On a scale of 1-10 what do these features do to your battery.

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I recently came from an s4 because the battery was horrible. I just got the HTC one and I love it. The problem is, I'm disabling a lot of things so I don't destroy my battery. On a scale of 1-10 1 being no effect and 10 being killing my battery, where do the following features rank

Having Google now on
Having a launcher
Having location services on
Having a lot of tiny apps like candy crush and evernote
Having a couple of big apps like shadow gun

And does disabling apps like att bloatware help the battery? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

strife5

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe that it is wise to disable as much att bloatware as you can as a lot if their services do run in the background. If the myatt app is important to you, you can still disable it and just use a bookmark or shortcut to the myatt mobile site. I have actually noticed a nice boost in batter life afterwards.

As for the others, I still use most everything else you mentioned so I can't speak for much of that. I do have all location services on, my photo uploads and blinkfeed only occur at home on WiFi, and I am not using a custom launcher...yet.

I can't give you a fair estimate of the actual hours I get on a single charge as I charge the device in the car to and from work.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I recently came from an s4 because the battery was horrible. I just got the HTC one and I love it. The problem is, I'm disabling a lot of things so I don't destroy my battery. On a scale of 1-10 1 being no effect and 10 being killing my battery, where do the following features rank

Having Google now on
Having a launcher

Google Now: Not in use - 1 In use - 3-5
Launcher: 1
Location Services: Usually 3/4 but a possible 10 if you have the battery drain bug that a lot of people seem to have
Apps: Running in the background or using?
Disabling bloatware might save battery if it's constantly running in the background so yes, possibly

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Google Now: Not in use - 1 In use - 3-5
Launcher: 1
Location Services: Usually 3/4 but a possible 10 if you have the battery drain bug that a lot of people seem to have
Apps: Running in the background or using?
Disabling bloatware might save battery if it's constantly running in the background so yes, possibly

What's the difference between background and using? I'm talking about tiny apps like games like doodle jump and such. How do I know if its a background app?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What's the difference between background and using? I'm talking about tiny apps like games like doodle jump and such. How do I know if its a background app?

By using I mean actually playing it. Background means you were playing it and you quit the game. If they're just installed and you're not using it whatsoever it doesn't waste any battery

snowdroid83

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Having Google now on
Having a launcher

Regarding Google now, if I have location reporting and google now on I get average 12-14 hours standby with 3 hours is screen on time. If I turn Google now and location reporting off, I get around 20 hours standby with on average 5 hours screen on time.

Nothing has made as big a difference to battery life as turning Google now off

Posted from the ONE

strife5

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Didn't charge the phone today and didn't use battery saver. Also another tip I found out that will help. Turn off auto brightness and handle it yourself with a toggle. While inside, I find the lowest brightness setting isn't that bad. Apparently the auto brightness setting uses the sensors constantly (makes sense), and uses more power/battery.

I hope this helps further.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381900846535.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381900846535.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 26

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Didn't charge the phone today and didn't use battery saver. Also another tip I found out that will help. Turn off auto brightness and handle it yourself with a toggle. While inside, I find the lowest brightness setting isn't that bad. Apparently the auto brightness setting uses the sensors constantly (makes sense), and uses more power/battery.

I hope this helps further.

I noticed that as well! Thanks!

Regulator

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Candy Crush really drains my battery because it also activates a Wakelock which keeps the screen from dimming. That ends up draining more battery than the app itself.I use GSam Battery Monitor to check my usage.

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Candy Crush really drains my battery because it also activates a Wakelock which keeps the screen from dimming. That ends up draining more battery than the app itself.I use GSam Battery Monitor to check my usage.

I never thought candy crush was had such an affect. Thanks for the app suggestion.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I got hooked on Clash of Clans a few days ago. Boy does that sucker drain the battery FAST, as in more than 20% in less than 8-10 minutes.

The power saver mode is a hit or miss for me. Some days it works like a charm saving power and others it's like screw you and get me a beer, no time for this battery saving shenanigans...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21