be precise) it would effectively turn into an unlocked, international, GSM/HSPA variant HTC Butterfly. While it may or may not be possible with the HTC J One, I'd wonder if flashing an international ROM would at the same time completely remove access to the sdcard, since international models don't have it.

THAT being said, there's quite a long thread on XDA's HTC One forum about the Chinese variant and the troubles and joys they go through to make it work in their country of choice, rooting it, etc. IIRC, the Chinese variant doesn't come with Google's apps, so that's already a big minus except for the most paranoid of us who want to avoid Google's services...

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It's real, I live in Japan and own the HTC J One. Not only do I have a microsd slot, I have a multi color LED :thumbup: of course I'm still on 4.1.2, and not even the latest update at that....

You need to hand over that LED...right now.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
You need to hand over that LED...right now.

Come and get it :p

Is this a good time to mention that the HTC J One just got the 4.2.2 update today? Though we'll probably be behind the US when it comes to the 4.3 update, if all the rumors are true about USA versions skipping 4.2 and going straight to 4.3.

deanver

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Plug in any flash drive? I don't understand.

- - - Updated - - -

its real. AC has already talked about this variant. Basically China demanded it, so as to not lose the market, HTC complied.

It takes away the all metal unibody though.

SD slot is still a non-issue. With cloud services out the wazoo and the fact that if i really need more physical storage... all i have to do is plug in any flash drive (including sd card)... it doesnt matter.

Plug in any flash drive? Explain please?

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I would rather the full aluminum body than a SD card slot and a Samsung plastic battery cover... 32 GB is plenty for me anyway.

I have a full aluminum body with an aluminum back cover. On my J One. Just saying, SD card slot doesn't automatically imply a plastic door.. I'm impartial to the inclusion of the SD card in the One, could live just as well without it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Plug in any flash drive? I don't understand.

- - - Updated - - -

Plug in any flash drive? Explain please?

USB OTG.

Get one of those adaptors and connect it to the microUSB port on your phone.

BAM! You can now use a USB drive, keyboard, mice, and even game controllers.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0739.jpg

Here's a picture to help you understand it better.

Last edited: