Rethinking HTC One

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I own an ATT HTC one. I love this device. Its the best phone I have owned since I started using smart phones. As of lately all the new Nexus 5 has got me kind of excited though. I like the idea of a 5 inch screen in a smaller body and all the other upgraded specs that are suppedd to be coming out with it. Since it will have LTE it sounds like the perfect device.

The device is fast, great battery life, terrific screen and speakers. One problem I have noticed since having the One since May is the button lay out. The updates don't really bother since 4.1 to 4.3 haven't been that much of a difference. If HTC would have kept the same button lay out as the DNA, I wouldn't even consider looking anywhere else. My question is that anyone else thinking of switching to the nexus 5 because the buttons?

Posted via Android Central App

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My first android was the Inc, followed by the Rezound, and now the One. I liked the four button design of the Inc and the Rezound. I wasn't too thrilled when they moved the volume rocker and turned the charging port over, but I adapted. Oh and the power button move. Both were great phones. When I saw the One, like you I was skeptical about the new layout. Charging port on the bottom, volume rocker in the middle of the side, and two buttons? It was a lot to transition to, and they moved the power button again? Even with a 50/50 chance I get it wrong like 60% of time. LOL. Plus blink feed, I hated the thought of that, I didn't want no Windows phone, but slowly I'm adapting. I've done what I can to disable BF, and I'm finding the volume rocker more and more often, and I found a setting that gives me three of my four buttons back, and as long as I'm not bouncing back and forth between this and my old device I even get the power button more often. I don't know why anyone would consider another device, unless they were a fan of another maker. Here is where I admit to being an HTC Fanboy. It's a great device and I personally wouldn't consider any other device, except for maybe the One Max. Maybe? If it's just the layout, I think you may just need to give it a little more time. I'll bet that you quickly learn the differences and maybe will even find it more appealing when doing certain tasks. If it's the functionality try playing with the settings. Try going to settings>display, gestures & buttons>home, and change to the swipe up for Google now, press and hold for menu option, and see if that improves your experience. I missed my in app menu button and this gave it back to me. My double tap is still a little rough, but I'm definitely getting it.

Last edited:

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am going to wait until the nexus is released to decide. I don't have the update to reconfigure the buttons because I'm ATT but I just really like the home button in the middle. I am right handed so when holding the phone I feel like I have twist my thumb to reach it or hold the phone with out a solid grip to push it.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I too came from a Rezound. Four button layout was cool. If you think about it, if you go to settings, gestures, and change home button option to press and hold for menu, the home button becomes four buttons in itself. 1. Press for Home. 2. Hold for menu. 3. Double tap for recent apps. 4. Slide up for Google Now.

I'm use to the power button and volume rocker now, by having the power button on the left, you have to grip the phone more to turn it on, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the button layout on the One. But I am coming from the Pantech Flex. The layout works better with my car setup.

The only thing that is annoying is the well known issue of the bottom buttons not lighting up the whole time the screen is in. I have to guess where the buttons are or put my fingers over the sensors at night to get them to come on. I'm hoping HTC or someone else comes out with a fix. It's my only major gripe.

Since in on AT&T's Next plan I can upgrade in a year if something spectacular cones out. But so far I am very satisfied with the One it's not too big and the hardware is more than up to par for my ussage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the button layout on the One. But I am coming from the Pantech Flex. The layout works better with my car setup.

The only thing that is annoying is the well known issue of the bottom buttons not lighting up the whole time the screen is in. I have to guess where the buttons are or put my fingers over the sensors at night to get them to come on. I'm hoping HTC or someone else comes out with a fix. It's my only major gripe.

Since in on AT&T's Next plan I can upgrade in a year if something spectacular cones out. But so far I am very satisfied with the One it's not too big and the hardware is more than up to par for my ussage.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but there is an application called soft buttons light that can enable your capacitive keys to stay lit while the screen is on. I have used it since I got the phone. The only problem is have had is that when it's enabled, you can't install apps from apk files. All you have to do with that problem is to temporarily turn-off the app.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Heard of the app, also heard it was a bit high. Maybe that's just the apk installations that you've mentioned.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if you are aware of it, but there is an application called soft buttons light that can enable your capacitive keys to stay lit while the screen is on. I have used it since I got the phone. The only problem is have had is that when it's enabled, you can't install apps from apk files. All you have to do with that problem is to temporarily turn-off the app.

soft buttons light questions.... downloaded however it does not seem to work for the HTC ONE.....any other apps like this-?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I was deceived by the 4mp when HTC revealed the specs,and now I am even more deceived with the purple tint issue.
Peter Chou had to stick with ''traditional'' cameras and adopt a 13mp lens.
Screen could have been larger if they narrowed the bezel left and right like the S4.
Full screen weather animation was a sexy feature of HTC,where did it goes? And no it doesn't slow down the OS

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
soft buttons light questions.... downloaded however it does not seem to work for the HTC ONE.....any other apps like this-?

I had to turn on brute mode and turn my One off and then back on. I've had no problems with it other than what I mentioned.

Also, last I checked... It was free.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87