Unlocked HTC One just received 4.4 update but no printing support

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I hope someone can answer this question. My first impression is HTC updated my phone with a huge update but didn't really change much on the phone. For example, as I understand, Android 4.4 introduces native platform support for printing, along with APIs for managing printing and adding new types of printer support. On Google Nexus phone "Printers" setting is found in the "Settings tab" after the 4.4 update. When I go to Setings on my phone, I can't find this setting to configure my printers. Does anyone know how to get this setting and configure a wireless printer on HTC One Android 4.4?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I hope someone can answer this question. My first impression is HTC updated my phone with a huge update but didn't really change much on the phone. For example, as I understand, Android 4.4 introduces native platform support for printing, along with APIs for managing printing and adding new types of printer support. On Google Nexus phone "Printers" setting is found in the "Settings tab" after the 4.4 update. When I go to Setings on my phone, I can't find this setting to configure my printers. Does anyone know how to get this setting and configure a wireless printer on HTC One Android 4.4?

I think there are two problems that you have.

First is, just what version of android do you have? If it is 4.3, then don't expect what you are looking for.

If by chance you do have an official 4.4 kitkat from HTC, then you are running into your next problem. What most people don't understand is that just because you now have an updated version of Android, doesn't mean that your phone that has a heavy launcher and rom is now going to add or change it's settings menu to match a "nexus" device.
What I mean is that while your HTC One may have kitkat, it still will have the same camera and all the same functions as before like zoes. You won't get a camera software switch to more like in the nexus 5. Also the way the home pages work and the app draw, other wise known as the launcher, will work the way HTC wants it to work and will be nothing like the kitkat launcher.

Any new feature or setting that was added in 4.4 may or may never come to a non nexus device. You still can do wireless printing with apps from the printer you want to use.

Posted via Android Central App

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately it was not included. Some of the 4.4 changes were Nexus specific or HTC chose not to implement them yet.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Didn't I mentioned in my post I had 4.4. In any case, Thanks guys! This was the reason I got rid of my crappy HTC build last night. I rooted, S-Off and now I am on stock GPE. Much happier with that. Thanks for all the replies.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
To be honest Sense is not at all crappy imho. I love it and prefer it over the very simple GPE interface.
But each one has his preferences.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
To be honest Sense is not at all crappy imho. I love it and prefer it over the very simple GPE interface.
But each one has his preferences.
I didn't mind it either but HTC updates are slow. HTC also missing few options from stock Android. Overall, I think GPE is faster and fewer clicks to do certain things.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't mind it either but HTC updates are slow. HTC also missing few options from stock Android. Overall, I think GPE is faster and fewer clicks to do certain things.

Slow to what? Compared to Google editions? Of course Nexus and the G4/One GPE versions will get the updates faster, they are vanilla editions.
HTC One has the fastest updates over every other Android phone the last year. Faster than LGs, Sonys and even Samsungs.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, last 4.3 took months and well behind Samsung. They released the update after Asia and Europe which is mind boggling to me. I can understand they were waiting on carriers to do their testing but I had the unlocked version. Why was I waiting? I paid extra to be factory unlocked but HTC could not update us with Asia and Europe?
That is why I like vanilla versions since they are light and yes, faster. I found HTC customer service to be really sucky too. I had made few contacts with them and each time these guys couldn't answer a simple question. Big waste of time. May be these things are not that important to some but to me they were a deal breaker. HTC did not take advantage of a fantastically designed phone with their software and customer service. That's too bad.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Slow to what? Compared to Google editions? Of course Nexus and the G4/One GPE versions will get the updates faster, they are vanilla editions.
HTC One has the fastest updates over every other Android phone the last year. Faster than LGs, Sonys and even Samsungs.

The update from 4.1 to 4.3 took 6 months from the time of release. That's 6 months without lock screen widget support, among other things. A major update if there ever was one.

The Sammy S4 on the other hand already had lock screen widget support appon release with a higher 4.2 Android. The 4.3 Update took 6 months from release. It is far from a major update so it offers little to no added benefits.

On stock roms I see kitkat offering little to nothing extra to most phones that are already out. At best you'll now have sense 5.5, if that makes you feel better.

Sofar HTC has done a good job with updating it's latest line ups. When HTC desires to update their 1 and 2 year old phones to 4.3 like Sammy did, then maybe we can talk about fast upgrades for HTC.... Till then, it's the same old same old.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, last 4.3 took months and well behind Samsung. They released the update after Asia and Europe which is mind boggling to me. I can understand they were waiting on carriers to do their testing but I had the unlocked version. Why was I waiting? I paid extra to be factory unlocked but HTC could not update us with Asia and Europe?
That is why I like vanilla versions since they are light and yes, faster. I found HTC customer service to be really sucky too. I had made few contacts with them and each time these guys couldn't answer a simple question. Big waste of time. May be these things are not that important to some but to me they were a deal breaker. HTC did not take advantage of a fantastically designed phone with their software and customer service. That's too bad.

What are you talking about? Samsung got the 4.3 later, HTC One International got 4.3 in the end of September as I remember.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/2...ed-u-s-editions-receiving-android-4-3-update/

We also got the 4.4 before any other non-Google device.

The update from 4.1 to 4.3 took 6 months from the time of release. That's 6 months without lock screen widget support, among other things. A major update if there ever was one.

The Sammy S4 on the other hand already had lock screen widget support appon release with a higher 4.2 Android. The 4.3 Update took 6 months from release. It is far from a major update so it offers little to no added benefits.

On stock roms I see kitkat offering little to nothing extra to most phones that are already out. At best you'll now have sense 5.5, if that makes you feel better.

Sofar HTC has done a good job with updating it's latest line ups. When HTC desires to update their 1 and 2 year old phones to 4.3 like Sammy did, then maybe we can talk about fast upgrades for HTC.... Till then, it's the same old same old.

The 4.2.2 was omitted for the US variants as I remember and the update was to 4.3 immediately. Sorry but I don't see the big deal. The 5.5 Sense was a major update more important than going from 4.2.2 to 4.3.
Moreover the 4.3 update was a huge failure with Samsung having to take it back. I prefer to have a good update, than one full of problems. I don't mind having to wait for a lockscreen widget instead of having an atrocious update.
There is no talk about 4.4 yet in Sammy, so yes HTC has given updates faster again.
We are talking about the HTC One, no about what happened in the past.

The support of older devices is indeed an issue, but an entirely different one. Complaining about the fast updates for the HTC One is not justified IMHO.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
What are you talking about? Samsung got the 4.3 later, HTC One International got 4.3 in the end of September as I remember.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/2...ed-u-s-editions-receiving-android-4-3-update/

We also got the 4.4 before any other non-Google device.

The 4.2.2 was omitted for the US variants as I remember and the update was to 4.3 immediately. Sorry but I don't see the big deal. The 5.5 Sense was a major update more important than going from 4.2.2 to 4.3.
Moreover the 4.3 update was a huge failure with Samsung having to take it back. I prefer to have a good update, than one full of problems. I don't mind having to wait for a lockscreen widget instead of having an atrocious update.
There is no talk about 4.4 yet in Sammy, so yes HTC has given updates faster again.
We are talking about the HTC One, no about what happened in the past.

The support of older devices is indeed an issue, but an entirely different one. Complaining about the fast updates for the HTC One is not justified IMHO.

I think that you are misunderstanding just what I said.

You are right, your unlocked developer phone did go to 4.3 late September, early October (depending on where you live). But that is still 6 months after the release of the phone.

But more importantly, you are a part of an extremely small segment of the HTC One population. The only smaller segment should be the GPA One.
My point is that you sound like just because you got an update, then everyone did as well, or that I'm in some way saying they are putting out updates slow... I'm not.

I'm saying that Samsung put out and distributed it's update and is now on all phones in the US (And most other countries), also just 6 or 7 months after it's release. (Ok, Verizon was a bit late, but also came out later)

As for the perfect updates, don't mock what you don't preach. HTC's updates have been questioned just in this forum countless times and seem to be no better. The difference is that I understand that while it may seem like EVERYONE in the whole world has the same bugs or issues, not everyone has a Galaxy S4 with a horrible 4.3 Update. Just like not everyone has that horrible purple cast in low light on the HTC one. I assumed that you understood that, my mistake.

The latest update from Sammy leaves allot to be desired by some I'm sure. I'm lucky. The worst for me is that AT&T removed my toggle for data... I'll cry me a river some other day. Rushed? Yes, I'm sure like many updates from all the OEMs. But dude, it's not as bad as you think.

Personally, I'm happy that I finally have 4.3 on my wife's HTC One. It might not be a big deal to you, but when she's happy, I'm happy. And she loves the toggles and lock screen widgets.
So let's not try to make it sound that it was OK that it took HTC 6 months to finally get it right.
Next, you can brag all you want about 4.4 but again, just what will it add other then a slight refresh of sense?

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
You are right, your unlocked developer phone did go to 4.3 late September, early October (depending on where you live). But that is still 6 months after the release of the phone.

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. It was one of the first phones to get the 4.3 update. It was not like there was 4.3 all around when the phone came out.
Google released Jelly Bean 4.3 on 24 July 2013 and the HTC one got it (not all the Ones) after two months. It's like telling me "You got KitKat almost a year after the release of the phone".
How could the One get 4.3 earlier, if it was not available yet?

Also have in mind that the US don't make up for the whole world, 4.2.2 came to European phones early on too.
I'm not in the US so I can't comment on the other variants you have there (I suppose you live in the US from your posts) but you got to have in mind that things in the US are largely carrier-dependent. I'm talking about unlocked phones.
So I can't understand the complains, which for me seem like "1st world problems". I can surely understand owners of One X and S that were left behind. These people have every right to complain, but complain for the lack of fast updates in the HTC One seems unjustified.

About the quality of the update, no my friend you are absolutely wrong. There are always problems with updates of course (many times because users try to fiddle with their devices) but there was no major issue with any of the HTC One updates and nothing can compare with the Sammy 4.3 fiasco. The 4.3 update for Galaxy S3 made the phones unable to use and they had to take it back. It's a huge difference.
The purple tint is a significant hardware problem, but the HTC One does not have problems with its software. On the other hand, we got a laggy Touchwiz with huge problems in the start and later on very bad updates.

I'm not bragging about anything and KitKat is not a version I like to be honest (I don't like the battery life and some other changes Google has made). I don't even care about minor updates as long my phone works fine. I'm replying to people that find "delays" in updates, when the One almost constantly is the first Android phone to get the latest versions. I'm just happy that my HTC One has the greatest out of the box experience in Android.

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sprint HTC One and I got the 4.3 update in mid to late September. Samsung started updating the Galaxy S4 to 4.3 in December. I'm a little lost here.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Loiter, I'm not surprised the you are confused. Since both of us have kind of talked about too many topics, and I hadn't been a clear as I would like, I'll try to keep my reply simple and only on topic...

My complaint is with your original reply to an American HTC One user...

Now I agree that HTC had plenty of updates for this phone, world wide. But here is a brief history explaining why I don't agree that they were "fast" or faster then LG, Samsung, or Sony.

First off unlike the Samsung and LG the HTC One came out with only 4.1. 2, while the Samsung galaxy s4 and the LG G pro already had Android 4.2. 2
If anything HTC had to now catch up to its current competitors in reaching Android 4.2.2 this took at least 3 months, or the end of June/first week of July before the vast majority saw 4.2.2 and thus caught up to it's current competition.
( but, not all HTC One phones for such an update)
Sadly unlike in Europe and the UK, the US phones on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Spirit, didn't. Now if we were talking about Uganda and a whole 3 phones not being updated to 4.2.2, I would agree with you and just say it's a shame. But we are talking about the US at a time when as many as 1.2 million HTC One phones out of 5 million sold never got this update. (numbers based on news from Android Central, phone arena and pocket lint of HTC One sales in the first two months.)

No offense, but we are not talking about maybe 5% of phones originally released. We are talking about 22% of the original released phones in one of the largest markets for HTC. Or again, 1.2 million HTC ones.

No matter how you look at it this was a huge blunder from HTC. Now we could blame the HTC for this if we want. Or we can blame the carriers. No matter what it doesn't look good for HTC. If it was HTC 's choice because they wanted to help sell this phone on the delayed launch on Verizon, the last major US carrier to get it, then this was a huge mistake for future sales as it was disrespectful to all who purchased early on other carriers... Including AT&T who had the exclusive of the 64gig model.
Now if it was the fault of the US carriers in question, then that means that HTC wasn't "strong enough" to force the carriers to upgrade thier phones. Sadly, both ways of looking at such a lack of upgrade doesn't bode well for the HTC One when it comes to upgrades.

But that is not all. While you may have been able to enjoy such a major update, us peeps here in the US had to wait for 4.3
Thus for 6 months, 22% of the originally released phones had to wait to see the updates to blinkfeed, the remapping of the home button, and the new UI. Let's also not forget that for people in the US (again, one of HTC's largest world wide markets) had to wait for such things as toggles in the notification shade and (here's a big one) lock screen widget support.
It's bad enough that HTC made the choice to not come out with 4.2.2, but to make people in the US wait for 6 months to have lock screen widgets on a 2013 phone is just silly.

So when you say that HTC is the fastest with updates, I have to sit and wonder just what you are smoking? If anything it took HTC 3 to 4 months just to release 4.2.2, and catch up to LG and Samsung. While also failing to deliver the 4.2.2 update to over a million users of their latest and greatest. This sounds fast to you? I have 1.2 million users who will disagree with you.

As for the fast update to 4.3, I agree it was fast. Even faster than Samsung and LG. But what in the world will 4.3 bring to the LG G PRO or the Galaxy S4 that such phones don't already have?
4.3 brings nothing extra to such phones so such a fast update on HTC's part is moot. If anything 4.3 now brings "all" of HTC One's up to par with its 2013 competitors in Android features.... 6 months after its release. 5 months after the S4 had such Android features, and 4 months after the G PRO had them.

So, while I agree that HTC is always quick with updates on its latest phones, I wouldn't brag that they are the quickest. If anything, they had to catch up on the beginning and it took them at least 6 months to fully catch up to the competition, feature wise.

As for your comments on the S4 and the S3, you are far from telling the whole story and blowing things way out of proportion. It's borderline fud.