Any Samsung-only features I would miss by switching to the HTC One?

mrBMando

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm an Android convert, fresh from iphone. I'm still within my 14 day return period on a Galaxy S3 and am considering a switch to the HTC One. I'm wondering if there are any features built into the Samsung devices that I will be missing out on by switching. My wife is getting a Note II today, and I know there are some content transfer features available since both phones are Samsung.

I'm mainly interested in moving photos, videos, docs, etc from my phone to hers or vice versa. I'm also interested in the ability to instantly send pictures or video to my TV. I don't own a Samsung TV but have sent pictures to my TV while the Xbox is on (by accident).

I realize these are pretty dumb questions, but as I mentioned, I'm very new to Android. Also, can the Samsung apps be used on other phones? I haven't even explored them and don't know whether they're useful or bloatware..

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Get that S3 out of your hands this instant!! It might leak something out of your speaker grill!!

Seriously though, going from the S3 to the ONE is a night and day difference. I know cause I had the S3 for a year, traded for the S4 at Best Buy, gave the S4 to my daughter and got me the ONE. There's nothing on the S3 that you will miss. There are features however on the S4 that "some" people would miss such as not touching the screen to scroll and etc. Most are just gimmicks. I'm not quite sure if you can use NFC to transfer from a Samsung phone to a different phone and vise-versa but you can use wifi-direct to accomplish the same thing from phone to phone...or phone to TV if your TV is wifi capable. I have a Samsung smart TV so I can't speak for other brands. But if you were able to send pictures from the S3 to your xbox, you would be able to with the ONE as well. And no, most Samsung apps are Samsung specific....especially the ones already on the phone. There are however some Samsung apps in the play store that might help you.

rschauby

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
S3 is a 2012 phone. The One is a 2013 phone. There is absolutely no reason to keep an S3 over a One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

knightblaze

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Sense 5 is far better and more intuitive than touchwiz, I came from a Samsung Galaxy S3 a little over a week ago and this is just so much better.

The only thing I miss and its very minor is palm swipe to capture a screenshot, but the power plus home key combo is just as good and iPhone esque

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a Note 2 and recently switched over to the HTC one and like everyone else said, there aren't that many TouchWiz specific stuff that you'll miss besides the "gimmicky" things (e.g. smart scroll, smart stay, etc.) that most people turn off anyways. However, I will say that sometimes TW makes a lot more sense than Sense (hah!). Everyone has their own opinions and so you should take this with a grain of salt, but little quirks like BlinkFeed taking up a whole window got on my nerves (and still does) especially as it seems that Sense limits me to 5 windows maximum. The contacts list on TW also seems to have a more intuitive layout with the swiping left or right to message or call directly from the list. I also have other little gripes like the notification light being rather weak and also timing out after 5 minutes, being unable to adjust the strength of the vibration, being unable to adjust ringer and notification volumes separately, etc.

Now don't get me wrong... the HTC One is a fantastic device that looks sexy and feels great. Sense is a well-designed, unobtrusive, and relatively intuitive UI that works well for the device... but it's the little details that leaves me wishing that HTC spent a little more time fine-tuning it. Obviously, if you're planning on rooting and flashing custom ROMs then none of these little niggles should be an issue for you but stock device to stock device, Samsung's TW felt a bit less restrictive in terms of customizibility. I'm still within my 14-day return period so I'm considering exchanging my One for the LG G2, but with the Note 3 release just around the corner, I may just keep the One as a backup phone and return to TW with the Note 3.

Edit: After re-reading some of the other comments in this thread it seems that I am certainly in the minority regarding experiences with TW vs Sense. FWIW I am most definitely not a power user (my Note 2 averaged anywhere from 2-3 days on a charge while my One averages ~1d 13h) so you should definitely factor that into my less-than-stellar experience with Sense and the HTC One.

Last edited:

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Well if you had the S4 I would tell the Weather sensor as I love everything related to weather.
The 13mp camera too as HTC deceived me with the purple issue on my One

mrBMando

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Multi windows. Use it constantly. Can't see myself without it.

Sent from my SPH-L710
I was just coming to ask about this.. I'm amazed that this isn't a bigger deal to people..? Again, being new to Android, I figured this was an Android thing that was basically on all the phones. It is indeed quite useful. I don't know whether I would want to go without that on the HTC..

Thanks for the replies!!

knightblaze

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I was just coming to ask about this.. I'm amazed that this isn't a bigger deal to people..? Again, being new to Android, I figured this was an Android thing that was basically on all the phones. It is indeed quite useful. I don't know whether I would want to go without that on the HTC..

Thanks for the replies!!

The issue with multi window was the lack of apps that supported it. Granted it only just recently became available, but it was a handful of truly useful apps of many I use that benefited from it or even supported it.

So while I see the promise in it, I don't see the big deal about it, and also the annoying tab that gets in the way of everything even if you move it ,which leads to disabling it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

tyhart44

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't anyone miss the ability to pause and resume video recording? I used that feature all the time for recording my kids' sporting events.

I also miss the ability to adjust vibration intensity, and native "do not disturb" a.k.a. blocking mode. Other than that, i am not really missing anything after a few days of use. This is a damn nice phone.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk