[Q] Why am I having so much trouble using Titanium Backup Pro to restore my apps + data?

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

So I've been trying to update to a new ROM from TrickDroid 8.0.0 for quite a while now but every time I flash a new ROM I run into trouble using TiBu to restore all of my old data. Really all I want is to be able to transfer over all of my saved game data (if I have to go through the beginning levels of Angry Birds one more time...), SMS/MMS/Call logs, photo gallery, and user settings and login information across all of my installed apps (I don't want to have to re-login to Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, Youtube, all of my news-aggregation apps (ie. Appy Geek, News Republic), etc.).

As far as I'm concerned that is information that I absolutely must be able to transfer over - not because re-doing everything every couple months would be too much of a hassle, but if I start flashing ROMs more regularly (which I would like to do) then it would become too much of a hassle to start over every single time.

Anyway, nothing I try in TiBu seems to actually work. Every batch restore action I try always freezes on the first data element, no matter what it happens to be. So it seems that it doesn't matter what I'm trying to restore, the process always freezes immediately on the first app (in the past ten minutes I've unchecked Flashlight, Zeebox, and now Dashclock SMS Extension is freezing on me). Currently I am running PA 3.99 on Android 4.3 (which I love - I may not be able to go back to TrickDroid 8 now, data transfer or not!). I have encountered virtually the exact same problems on ARHD 22.0 and TrickDroid 11.0.

Is the solution simply that I should just go through and manually check off which apps I want to restore, as opposed to letting batch restore do its thing?

I would greatly appreciate your help as this problem is one significant barrier keeping me from being a more active participant in flashing/updating ROMs.

Thank you!

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I should note that I have "migrate system data" checked. Something I just noticed, though, is when I start TiBu I get a toast notification on the bottom that says something along the lines of "the directory /storage/emulated/0/titaniumbackup" is not found/not working (i forget the language used in the notification). Anyway, I have no idea what that means because when I go into proferences and manually choose backup folder location, that exact directory appears, showing all of my backed up files with the message at the top of the window, "this is the current backup location". The only thing I can think of is that if I click the "detect!" button, I see another folder with the location "/storage/emulated/legacy/titaniumbackup". What does the /legacy/ directory mean? Should I be restoring from that location? Does /legacy/ refer to the old version of Android within which I made the backup? The backups were made on android 4.2.2 (on TrickDroid 8.0.0) and I want to restore them to PA 3.99 (Android 4.3). Could that be my issue?