Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By Troneas
  • 1 Post By Troneas
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Flashed A Nightly and My Phone Died of Heat!

Hello everyone, so yes I tried flashing a nightly Cyanogen Mod 11 on my HTCone everything was fine until I saw that the battery would deplete in minutes and it was very very very hot!
    I leave it charging and the next day I go to school after 10 to 15 minutes my phone is at 70% and I was just listening to music. When I get to school I notice it's very hot so I turned it off, still after I turn it off it's still very hot. Later on I try to show something to a friend and it just turns on and then off, I tried a couple of times and nothing I left it off then it wouldn't even turn on anymore and the phone wouldn't notice there's a charger. Couldn't turn it on ever since I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this problem thanks in advance .

Default Re: Flashed A Nightly and My Phone Died of Heat!

That is one draw back to playing with Nightlies. You subject yourself to potential problems. Sounds like your battery might have died or been damaged from over heating.

your htc one is or will be running kit kat shortly... well not yours by the looks of it but you know what i mean.

why risk such an expensive piece of equipment to install a rom developed by hippies. this is an honest question what does CM 11 bring to the table that you just couldn't do without?

with so many customisations options in the play store i really don't see the need.

if you had a device running ICS or JB 4.1 which won't get updated it would be understandable...

but ya to your problem at hand... heat is the #1 enemy of a battery. if your issue persists and you can't get rid of CM at any opportunity you'll have to take it in for a battery replacement and pray other components have not been damaged. and then there is the warranty void to consider as well...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for replying both of you, I just got a little too desperate and wanted to try it out. Well I learned my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
    your htc one is or will be running kit kat shortly... well not yours by the looks of it but you know what i mean.

why risk such an expensive piece of equipment to install a rom developed by hippies. this is an honest question what does CM 11 bring to the table that you just couldn't do without?

with so many customisations options in the play store i really don't see the need.

if you had a device running ICS or JB 4.1 which won't get updated it would be understandable...
    Were not here to belittle a member for a mistake, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
    but ya to your problem at hand... heat is the #1 enemy of a battery. if your issue persists and you can't get rid of CM at any opportunity you'll have to take it in for a battery replacement and pray other components have not been damaged. and then there is the warranty void to consider as well...

CM and other ROMs are not a bad thing, I've ran them for years and been thankful for what they bring to the table. Unfortunately though its a known fact that even with a stellar team like CM you take a risk when running Nightlies.

The situation the OP is in his only real option is too see about doing a self replacement of the battery or taking it into an independent shop for battery replacement. In the rooted state, upon battery replacement and boot up the OEM/carrier-store will quickly realize its rooted and can charge you full price for the repair of the device and void any further warranty work if they choose.

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Luis Jimenez5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Jimenez5 View Post
    Thanks for replying both of you, I just got a little too desperate and wanted to try it out. Well I learned my lesson.
    [Q] M7VZW Died twice, after installing cm11. Over heating and battery draining fast. - xda-developers
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thank you, What would happen if I didn't have a warranty? What could the price range be?

no idea really for the htc one.

apple charges around $80 to replace their iphone's batteries but the htc one is much harder to work with.

if nothing else is damaged, i *guess*, you'll find it in the rage of $100 - $200, but i could be completely wrong.

the problem is that you've violated the terms of use, and warranty or not you are at their mercy. if they want to charge you for a new phone they could.

That sucks.. I hope they will work with you.

ROMs can be fun just takes a lot of reading before doing anything to ensure its smooth.. There is always that risk though.

Again I hope HTC will work with you on the issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Sense 6

I've heard of software issues for this device arising from flashing CM11 nightly builds but it's a bit interesting how the phone had a spontaneous hardware failure after flashing CM11. Despite the implied volatile nature of their nightly builds, CM11 is actually one of the safest KitKat ROMs to use.

It may be a stretch but perhaps your handset had a pre-existing hardware flaw which was triggered a while after you flashed CM11 to your HTC One?