HTC One - Just received htc one replacement...

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I just received my htc one replacement because my original had a bad camera an was producing purple tint/haze issues in low light pictures. Well the replacement works flawlessly an has no signs of purple even in pitch dark like i was having (as well as a bunch of others). So while the phone now works perfect i do have a few cosmetic issues. My first One didnt have gaps or anything but this one has one on the top left corner of the aluminem speaker grille. Not much of a biggie cause i use a case but it is there. Second issue is screen light leaking im guessing. On the right side ,right of the home icon at the botton which is all black besides the icons, i can see light near the edge of the blacking trimming. Should i be worried an send the phone back for another replacement?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Just received htc one replacement...

I just received my htc one replacement because my original had a bad camera an was producing purple tint/haze issues in low light pictures. Well the replacement works flawlessly an has no signs of purple even in pitch dark like i was having (as well as a bunch of others). So while the phone now works perfect i do have a few cosmetic issues. My first One didnt have gaps or anything but this one has one on the top left corner of the aluminem speaker grille. Not much of a biggie cause i use a case but it is there. Second issue is screen light leaking im guessing. On the right side ,right of the home icon at the botton which is all black besides the icons, i can see light near the edge of the blacking trimming. Should i be worried an send the phone back for another replacement?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Backlight bleed isn't an uncommon issue.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Backlight bleed isn't an uncommon issue.

Oh ok cool. I mean it looks like backlight bleed. Its tiny but noticeable an i just hope its not a gap or something. I'll try an take a pic of it.

RicM211

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Yea, dont sweat it, the most important thing honestly is checking for dead pixels cause thats a pain in the **** and an eye sore. I second the fact that when I got my replacement (due to bad battery on my first) my purple haze went away. Which makes me believe it's more of a hardware issue not a software one. Hopefully they can alter some parts of the somewhere to help others. I'm happy with mine, glad I exchanged it cause my battery was my only downside.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Yea, dont sweat it, the most important thing honestly is checking for dead pixels cause thats a pain in the **** and an eye sore. I second the fact that when I got my replacement (due to bad battery on my first) my purple haze went away. Which makes me believe it's more of a hardware issue not a software one. Hopefully they can alter some parts of the somewhere to help others. I'm happy with mine, glad I exchanged it cause my battery was my only downside.

How do i check for dead pixels? Im still going to test out this replacement before i send it back an make sure the battery holds up like my first One. Yes definitely a hardware issue on this camera purple BS.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

How do i check for dead pixels? Im still going to test out this replacement before i send it back an make sure the battery holds up like my first One. Yes definitely a hardware issue on this camera purple BS.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry unless it really bothers you. It's not going to hurt the phone and you don't have to feed it but you said you use a case so it shouldn't be an issue. Check for dead pixels by either loading an all black wallpaper or by searching GPlay for dead pixel. I just did and a whole bunch popped up to choose from. I would check one of those out.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I wouldn't worry unless it really bothers you. It's not going to hurt the phone and you don't have to feed it but you said you use a case so it shouldn't be an issue. Check for dead pixels by either loading an all black wallpaper or by searching GPlay for dead pixel. I just did and a whole bunch popped up to choose from. I would check one of those out.

Yeah doesnt bother me much just hate knowing its there. Ok ill load up a black wallpaper an try it out for dead pixels. Heres something im noticing on the replacement One. When i awake it on the lock screen sometimes the bottom keys dont light up, depending how im holding the One. Why does this happened? i thought they lit up everytime the screen turned on or are they activated with how its held?

Last edited:

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't worry too much! I was on my third replacement because the first 2 had major cosmetic issues. Big scratches etc. When I called I demanded a replacement that had a serial number of HT 36 or higher. The most recent ones made did not have a lot of cosmetic issues. I was amazed when I recieved my 3rd replacement it was just made in August. HT 38. The same month I called for a replacement. It was new. And sent with original IMEI sticker. Pretty cool. But all works fine.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah doesnt bother me much just hate knowing its there. Ok ill load up a black wallpaper an try it out for dead pixels. Heres something im noticing on the replacement One. When i awake it on the lock screen sometimes the bottom keys dont light up, depending how im holding the One. Why does this happened? i thought they lit up everytime the screen turned on or are they activated with how its held?

I forgot to mention also to load an all white wallpaper as well. Black will show stuck pixels and white will show dead pixels. Stuck pixels can be any of the these four colors Red, Green, Blue, and white.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much! I was on my third replacement because the first 2 had major cosmetic issues. Big scratches etc. When I called I demanded a replacement that had a serial number of HT 36 or higher. The most recent ones made did not have a lot of cosmetic issues. I was amazed when I recieved my 3rd replacement it was just made in August. HT 38. The same month I called for a replacement. It was new. And sent with original IMEI sticker. Pretty cool. But all works fine.

Yeah my original is a HT36 an had the camera issues and this replacement is a HT39 an shows July 5th. The replacement has the IMEI sticker on it as well so i guess thats good? How are your soft keys? Do they stay lit up all the time? Mine dont turn on unless held a certain way if i awake it. Once i unlock it they stay on until screen turns off. The original the keys would turn off. Not sure which was normal now =(

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my original is a HT36 an had the camera issues and this replacement is a HT39 an shows July 5th. The replacement has the IMEI sticker on it as well so i guess thats good? How are your soft keys? Do they stay lit up all the time? Mine dont turn on unless held a certain way if i awake it. Once i unlock it they stay on until screen turns off. The original the keys would turn off. Not sure which was normal now =(

My soft keys are not very sensitive. Sometimes they light up in a dark room and sometimes they don't. Even in the same room. The light sensors and proximity sensors have been an ongoing software issue. Do they stay on even in a bright room? They should go out.. What version android you on? I'm updated to 4.3. There is an app in Google Play Store you can download to test the light sensor and everything else. I'll get the name for you.. It's called Android Sensor Box. Great app to test your light sensor in different rooms . Etc. Try it next to a light bulb..

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I forgot to mention also to load an all white wallpaper as well. Black will show stuck pixels and white will show dead pixels. Stuck pixels can be any of the these four colors Red, Green, Blue, and white.

Ok i tried the black an didnt see anything on the screen. Same as the white wall paper,nothing on screen. So im good to go?

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
My soft keys are not very sensitive. Sometimes they light up in a dark room and sometimes they don't. Even in the same room. The light sensors and proximity sensors have been an ongoing software issue. Do they stay on even in a bright room? They should go out.. What version android you on? I'm updated to 4.3. There is an app in Google Play Store you can download to test the light sensor and everything else. I'll get the name for you.. It's called Android Sensor Box. Great app to test your light sensor in different rooms . Etc. Try it next to a light bulb..

Ok just did a test with the original an the replacement One with lighting like you mentioned to put them by. Im on 4.3 and on the original they would go off if i was in the texting app otherwise they will just stay on. I put them in front of a laptop (bright screen by the way) an the original soft keys never turned off. They replacement turned off on the softkeys within 2 seconds an i moved it back to a dark indirect light area an they turned back on. So replacement One seems to be the better working unit?? I'll still get that app you suggested an give it a test drive.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Ok i tried the black an didnt see anything on the screen. Same as the white wall paper,nothing on screen. So im good to go?

Your fine! No dead pixels. Now try the Android Sensor Box app and try that out.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Your fine! No dead pixels. Now try the Android Sensor Box app and try that out.

Alright will do! By the way you think using a black permanent mark will block the view of the light coming in from the small crack area right of the home key? I took a pic but dont know how to upload on here

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Alright will do! By the way you think using a black permanent mark will block the view of the light coming in from the small crack area right of the home key? I took a pic but dont know how to upload on here
You Could try that. But might make it worse because you know it's there. Is it coming through the black area around the home button , or above the black strip where the screen starts? Also to upload a picture in Gallery while typing a post to the right of the discard button is a camera icon. Click on it. It will give you a choice to upload or take a picture..

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, you might want to try the self diagnosis tool to check for dead pixels.

Go to the phone dial pad and dial in *#*#3424#*#* to start it.

I got the purple camera issue after about 2 months with my phone. I'm on the fence about sending it in because I don't live in the U.S. and HTC has no oficial presence in my country. How long does it take to receive a replacement?

***Edit***
The diagnosis tool doesn't have a screen test, guess I remembered the Samsung test tool from my Galaxy S3 days.

Posted via Android Central App

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

You Could try that. But might make it worse because you know it's there. Is it coming through the black area around the home button , or above the black strip where the screen starts? Also to upload a picture in Gallery while typing a post to the right of the discard button is a camera icon. Click on it. It will give you a choice to upload or take a picture..

Its in that same black strip of the softkeys but to the right of the home key near the edge of the phone where the black strip ends.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Its in that same black strip of the softkeys but to the right of the home key near the edge of the phone where the black strip ends.

You Could try touching it up with a marker. Might work. I remember having an HTC Rezound when I was with Verizon. Had same issue. Looked like they missed a spot on the black. Light coming through. I would try a permanent black marker. Just dab it small. Then put a screen protector on the phone. Not sure how the marker will hold up on a glass surface.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2