Still can't play videos on the HTC one

nickyparkn

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've posted on here before about this, and still haven't resolved the issue. For whatever reason I cannot play ANY VIDEOS whatsoever on my phone. I'm talking Google play movies, Netflix, vine, YouTube, browser vids, etc. I exchanged my phone twice for the same reason, and its still happening. Verizon insisted they've never heard of this issue before, but there is no way I'm that unlucky to have gotten three defective phones. If you have ANY suggestions or knowledge of this problem I'd appreciate the help.

P.s. if you're going to suggest hard/soft resets, then save it. I've tried both, doesn't help

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know this must be dumb to you and probably have gone through this so many times, but please bear with me...I'm just trying to help.

1) Are there any errors popping up when you try to play a video? Any loading screens?
2) Is there any sound and no picture? Or are the videos just not playing)
3) From the post, I see you're trying to play streaming videos. Are you able to load videos (MP4) from file (saved in your phone)?
4) Have you tried this on WiFi with a decent speed? (This one I apologize for, but I must ask)

I'm sure three devices just cannot be defective (and if they are, dude, go buy some lotto tickets RIGHT NOW).

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Going along with the crowd on this one Spook asks some pretty good questions and Dave went the direction I was kind of headed.

My questions are;
Have you disabled anything in your apps?
Are you running a launcher other than Sense?
And not have you deleted Flash player but have you installed it? If not you can see how to here.
How to Get Adobe Flash Player on Any Android Device - UPDATED - YouTube
I know it's unsupported but it is still needed for many streaming web vids, and it must be enabled in the settings of some browsers.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You have given us no indication of your network conditions.
Run some speedtest and let us know what you get.
I was watching some movies at home on my ChromeCast that i rented from Google Play and at home with my Cable connection, 15megs down and 2 up, i ran into buffering issues 5 different times.
Thats just an example. But the second time it happened i stopped and ran some network tests and noticed i was having through put issues. Paused and waited it went away.

What you need to do first is find a wifi hotspot with plenty of bandwidth. Test thoroughly on that. If you get no issues then you can start to get a better understanding of how cellular congestion can mess up streaming.

nickyparkn

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I know this must be dumb to you and probably have gone through this so many times, but please bear with me...I'm just trying to help.

1) Are there any errors popping up when you try to play a video? Any loading screens?
2) Is there any sound and no picture? Or are the videos just not playing)
3) From the post, I see you're trying to play streaming videos. Are you able to load videos (MP4) from file (saved in your phone)?
4) Have you tried this on WiFi with a decent speed? (This one I apologize for, but I must ask)

I'm sure three devices just cannot be defective (and if they are, dude, go buy some lotto tickets RIGHT NOW).

Sorry for the late reply. But yes I've tried all that. Streaming movies AND saved movies are both not working. I bought two movies off the Google play store and installed them. Still nothing. When I close my apps completely. As in the force stop, and then restart the phone...nothing. no picture. No sound. I get error messages on Google play. Everything else just simply says "cannot/unable to play video" happens on Wi-Fi and 4g lte

nickyparkn

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You have given us no indication of your network conditions.
Run some speedtest and let us know what you get.
I was watching some movies at home on my ChromeCast that i rented from Google Play and at home with my Cable connection, 15megs down and 2 up, i ran into buffering issues 5 different times.
Thats just an example. But the second time it happened i stopped and ran some network tests and noticed i was having through put issues. Paused and waited it went away.

What you need to do first is find a wifi hotspot with plenty of bandwidth. Test thoroughly on that. If you get no issues then you can start to get a better understanding of how cellular congestion can mess up streaming.

Again sorry for the late reply. But I actually have really good connection speeds. 40 up 15 down on 4g lte. And 25 up 10 down on my home Wi-Fi. Even if it was the connection, that wouldn't explain the videos I have on my internal memory not working.

nickyparkn

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Can you download an app like MX Player and try to play the videos on your SD card? Does that work?

I downloaded the mx player a while back and still nothing. I've tried everything I can think of but to no avail. The best I can get is doing a soft reset and videos will work for about 3 minutes. But even then it's hit and miss. I need a permanent solution. Like I said what are the odds of getting three defective phones you know?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Still sounds like it's either a phone issue (and if it is, dude, talk about bad luck...you should go buy lotto tickets just in case) or something wrong with your account. Are you sure nothing is getting downloaded automatically from Google Play once you set up your account?

Try this. Since you're already going to reset the phone anyways, reset it, but DON'T LOG IN. Don't sync anything. Just skip the Google Account registration (don't worry, you'll reset it again). Use the phone like that for maybe a day? Half a day? A few hours? Just load one video on it (local file) and play. Try streaming one from the web. Then play the local file again. Rinse and repeat. With this, no account, does it still cease to play videos after a while? No? It's your account and something is going funny when you log in (my guess is some kind of rogue app that downloads with your Play Store sync). Now you can reset and try to figure out your account issue.

It still doesn't play videos after a while? OK, now try this. Re-reset. Skip registration and sync, but this time, ALSO disable WiFi and no SIM Card. (That's right, no data whatsoever). Now load a local movie. Play it. Play it. After the usual time it stops working, does it? Yes? It's the phone; get it replaced...again. No? Rset the phone. Try again. Fails? It's the phone again. No? Enable WiFi and try streaming video. Does it fail after a while? Yes? It's your phone downloading something when connected. No? Now try inserting the SIM. Same thing. Does it fail? Yes, it's the phone downloading something from the carrier. No, then it's definitely your account.

nickyparkn

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick update. Updated to 4.3 jelly bean and so far it's working. We'll see how long it holds up. If anything changes you'll probably see me post a new thread on here haha. Thanks for the help guys

zBaxter22

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the HTC one and ran into this problem yesterday. The problem seems to be that Google Play Movies cannot communicate with the device properly. Once you try to play anything in google play, your videos no longer work. In order to fix this go into your settings > Apps > swipe over to all. Now go through all of your apps that have anything to to with video; vine, youtube, Etc. and clear the cache on all of these apps (make sure you hit Google Play Movies and View Video). Next go to the Play Store and uninstall all updates to Google Play Movies, then reinstall. After all of this do a simulated battery pull (volume down + lock) and that should do the trick, worked for me anyways. I tried going into Play Movies again and had to repeat the process. Hope this works for you too!

mollymook

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
zBaxter22- you are a champion! Did as you suggested and my problem was resolved. Can now watch all videos on my HTC One where before I couldn't see any. Thanks!

nicksparkyjones

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the HTC one and ran into this problem yesterday. The problem seems to be that Google Play Movies cannot communicate with the device properly. Once you try to play anything in google play, your videos no longer work. In order to fix this go into your settings > Apps > swipe over to all. Now go through all of your apps that have anything to to with video; vine, youtube, Etc. and clear the cache on all of these apps (make sure you hit Google Play Movies and View Video). Next go to the Play Store and uninstall all updates to Google Play Movies, then reinstall. After all of this do a simulated battery pull (volume down + lock) and that should do the trick, worked for me anyways. I tried going into Play Movies again and had to repeat the process. Hope this works for you too!

I had the same problem happen on my HTC overnight without making any changes except trying to open a video on YouTube last night . Followed this advice - settings, apps and cleared all data for google
Play - didn't need to do anything further. All videos and video camera now work on my phone again. Thanks Zbaxter22!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo