HTC One : Battery Life Issue Since 4.4.2 Update

affierul

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
This is my first time ever encountered such nonsense in my battery life.

It had suddenly from like I'm on heavy duty. I didn't touch anything and using Whatsapp.

Since I am not a good in explaining, please refer to the screen shot and help me.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Are you updating to Android 4.4.2 or still running Android 4.3?

If you recently updated to 4.4.2 and didn't do a factory reset then that could be the source of your problems. Normally any heavy update like the 4.4.2 update should follow up with a factory reset to give the device a fresh start.

affierul

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Are you updating to Android 4.4.2 or still running Android 4.3?

If you recently updated to 4.4.2 and didn't do a factory reset then that could be the source of your problems. Normally any heavy update like the 4.4.2 update should follow up with a factory reset to give the device a fresh start.

I guess you must be right then. I had just updated to 4.4.2 recently. Factory reset is just for the setting correct? It had nothing to lose right?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would first backup any and all photos, etc on your internal storage. Make sure under Settings/ Backup & Restore you have the options enabled to have Google save/backup your settings so some stuff is restored to make it easier (WiFi settings, basic settings, etc).

Text messages you can use SMS Backup & Restore from the Google Play Store.

Otherwise, I recommend it if you having poor battery life and any other strange issues since the update. Not everyone shares the same suggestion but to each their own.

affierul

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
One last question.

Since it had dropped significantly from 100 to 88 within 10 minutes without doing nothing.

Factory reset (hard reset)
Or battery calibration should be better?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Not everyone shares the same suggestion but to each their own.

I tend to agree. A lot of people do a reset after every large update. I only do if I'm experiencing problems.

I never lose my photos during a reset either but I would surely back everything up regardless.

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

affierul

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I had never done any reset to my phone.

I had search on how to do complete backup for my phone since I need to do the factory reset.

Please assist me regarding this issue.

Can anyone link me the full procedure for factory reset and backup?

Thank you.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago the battery started draining rapidly on my HTC One and it would feel hot. I tried everything to stop the drain, but nothing worked. I suspected the drain might have been related to some app updates but disabling the apps that had recently updated didn't help either. I Greenified every app on the phone and the drain didn't stop or even slow down. Finally, I had no choice but to do a factory reset and that solved the problem

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I would pull all files off your phone, like pictures, music, etc and copy/paste them to your PC. If you have any texts, use Kies to help you with that. Make sure contacts are backed up in some way, either through Kies, or synced to Google.

Then go to Settings>Backup and reset>Factory data reset.

One piece of advice on the SD card: Use it to store your media only. Keep your apps on the device itself.

Hope that helps. If not, by all means ask for clarification.

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yet another reason against non removable batteries

Removable battery is worthless if you never buy another and don't want to. Some people carry around enough stuff. I almost got the One but the battery concerns made me decide against it. The camera is nice, too bad.

Moat people who complain about the embedded batteries never buy a spare anyways. There are power packs that don't force you to take your phone out of a case to swap the battery, practically twice a day.

I always recommend resetting after abhor update. It has always allowed me to avoid android update issues. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

patwhit81

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Probably a stupid question, but how do you do a factory reset? What I don't want to lose are my contacts. My pics are backed up by dropbox. Would I lose contacts during a factory reset?

After the update my battery drain is ridiculous and need this fixed asap.

affierul

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Probably a stupid question, but how do you do a factory reset? What I don't want to lose are my contacts. My pics are backed up by dropbox. Would I lose contacts during a factory reset?

After the update my battery drain is ridiculous and need this fixed asap.

You my just back up using HTC backup and drop. I believed HTC backup with backup your contacts and Dropbox should backup your gallery stuff.

I'm still didn't perform factory reset due to above same reason. Unsure how and unsure whether my phone can be restore properly.

Totally noob

Josh Purvis

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.. I found a fix for this on Verizon's community forum which worked for me. It doesn't require you to do a factory restore and you shouldn't lose any application or personal data. However I must include my disclaimer:

Try this at your own risk!

Basically you just need to wipe the cache partition via recovery mode. Here's the source post which originated from an e-mail from an HTC representative: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1067095#1067095

Below, I've cleaned it up a bit and modified it slightly for Virgin Mobile, but if you can find the menu options for steps #1-3 then the rest should work for any carrier.

1. Disable Fast Boot. Go to Settings > Power, and disable Fast Boot
  2. Next enable developer mode if you haven't already. Go to Settings > About > Software Information > More > and then tap on "Build Number" about 3 or 4 times until it says you are a developer. (This is a ridiculous way to enable developer mode. I don't recall having to do this on older versions.)
  3. Enable USB debugging. Go to Settings > Developer options > and enable "USB debugging"
  4. Power off the phone.
  5. Press and hold the Volume Down button and then while still holding the Volume down, press the Power button as well. You will get a menu giving you options such as: Fastboot, Recovery, Clear Storage, and SIMlock. Navigate to “Recovery” using volume buttons, then press power to select.
  6. The screen will change to display a phone on its back, with the update symbol above it. Momentarily it will change to an image of a phone with a red triangle and exclamation mark.
  7. Press and hold volume up then press the power button for about 3 seconds. You will see something very similar to the example shown below.

e:can’t open /cache/recovery/command
    e:/ failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory exists)
  8. A new screen will give you various repair and recovery options.
  9. Navigate to “Wipe Cache” with the volume down button and select with Power.
  10. Navigate to “Reboot Phone” with the volume buttons and select with power.

Now your HTC One and Android 4.4.2 should play along nicely and not destroy your battery!

Brian K2

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I started having significant battery drain about a week after installing the update. I use GSAM Battery Monitor, which shows MediaServer is using a lot of my battery. Anyone know what that is? I called HTC a couple weeks ago, and they had me recalibrate the battery. Later, I wiped the cache (using the directions outlined above).

After recalibrating the battery, the battery was holding the power again (and MediaServer usage dissapeared from GSAM) for about a week. Then, suddenly (for reasons I can't figure out), the battery started draining quickly again and, sure enough, the MediaServer showed up again in GSAM Battery Monitor as the culprit. I called HTC again, and they had me do a factory reset. After the factory reset, the battery was good again (and MediaServer did not show up as using power in GSAM) for about a week.

I have search the web extensivly for MediaServer and battery drain. There is a lot of discussion, but I can't figure out how to correct the problem. It keeps re-appearing every couple days now.

Any suggestions?