I'm PISSED OFF; Somewhat With HTC!

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, I hadn't a clue that the Butterfly S was released to other countries but not to the United States of America!

Yes, I know this isn't a Butterfly forum... I get it, but I want to KNOW if I should keep my HTC One and get the Butterfly S (if it ever comes to U.S. Carriers - rumors say Sprint may be receiving it soon), or if I should wait for the HTC One Max instead, or wait for an upcoming release of the next best HTC flagship phone, if any, in early 2014?

The reason I'm pissed off is that the Butterfly S has a +1,000mAh battery (that's a HUGE difference compared to our 2300s). Sure, the Butterfly S will use more juice because of a larger screen and greater processors, but let's not forget that it can ALSO support up to 64GB of EXTERNAL STORAGE!

It pisses me off to know that for either reasons of contracts in place with Verizon for Droid DNA and Butterfly phone arrangements; or the lack of interest in other U.S. carriers wanting to adopt the model for lack of marketing; or whatever other reason, that this phone is NOT available to the U.S. market, at least not yet anyway.

Yes, I love my HTC One. But the storage is a big deal to me, as I constantly listen to seminars on my phone throughout the day (large video files) and I'm away from home for at least 10 hours every day, so 2300 is not quite enough... almost is.... and causes my phone to need to be discontinued from use throughout the day just to preserve power. And I don't like having to carry a charger on me and find a power outlet to recharge it. Yes, I know there's external USB chargers, but do I really want to carry more weight, spend more money on another device, and when conducting my studies while on NYC Subway and walking the streets carry another device in my hand or leave it in my pocket with a cord hanging out and inserted into my phone? I'm sure you get my drift.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Matthew Lyon

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
mlyon, I have to agree.

I'm researching my next device, and I thought I had finally found a device with all of the features I want. 5" screen, large battery, expandable memory, IR blaster (loved those since the PDA days), *no TouchWiz*, and it's kept overseas. :mad:

Even the unlocks are GSM-only, so no luck using one on VZ, even if I had the cash to drop upfront.

Looks like I'm still gonna be going with the Droid MAXX, even if it lacks the IR blaster and expandable memory. The Active Notifications, ginormous battery, and being built like a tank are enough to make me overlook what it lacks (expandable memory, IR blaster). The HTC One has the blaster, but the smaller screen and battery kill it for me. If VZ had the 64GB model, it would probably tip the scales in it's direction.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ummm....why? Did the OP make the decision not to release the Butterfly S in the US? I don't get your reasoning...

Because he Purchased a phone Knowing he needed more storage for his work..... we all know a better phone is always right around the corner. why is it HTC fault that no us company has yet to Pick up the butterfly s.... or why is it HTC fault that he purchased the HTC ONE??

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because he Purchased a phone Knowing he needed more storage for his work..... we all know a better phone is always right around the corner. why is it HTC fault that no us company has yet to Pick up the butterfly s.... or why is it HTC fault that he purchased the HTC ONE??

If we all sit and wait for our perfect phone, we'll never end up owning one. Eventually we have to roll the dice on some device or another, and sometimes it doesn't work out.

But I think we can agree that it's frustrating to buy a phone that you think will suit your needs, only for another to appear right after that would have been ideal. Even worse is finding out that the device exists, but is unavailable for one reason or another.

I can definitely understand being frustrated with HTC for creating such a great device, but making it unable to function on many carriers through lack of band support, or with the carriers for not working with HTC to get it supported, or HTC again, for not giving the One the same desirable features.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
but wait.... the HTC ONE is 32g or 64g no battery pull no sd storage. we know the 3 shortcomings. the OP must have known also. yet he purchased and is now pissed off at HTC because China has a better(for his needs phone).... sorry I truley don't understand why he is pissed off at HTC and not himself.

OP good luck....

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you bought a phone that doesn't suit your needs and now you are pissed off about it.

By your logic all S4 owners should be pissed off because the note 3 is coming out and it has a better processor and a higher capacity battery.

It also doesn't help that you are on Verizon where the only device choices are what they provide.

I would recommend switching to AT&T or T-Mobile where you have the ability to use international gsm unlocked phones. The best decision I ever made was getting away from cdma.

Sent from my white Moto X

Xader

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Frustrating not really . Before I purchased the one I did my due dilegence

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

So you're saying that because you weren't frustrated, that the OP can't be. Well, I'm glad you're around to let us all know what we should think and feel.

And I'm sure the OP did his(or her?) due diligence about what was, and would soon be, available. The problem is finding out about a device that would suit him perfectly (or as near as to make no difference), and it isn't and won't be available. I know that I'm frustrated about it because it would suit my need nearly perfectly as well, and I haven't even dropped the hammer on a new device yet.

By your logic all S4 owners should be pissed off because the note 3 is coming out and it has a better processor and a higher capacity battery.

That analogy would only work if Samsung developed the Note 3 and didn't release it in N. America

I would recommend switching to AT&T or T-Mobile where you have the ability to use international gsm unlocked phones. The best decision I ever made was getting away from cdma.

If only that was an option for a lot of us.

Where I live, Verizon is the only one with decent coverage and speed. Something similar will be true for just about anyone living in rural areas (20% of the US population as of 2010 per the US Census Bureau).

That also lends to the issue of possibly not being compatible with 4G/LTE bands used by N. American carriers (see LindtChocolate's post above).

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure.. The battery i could slightly agree on but the storage? It was widely known no external storage.. So buying it and then getting mad about that.. Doesn't seem logical.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it's frustrating that certain phones don't make it our way.

But honestly, when we roll the dice on a phone, by then we already know it's shortcomings and strong points.

We make the best with our decision.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
WOW!!!! I'M ORDERING IT!!!

I was almost ready to order an external battery from iAnker, but I'm certainly glad I read this thread. Thanks!

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
This thread is old, and I no longer have complaints about my HTC One.

As Xader said, I wasn't aware of the Butterfly S. If I were, prior to my purchase of the HTC One, I would have special ordered it from overseas and has it unlocked. No, I would not order the Samsung Galaxy S4 (as we know it supports external storage) because I personally have never liked the Galaxy models. They have had many issues in the past with call-dropping, lagging, etc. And I knew that HTC One is superior to the quality of the Galaxy S3/S4 models.

Also, my carrier is Sprint, not Verizon.

I accepted that the battery couldn't have been +500mAh more or so, but now I've found solutions for it.

As far as the internal storage, Sprint only sells the 32GB model (64GB not available with my company). So to correct this, I converted all my audio/video to listen on-the-go to lower format and resolution to reduce size. This has helped dramatically to free internal storage and to fit more data.

At this point, and this being an older thread, I don't have anymore complaints about my HTC One. I've learned to truly appreciate and love it... even though I'm in the process of upgrading it with an external battery and recompiling data to use less space. It's sort of like marrying someone with who you want them to be in mind, then paying for plastic surgery and a personality change to get them to be the way you want them to be. So, okay... that's a contradiction. Let me rephrase what I said: I love my HTC One, but only after its upgrades are complete. There you go.

But let's be real... life is never fair. Then we die in the end.

Thank you all.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
HTC told everyone that the USA would play second fiddle to the rest of the world! HTC makes the best phones, they are priced cheaper than Samsung phones, but people in the US would rather buy cheaply made plastic lag machines, that cost more!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
No, not really!

I'm a first time Samsung phone buyer and I'm very happy with my GS4.

In my line of work I need protection for my phones, so whatever the material I gotta have a case.

I chose this phone because I figured it was the best phone for me!

There's no best phone 100% out there. Only the best (or close to) for our needs and purpose.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!