Sudden battery drop at 10 percent - HTC One

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Every time my phone reaches around 10% it instantly drops to 3 or 4% then instantly after that to 1%... So basically I have to charge my phone before it gets to 10%. Not that big of a deal, but it is annoying not being able to do anything with it when it's at low battery and I'm away from a charger. Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

UPDATE: I'm trying to charge my phone before it gets that low from now on so I won't shorten my battery's lifespan so I can't comment on if the issue persist, but I will say that the calibration has helped the battery to act less weird as far as dropping fast in certain areas but not others. I'm just going to try not to think about it too much and charge it before it gets too low.

Last edited:

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
this is more or less what i used to do when i had to calibrate my iphone:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-s/174458-how-calibrate-battery.html

the main difference between his technique and mine was that i left the phone about an hour with a drained battery before charging it again.

if your phone is rooted, there is an app that does all of this for you.

some people on that thread say they've noticed increased battery life, but that is not what this does. what this tries to accomplish is to match your real battery capacity with the indicator, as well as minimising weird fluctuations.

letting your battery drain frequently will damage it so beware.

if this does not help, however, perhaps you should take it in for repairs.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

the main difference between his technique and mine was that i left the phone about an hour with a drained battery before charging it again.

some people on that thread say they've noticed increased battery life, but that is not what this does. what this tries to accomplish is to match your real battery capacity with the indicator, as well as minimising weird fluctuations.

Okay, so this is like a once every few months kind of procedure?

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
i wouldn't look at it that way.

i've had my htc one for 6 months and have not done it once with this phone.

my advice is you should do it only if your battery is behaving in a weird way.

if its constantly wonky, it might be damaged or old already, and there is nothing you can do but change it.

also, you seem to let your battery drain often. try to avoid that. in the worst case scenario, it is best to charge it when you get the alert at 15%. obviously, sometimes that might not be possible but at least try to minimise the use when it reaches that point.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
i wouldn't look at it that way.

i've had my htc one for 6 months and have not done it once with this phone.

my advice is you should do it only if your battery is behaving in a weird way.

if its constantly wonky, it might be damaged or old already, and there is nothing you can do but change it.

also, you seem to let your battery drain often. try to avoid that. in the worst case scenario, it is best to charge it when you get the alert at 15%. obviously, sometimes that might not be possible but at least try to minimise the use when it reaches that point.

I do let it die more than I should, I usually make it through a day, but today I took it off the charger at 6:30 and it died at 5:00. I'm not sure what normal battery life is for this phone. I will do the calibration tomorrow and then start charging around 15% from now on. Thanks for the help and advice!

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Hey, quick question, I'm on the third step of the battery calibration and the 4th and 5th are confusing. He says to plug it in but let it sleep for about 30 mins, then the next step is unplug when light turns green. So should I let it sit plugged in for 30 mins or unplug it if it charges before then?

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
unplug when its complete.

don't worry if you extend the time though, it shouldn't really affect the process.

My phone was at 21% and I unplugged it for a sec and plugged it back in and it went to 19%, and it was stuck there I then turned the phone off to see what it would say then and it said %15. Idk what's up with this thing.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
odd indeed.

maybe check your battery history for that time to see if the graph shows these fluctuations.

also, there might have been a process running in the background such as a back-up or something that could have sped up the battery drain.

at the end of the day this is why i keep the % turned off in my phone. i can't be bothered to stress myself out with percentages lol. i just expect the battery to last for a certain amount of time and if i am not satisfied with it, i might look at the history graph to find out where all the juice went. otherwise, the only time in the day i know how much % of juice i've got is when i get the 15% alert.

sometimes ignorance is bliss. but hey i ran out of ideas maybe try the battery guru : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app&token=F_ZERq_Y it might help to extend your battery life or avoid hick-ups by preventing certain processes running in the background more than they should.

otherwise you'll need to change the battery.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
odd indeed.

maybe check your battery history for that time to see if the graph shows these fluctuations.

also, there might have been a process running in the background such as a back-up or something that could have sped up the battery drain.

at the end of the day this is why i keep the % turned off in my phone. i can't be bothered to stress myself out with percentages lol. i just expect the battery to last for a certain amount of time and if i am not satisfied with it, i might look at the history graph to find out where all the juice went. otherwise, the only time in the day i know how much % of juice i've got is when i get the 15% alert.

sometimes ignorance is bliss. but hey i ran out of ideas maybe try the battery guru : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app&token=eMDAhbKP it might help to extend your battery life or avoid hick-ups by preventing certain processes running in the background more than they should.

otherwise you'll need to change the battery.

It did it a little after 5 pm, not that big of a fluctuation, although there is one spot beforehand with a sudden drop. I might have to turn off the percent cause like you said ignorance is bliss and I pay too much attention to it. As long as I can make it through a day on battery I'll let it be, but if it's get worse I'll get it repaired before warranty runs out in April.

Attachments

• 1391472801526.jpg
    1391472801526.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 30

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
It did it a little after 5 pm, not that big of a fluctuation, although there is one spot beforehand with a sudden drop. I might have to turn off the percent cause like you said ignorance is bliss and I pay too much attention to it. As long as I can make it through a day on battery I'll let it be, but if it's get worse I'll get it repaired before warranty runs out in April.

notice how the battery level is not going up even when charging after 5PM, especially when your screen is off? that is weird. the only time i get a drain even when charging is if im playing a very intense game. are you using your stock adapter?

also, i've noticed your mobile network signal strength is very weak. this will consume more battery as well as the phone tries harder to connect to antenas. preferably, it should be dark green throughout (like the charging bar).

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
notice how the battery level is not going up even when charging after 5PM, especially when your screen is off? that is weird. the only time i get a drain even when charging is if im playing a very intense game. are you using your stock adapter?

also, i've noticed your mobile network signal strength is very weak. this will consume more battery as well as the phone tries harder to connect to antenas. preferably, it should be dark green throughout (like the charging bar).

Yes stock cable, and yeah signal sucks here. I also should mention that on more than one occasion I have woke up to find that it didn't charge overnight.. like it would be on 70 something %

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes stock cable, and yeah signal sucks here. I also should mention that on more than one occasion I have woke up to find that it didn't charge overnight.. like it would be on 70 something %

notice how the battery level shoots up as soon as i plug it in:

Attachments

• 2014-02-04 01.12.16.png
    2014-02-04 01.12.16.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 24