Hot Pixel on Screen - Won't Go Away, Only In Certain Backgrounds - Any Ideas?

benrk

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I have a Sprint HTC One. I have an issue with my screen. One pixel at the bottom of the screen is pink in certain backgrounds. While this is not a deal breaker, it is very annoying and I want to fix it. :'(

It reappeared after about 2 weeks of it going away. The first time it came, I was on CyanogenMod 11. Now I am on 4.4.2 100% stock Sense. I have performed a factory reset. The pixel is pink even when in recovery and fastboot (no Android OS).

I attempted a screen flush with one of those flashing screen programs on Google Play store, and ran it for separate 10 hour and 8 hour intervals, with no luck. I bought this device used and the bootloader has been unlocked, so warranty claim is probably going to cost more than it is worth.

I hope some of you have any ideas! Thank you so much for any help!

Ben K.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you can't 'warranty claim' this one... There are guidelines for 'dead' pixels and if it's only one, it's not enough to warrant an exchange. The problem seems to be hardware related, and I don't think any software solutions might help. The reason you're seeing this in certain backgrounds is probably due to the color being displayed, as the damage might be either on the LCD Panel connector (a loose pin, a fried terminal, etc.) that's sending the wrong info or it might be a malfunction in the sub-pixels, which would cause the wrong color to appear on the 'final' pixel.

Try this: Take an image of a pure-white square (don't take a picture of a white sheet, that'll induce shadows and irregularities) and display it full screen. If the pixel shows up with the wrong color, then it's definitely a hardware issue.

benrk

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!
Okay... I factory reset the phone and it's gone. Is it possible that an app can do this or what's going on?