NFC quick setting

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Is they a way to add an NFC toggle to the stock quick settings shade. I would just leave it on but I hate the icon. I am not interested in rooting either.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can't customize the Quick Settings in stock Android (although I can't speak specifically about the One). You might like Power Toggles, which allows you to place a customizable toggle bar on the homescreen or in the notification shade.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
While there are multiple options to have on your toggle screen NFC unfortunately don't seem to be one of them. I do agree with B though. I use power toggles which has many choices

Example: 1393732636370.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This one I added NFC all the way to the right

1393732770446.jpg

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can't customize the Quick Settings in stock Android (although I can't speak specifically about the One). You might like Power Toggles, which allows you to place a customizable toggle bar on the homescreen or in the notification shade.

Interesting that htc chose to leave this out. My note 3 id bone stock and can customize the quick toggles

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that htc chose to leave this out. My note 3 id bone stock and can customize the quick toggles

You can. There are 20 options of which up to 12 can be used at a time

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can. There are 20 options of which up to 12 can be used at a time

Ah so only nfc was left out for some reason.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yea unfortunately we're subject to the whim of our makers lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea unfortunately we're subject to the whim of our makers lol

And carriers... My friend on tmobile asked how to toggle off mobile data on his tmobile Note II...I showed him how to do it on my note 2, but To my surprise, the mobile data toggle option was not available on the tmobile Note II. He had to install a third party widget to get it to work

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Crazy isn't it. First we have Google with base android. Then you have the phone companies that want there own version of a UI. Then we have the cell providers that have to tweak the the phone companies version of Google's operating system.

Well that's a lot of fingers in a little ol' phone

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Crazy isn't it. First we have Google with base android. Then you have the phone companies that want there own version of a UI. Then we have the cell providers that have to tweak the the phone companies version of Google's operating system.

Well that's a lot of fingers in a little ol' phone

Another example, Verizon disabled wireless charging on the note 2. They physically blocked the Wireless charging pins. If you physically remove the plastic in front of the pins then it works. Also menu configuration is way different between the Verizon and tmobile versions.

Btw, it isn't only OEMs and cell phone providers but retailers who may get exclusive devices, though those are usually just color variations like what best buy wants.

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The reason (I'm guessing here) that NFC isn't one of the selectable quick toggles in Sense is that android doesn't allow quick toggling of NFC. I've read it's a security issue. You can put the NFC toggle in power toggles (as shown above), but without rooting it won't actually turn NFC on and off, it just takes you to the settings menu so you can to it yourself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The reason (I'm guessing here) that NFC isn't one of the selectable quick toggles in Sense is that android doesn't allow quick toggling of NFC. I've read it's a security issue. You can put the NFC toggle in power toggles (as shown above), but without rooting it won't actually turn NFC on and off, it just takes you to the settings menu so you can to it yourself.

Thanks for that info--I've never actually used the NFC toggle, so I didn't know that.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice. Thank you. I don't use nfc either, just added the toggle too show.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Well Samsung can do it. On my note 3, pressing the toggle turns on or off nfc directly. No need to go to the Settings menu. Maybe this is a Samsung modification