Problem in setting in-app (email, whatsapp) vibration mode

Raimondo Cusmano

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the following issue: With the in-app settings set on "vibrate" when I select the "sound on" mode on the phone, the One will sound AND vibrate with incoming Emails (stock, not Gmail) and Whatsapp messages. With the in-app settings set on "do not vibrate" when I select the "vibration" mode on the phone it won't vibrate at all with Emails and Whatsapp. Is this a bug? Or is there a way to set ONLY sound notifications when "sound on" mode is selected on the phone and vibration notifications, and NOT silent ones, when "vibration" mode is selected? Am I missing something? Thanks to anyone with an answer.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the following issue: With the in-app settings set on "vibrate" when I select the "sound on" mode on the phone, the One will sound AND vibrate with incoming Emails (stock, not Gmail) and Whatsapp messages. With the in-app settings set on "do not vibrate" when I select the "vibration" mode on the phone it won't vibrate at all with Emails and Whatsapp. Is this a bug? Or is there a way to set ONLY sound notifications when "sound on" mode is selected on the phone and vibration notifications, and NOT silent ones, when "vibration" mode is selected? Am I missing something? Thanks to anyone with an answer.
I don't think I fully understand your question, but when I have my phone on Vibrate and have the 'vibration' setting turned off in Whatsapp, my phone doesn't vibrate when I get a message. I think that's how it's supposed to be, not a bug. If you have your phone on Vibrate, your phone will only vibrate without making any sound, when you receive a notification.

Raimondo Cusmano

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll make it simple, step by step:

1. I enter the stock email app, select settings in the menu bar, select notification settings, uncheck "vibration", exit the email app. Next I hit the volume rocker and select "vibration". The phone won't vibrate with incoming emails. Then I hit the volume rocker and select "sound". The phone will play the notification sound.
2. I enter the stock email app, select settings in the menu bar, select notification settings, CHECK "vibration", exit the email app. Next I hit the volume rocker and select "vibration". This way the phone WILL vibrate with incoming emails. Then I hit the volume rocker and select "sound". The phone will play the notification sound AND vibrate.

All good. Now what I want is the phone to play JUST notification sounds and NOT vibrate when I select "sound" with the rocker. And I want the phone to JUST vibrate notifications when I select "vibrate" with the rocker. But apparently this isn't possibile with the stock email app: it always vibrates (if you check "vibration" in-app, whatever "sound" or "vibration" you select with the rocker) or never (if you uncheck "vibration" in-app, whatever "sound" or "vibration" you select with the rocker). All this doesn't happen with the text messaging app. I.e. I uncheck the "vibration" in-app, still when I select "vibration" with the rocker the phone vibrates when I get an sms. Completely different, and correct, behaviour from the email app.

I hope I made myself clear. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
ok so if i understand correctly, you want the system settings for sound and vibration to take precedence over the in-app settings.

i was under the impression that they would - ie: if you enable both sound and vibrate within an app they would still be conditional to the system's settings.

in whatsapp you can select vibration to "default". by this i understand that it will only vibrate if the system settings are set up this way. naturally, it will become silent if you silence the phone regardless of sound notification.

as for the email - i have not tried this yet. i suspected that turning vibrate ON would imply it would support vibration if the phone was set to vibrate instead of forcing vibration regardless of the phone's settings. i believe this is what bothers you? in any case, if its the latter i don't think there is much you can do about it - it seems that by turning this on it will both vibrate with sound and without.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll make it simple, step by step:

1. I enter the stock email app, select settings in the menu bar, select notification settings, uncheck "vibration", exit the email app. Next I hit the volume rocker and select "vibration". The phone won't vibrate with incoming emails. Then I hit the volume rocker and select "sound". The phone will play the notification sound.
2. I enter the stock email app, select settings in the menu bar, select notification settings, CHECK "vibration", exit the email app. Next I hit the volume rocker and select "vibration". This way the phone WILL vibrate with incoming emails. Then I hit the volume rocker and select "sound". The phone will play the notification sound AND vibrate.

All good. Now what I want is the phone to play JUST notification sounds and NOT vibrate when I select "sound" with the rocker. And I want the phone to JUST vibrate notifications when I select "vibrate" with the rocker. But apparently this isn't possibile with the stock email app: it always vibrates (if you check "vibration" in-app, whatever "sound" or "vibration" you select with the rocker) or never (if you uncheck "vibration" in-app, whatever "sound" or "vibration" you select with the rocker). All this doesn't happen with the text messaging app. I.e. I uncheck the "vibration" in-app, still when I select "vibration" with the rocker the phone vibrates when I get an sms. Completely different, and correct, behaviour from the email app.

I hope I made myself clear. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

Hmm... yeah. I have the same issue with Whatsapp. You can either turn Off vibration or keep it On. You can't choose to have it vibrate in the phone's Vibrate mode and not in the Ringer mode. I would've liked that feature too.

Raimondo Cusmano

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your answers. I'm happy I made myself clear this time. Actually the only app I can't customize the vibration with is the stock email app, as you realized, either you set the vibration always on or always off in the in-app settings, and this forces the phone/system settings. I recently left my iPhone and I'm am so much happier with the One, because Android it's much more open and customizable, but this issue contradicts and is kind of annoying. However I can live with it.
At this point is there anyone who knows about well working apps that can customize sounds and vibration for each app? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy