HTC One - Ear causing phone to switch to Airplane mode.

jamiechtcone

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so hello to everyone! FYI I'm downloading the 4.3 update (UK) just in case anybody hasn't got it yet.

Now when I speak on my phone my ear sometimes causes the phone to switch to airplane mode so I'm guessing this may be some kind of setting to turn the screen off when i pull my phone up although it does go off sometimes.

Any advice for a newby?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the screen isn't turning off during a call when you bring it up to your ear, that sounds like a proximity sensor problem. Do you have a screen protector or case on your phone? These can interfere with the sensor. Try using the phone without these items.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
While screen protectors can cause issues with the sensor usually they cause it to turn off and not come back on. They get dirty, soiled, gap at the edges or something gets under them then they think they are seeing dark all of the time causing the screen to go off immediately or not come back on once pulled away. The issue is more likely that your hair is stopping the sensor from seeing the dark or intermittently allowing light in allowing the screen to come on. Then you accidentally bump something that puts the phone in airplane mode. I'm not sure what in the phone app could cause this so it's my guess that you have a widget on your main screen to turn on airplane mode? If I'm right about either of these the two things you should try is brush your hair back from your ear before talking, if your hair style will allow this, and/or move or remove the widget from your home screen. The latter may mean that something else will open or happen in lieu of airplane mode being turned on, but it may not end your call. Also if you wanted to test this to see what exactly is happening, try making a call and simply cover the sensor with your thumb. If the phone goes dark you know it's working the way it should, and if it doesn't you will know your sensor is not working correctly. In this way also you can see if it is simply being on a call that is turning on your airplane mode. Either way if the screen doesn't go dark or it activates airplane mode you'll be able to take it into a center or activate your insurance.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what in the phone app could cause this so it's my guess that you have a widget on your main screen to turn on airplane mode?

If you pull down the notification tab, and manage to get to the are with all the switches you can easily set it to airplane-mode. I've done this several times myself, last time was just a few hours ago. I have no hair on my head, or any form of screen protector/case on so that can't be the (only) reason.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If you pull down the notification tab, and manage to get to the are with all the switches you can easily set it to airplane-mode. I've done this several times myself, last time was just a few hours ago. I have no hair on my head, or any form of screen protector/case on so that can't be the (only) reason.

Are you having the same issue as the OP? In that case I would say it's all about the placement of the phone when you're talking. Plus looking at the device a screen protector wouldn't cover the sensor on this phone anyway. Have you tried the test to see if your sensor is working correctly? I hadn't considered the notification bar being pulled only because you have to move it quite a bit to open the drawer, and then yes it wouldn't take much to change over and hit the airplane button. I thought in one of these threads I read that those buttons can be changed or rearranged. That could be an option too. If it can be done.

Aquamoth

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I too have this problem, being a left-ear speaker. It seems to be fairly common too!
The best work-around Ive seen is to press the powerbutton after commencing the call to enter the lock-screen. After that the ear cant press anything. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34