Camera issue killing the phone for me

ColdIronKing

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
So I just recently converted to android with the ONE being my first android phone. And I love it. Besides not being able to use certain headphones due to a skipping issue I havent haven't had any problems and I love the phone.

Everything except the god awful camera. It is basically unuseable. Every single photo is blurry or fuzzy. It can't find focus to save it's life. Every photo is washed out and over exposed or under exposed. I can count on one hand how many quality photos of has taken for me. I don't know if I can live the next two years without a camera on my phone. I can't believe the camera is this bad when they claim it's epic and everyone else seems to love it. I thought I might have a Lemmon but to me the photos just look like crappy 4mp cameras with bad processing and auto settings. Am I going crazy or is the camera just this bad and nobody seems to care.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
You might have a lemon, but it might also just be the camera. I find the camera is more finicky then many others. My old iphone 4 took more consistent photos, but didn't fare very well in extreme situations (low light, action shots, etc). On the other hand sometimes my HTC One works really well in those situations, but other times it really seems to **** the bed (sometimes in back to back pictures). Focusing does seem to be an issue and in certain cases I find that if it's not finding focus then it's best to close the app then open it again and it's usually fine.

I've also found all of this a little disappointing because the camera was one of the reasons I picked the One and it hasn't been up to my expectations, although it also hasn't been critical issue for me either. My hope is that they just haven't quite figured out how to harness the power of the hardware and that it will get better with updates or third party apps.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
So I just recently converted to android with the ONE being my first android phone. And I love it. Besides not being able to use certain headphones due to a skipping issue I havent haven't had any problems and I love the phone.

Everything except the god awful camera. It is basically unuseable. Every single photo is blurry or fuzzy. It can't find focus to save it's life. Every photo is washed out and over exposed or under exposed. I can count on one hand how many quality photos of has taken for me. I don't know if I can live the next two years without a camera on my phone. I can't believe the camera is this bad when they claim it's epic and everyone else seems to love it. I thought I might have a Lemmon but to me the photos just look like crappy 4mp cameras with bad processing and auto settings. Am I going crazy or is the camera just this bad and nobody seems to care.

It is bad. I am totally underwhelmed by the camera. Could be worse than the HTC desire I had 3 years ago. Very disappointed to "upgrade" from a GS3, when the GS3 camera was superior in every way, imo.

ColdIronKing

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Glad I am not alone in this. I want to switch to the g2 but the phone itself doesn't seem as polished as the ONE. It really does suck that they can't really make ome phone that does it all. The iPhone is looking speaking because I know it will do it all but I refuse to go back to apple. So I really don't know what I am going to do.

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I will say that my camera has taken some spectacular shots, so I do believe that the potential is there and that it may just need some software tweaks. Also if your pictures have been uniformly awful then there might actually be a problem with your phone.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This camera is awful... Until you start taking Zoes and making video highlights. Your opinion will change greatly once you take advantage of this.

One thing that I like about this 4MP camera is that all the uploads to Google+ don't take any of your available space because the resolution is in range with their free storage policy.

Snapseed makes wonders as well, give it a try if you're not using it.

Posted via Android Central App

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I disagree completely. I have had 3 iPhones, Galaxy S3 and Note and my HTC camera is easily better than all of them. It takes superb pictures, is super-fast and has astonishing low-light ability. Combined with OIS, I just can't get enough of the camera, and always marvel how good it is, so I would say you must have a lemon to be honest. All I would say is that the glass on the back needs to be kept clean - it has a habit of easily getting greasy - but other than that it should be taking great photos.

Here's one I took the other day:

Last edited:

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had very good luck with my One camera. I've taken side-by-side shots with my DNA, and although my One photos don't fare as well if blown up, the color accuracy is much better, and the low-light pictures are simply astonishing. The only area I've found my One to struggle is in into-the-sun shots; flare tends to wash the photo out badly. Other than that, I'm completely happy with the camera on this phone.

Sent from my Highly Technically Capable DNA

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
This camera is awful... Until you start taking Zoes and making video highlights. Your opinion will change greatly once you take advantage of this.
I agree with this, kinda. I was really disappointed with the camera at first. My previous phone, an iPhone 4s, took far better pictures. I really got into highlights and using Zoes to build them, but in the end I flashed a Google Edition based ROM and am much happier. The camera isn't great, but the overall performance of the phone is fantastic. I've just gotten much more into my DSLR, which isn't a terrible thing.

izzi1024

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
The blue tint has ruined the lowlight images for me... Except the ones where the focus is on one particular object only then the surrounding won't have a tint.

tuco789

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I too am very disappointed with the purple tint on the low-light images I take indoors. It's terrible if I don't use flash (and I really don't want to). With flash the colors are usually ok.

Is everybody experiencing the same? Those who think the camera is fine, are you using the flash for your low-light images?

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
To blanket state your HTC One has a bad camera does make me wonder... not even a single 'fantastic' shot? My IPhone friends, upon seeing me scroll throgh my HTC One's gallery are jaw-dropped jealous at times.

It's difficult to give you advice without a clear statement on what your subject matter and lighting tend to be. even side-by-side examples of the One vs your old phone.

You can see the photos taken by others in this Forum's sticky section. If your camera can't match them it needs to be replaced. Which model you replace it with is up to you.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You can see the photos taken by others in this Forum's sticky section. If your camera can't match them it needs to be replaced. Which model you replace it with is up to you.
That isn't exactly accurate. Just because someone can take a decent picture or two doesn't mean everyone will be able to do the same.

It's well documented that the One's camera has strengths and weaknesses. It isn't the best camera in good lighting.

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the camera is only average at its best IMO. The whole 4ultrapixle thing fell flat to me. Yes, you can get the occasional great pic, and it does do we'll in low light situations, but more often than not the pictures are tragic. The phone does everything else so well though, I can forgive it :)

Posted via Nexus 7 Android Central App

lldsandsll

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The purple camera issue isn't a fluke, it's a widespread issue. HTC won't do anything to fix it. If they recall the phone, they'll sink the company. I'm stuck taking crappy pictures like this:

nl0cfBZ.jpg

I've had nothing by HTC phones for 10 years, and the same for my whole family, yet they won't help me. F*ck HTC.

Not withstanding the camera, I did love this phone at first, but it's drastically slowed down in performance. I even did a factory reset, and it didn't help. It seems like it's burning out on me. I've had it for 2 months. Also, compared to everyone else I know who has an HTC One, my screen is very yellow tinted, and my vibrate is super weak. HTC acknowledged my issues but said I'd have to send the phone in for repair at my expense, which will take 3 weeks. I can't be without a phone for 3 weeks. I'm finished with HTC.

RebeccaCool

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
From what I read on Drippler, HTC knows that this is an ongoing issue and they are working on a new update to fix the problem.

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone keep referring this to 4MP camera. Does anyone read the specs on the phone and understand 4 ultra pixels is equivalent to about 13mp on the s4 shooter.

Last edited:

lldsandsll

May 17, 2010
Visit site
From what I read on Drippler, HTC knows that this is an ongoing issue and they are working on a new update to fix the problem.

they promised a fix with 4.3. it's already been proven the issue is hardware. certain sensors are receiving heat from surrounding areas due to poor QC in sensor placement. it's impossible to fix. if you freeze your phone and shoot some pics, walla, it works properly.

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've never taken a bad picture with this phone. I get some people have tinting issues. I play with the saturated once in while but overall this is a cellphone. If you expect dslr quality buy a dslr. Think of the phones 2 years ago and compare those to the worst picture this phone takes. I have 1000 of pictures with this phone and printed them. 90% of them are awesome for a cellphone. Of course my camera blows it away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams