HTC One: After 4.3 Update Proximity Sensor Issue

socacola

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that after the 4.3 update, aside from my message app not displaying contact pics anymore, is the proximity sensor seems not to work properly anymore. I've noticed prior to the update the phone worked flawlessly, where the screen will turn off when near the ear during calls and turned back on right away when I took it away from my face just a little. Now it seems that the screen stays turned off for a longer period of time when taking it away from my face, I have to hit the power button to turn the screen on and sometimes multiple times. I never dropped my phone once, and everything worked great before the 4.3 update, and my phone was never rooted with a custom rom it was all stock. Is anyone else having these issues? I don't know how HTC screwed this up so badly, I thought 4.3 was supposed to resolve bugs, instead it made making phone calls the most annoying aspect of the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: After 4.3 Update Proximity Sensor Issue

I've noticed this with the proximity sensor as well. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does I have to tap the power button to bring it back.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Yup, my screen tienda off as soon as I start the motion to place the phone to my ear, and it might take a few seconds to turn on after I move it away.

Posted via Android Central App

Buffster5505

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Mine too ... but it does'nt turn back on no matter what I do. So i installed Proximity Screen Off Lite ( or Pro for those who want more options ) and use the Light sensor instead of Proximity sensor. Works great. Until HTC works out the kinks in 4.3 I'll do anything to keep my phone running well.

B

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I don't have this issue, either. In fact, I've changed Auto Screen On to using the proximity sensor instead of the G sensor, and it's working beautifully.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I don't have this issue either...but the signal bars being at 0 to 1 till I make a call and the bottom lights always being on when using Daydreams is a major annoyance.

Last edited:

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Don't have the issue using 4.3 on ARHD 21.0.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

phil778

May 24, 2013
Visit site

I have this problem, but mine also stayed on when put up to my ear and my face sent someone a text with a dozen smiley faces. And my contact pictures don't show in the message app either. Also, all the Sense animations seem stuttery, Battery Widget Reborn doesn't update the graph after it is fully charged and bluetooth seems a little messed up.

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I had this problem on my Sprint One before the 4.3 update. During phone calls the screen stayed black when I took it away from my face to press a button or to turn on the speakerphone, I had to press the power button to get the screen to turn back on.

I also found it a pain while listening to voicemails. I usually like to listen to voicemails on speakerphone where as soon as you hit play, the screen goes black and you cant hit any of the buttons. When you press the power button to try and turn the phone back on, its stops playing your voicemail.

Jim Duff

May 30, 2010
Visit site

My wife and I each have the problem since the upgrade to 4.3 Thanks for the suggestion about this program and using the Light Sensor; it's working for me!

Mine too ... but it does'nt turn back on no matter what I do. So i installed Proximity Screen Off Lite ( or Pro for those who want more options ) and use the Light sensor instead of Proximity sensor. Works great. Until HTC works out the kinks in 4.3 I'll do anything to keep my phone running well.

B

smartmove

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I too have found my HTC One proxmity sensor is not working properly since the 4.3 update. I did a factory reset and it appeared to fix it for a few days but the issue returned. Currently the phone is pretty impossible to use to make calls as just having the phone near my head causes buttons on the screen to get activated due to the screen not switching off. Very very frustrated as prior to this update everything was working perfectly.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Did you run diagnostics on the P-sensor? Try this:
HTC One diagnostics

Open the stock phone dialer and enter *#*#3424#*#* to reach the diagnostic tool.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

smartmove

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Yes, ran the test and it passed. Just doesn't work for real when I try to make a call. Can't find any settings relevant to this functionality so really not sure.

Did you run diagnostics on the P-sensor? Try this:
HTC One diagnostics

Open the stock phone dialer and enter *#*#3424#*#* to reach the diagnostic tool.

bbinder

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Strange. If it works in diag then not sure why it won't work on calls. I can call my wife's cell and hold it away from my mouth and use my fingers to perform the tests and they work great. That would suck :(

smartmove

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

It does seem to be intermittent. Sometimes it does kill the screen off but more often than not the screen is on during the call and buttons are getting pressed, screen is rotating etc.. I know when it's going to play up because when I make or answer the call the speaker phone is on by default.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss