Sudden battery drop at 10 percent - HTC One

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
ya after an hour of being plugged in.

also you have a curious drop between 1 and 2 PM.

i bet those are the drops that are driving you mad.

Yes, I can't stand it haha. I'm dreading sending this thing in again if it comes to that.. It'll be my 4th replacement, or I can get it repaired for the 2nd time. Htc didn't actually repair my phone last time though. An hour of plugged in but no charging is unacceptable. Kinda makes me want the old style removable back phones so I could just pop a new battery in. I'll just have to keep an eye on the charts

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I can't stand it haha. I'm dreading sending this thing in again if it comes to that.. It'll be my 4th replacement, or I can get it repaired for the 2nd time. Htc didn't actually repair my phone last time though. An hour of plugged in but no charging is unacceptable. I'll just have to keep an eye on the charts

to be fair, i think you havent been very kind to your battery :p

whilst i am of those who think people should just "use the phone" instead of analysing every single angle looking for problems, the battery is the exception that to some extent, has to be taken care of if you expect it to behave.

not too much heat, not letting it die, preferably charge above 20% and certainly no less than 5%.

if you do some research, they'll all say about the same thing:

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

once you get into the habit it becomes second nature.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

whilst i am of those who think people should just "use the phone" instead of analysing every single angle looking for problems, the battery is the exception that to some extent, has to be taken care of if you expect it to behave.

not too much heat, not letting it die, preferably charge above 20% and certainly no less than 5%.

Yeah haha that's a fair assumption. It gets so hot down here in the south, it doesn't help. However I received this refurbished device from At&t in December so not too old, although it could have been abused before I even got it. Its hit or miss with refurbs, but it was my only option because It allowed me to keep my device, and the one time I tried Htc they didn't fix the issue.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Full charge chart

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1391480747736.jpg
    1391480747736.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 19

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

How does your battery do after you take it off the charger when full? My literally just dropped almost 10 percent in 6 minutes after it said it was full.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
as i said, i don't look at percentages. i *think* the tip of the battery icon disappears once it reaches 90%, in which case it takes a little while... maybe 30-40 minutes of constant yet light usage (listening to music, browsing the web, checking emails, corresponding on IM, etc.) Nothing too extreme like gaming.

you can see that in the graph i posted above. earlier than 11AM i was at 100% and by 11:30AM with almost constant screen on (and usage) i reached about 90%.

your battery is damaged man. it became clear when it failed to charge for an hour. you now need to decide whether you can put up with it or go through the hassle of getting it fixed.

people have commented with positive experiences here on this forum when they sent it back to HTC. it sucks waiting for a couple of weeks to get the phone back but you'll need to decide if its worth it.

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
as i said, i don't look at percentages. i *think* the tip of the battery icon disappears once it reaches 90%, in which case it takes a little while... maybe 30-40 minutes of constant yet light usage (listening to music, browsing the web, checking emails, corresponding on IM, etc.) Nothing too extreme like gaming.

you can see that in the graph i posted above. earlier than 11AM i was at 100% and by 11:30AM with almost constant screen on (and usage) i reached about 90%.

your battery is damaged man. it became clear when it failed to charge for an hour. you now need to decide whether you can put up with it or go through the hassle of getting it fixed.

people have commented with positive experiences here on this forum when they sent it back to HTC. it sucks waiting for a couple of weeks to get the phone back but you'll need to decide if its worth it.

I know I'm muddying the waters on this topic, but I'm convinced that some of my problems are software related

I'm trying to understand this bug, as you can see my charge chart is pretty normal until 90% where it shoots up. This must mean that the software is just saying the phone is charged when in reality its not, so taking it off the charger right after it reaches 100 would cause it to quickly drop back to the low 90s.. If the chart were right it would be a nice slow trickle charge to 100. So in other words the phone is lying for whatever reason.

Attachments

• 1391654259964.jpg
    1391654259964.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 19

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Well I finally bit the bullet as I've had continued problems so sending this thing in

shathil

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
The actual capacity of a battery decreases as the battery ages through an irreversible fading process. This capacity loss occurs both with active use, correlated with charging cycles, and with inactivity through self-discharge. The device may even come with substandard batteries. However, the amount of loss is linear with time and accelerates with increasing temperature. Smartphones do not typically employ sophisticated techniques for estimating the usable capacity with the basic solution basing on simple charge cycle estimation and then using an offline calibrated lookup table to find the state of charge or battery level given the charge cycle.

Battery level or State of Charge (SOC) estimation in modern smartphones cannot capture the usable capacity of the battery run time, and thus have unreliable SOC estimation. This inaccuracy manifests as sudden jumps in the battery level, and can result in unexpected shutdown of the device.

Therefore, there are two issues; (1) The battery capacity is reduced, and (ii) The device is unable to estimate the capacity loss. The detail about this can be found in the following paper.

Page on acm.org Sudden Drop in the Battery Level? Understanding Smartphone State of Charge Anomaly.

Mikey Curtis

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
It did it a little after 5 pm, not that big of a fluctuation, although there is one spot beforehand with a sudden drop. I might have to turn off the percent cause like you said ignorance is bliss and I pay too much attention to it. As long as I can make it through a day on battery I'll let it be, but if it's get worse I'll get it repaired before warranty runs out in April.

I have the same phone and symptoms. What do u think that cut could mean, near the end, on service and WiFi? I'm curious

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781